New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Portraits at Florida Supercon 2016

Max_Pain
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Portraits at Florida Supercon 2016

My wife and I regularly attend conventions here in Florida, about 4 a year. Supercon is the biggest one we get down here, and it's always a blast. Like always, I took tons of photos. This year I was more into portraits with what I was going for. Here are a few I enjoyed.

Edited on Jul 17, 2016 at 09:18 PM · View previous versions

Jul 17, 2016 at 09:17 PM
Max_Pain
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Portraits at Florida Supercon 2016

6-10.

Jul 17, 2016 at 09:18 PM
CW100
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Portraits at Florida Supercon 2016

nice cosplay pix

Jul 19, 2016 at 06:00 AM
scottiet
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Portraits at Florida Supercon 2016

Nice set, thanks for sharing. Looks to be a lot of fun!

Jul 19, 2016 at 06:42 AM
Max_Pain
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Portraits at Florida Supercon 2016

Thank you for the kind comments.

It is fun. It is also very exhausting. We usually go one day out of the weekend. A lot of these cosplayers go every single day of the event and are there from open to close. How they can do that, I don't know.

Anyways, I take tons of photos every time. This time took way too many at the karaoke event. That was fun.

Jul 19, 2016 at 08:37 AM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Portraits at Florida Supercon 2016

Nice set. How do you get those eyes in #8?

My pick was #1, and that's before I scrolled down beyond her necklace.

Jul 22, 2016 at 07:40 PM
Max_Pain
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Portraits at Florida Supercon 2016

Jim Rickards wrote:
Nice set. How do you get those eyes in #8?

Not sure what you mean. Those are contacts he was wearing. Metadata says flash didn't fire (I know I had a speedlight with me but don't remember photo to photo when it fired). The light on the eyes is probably from the overhead bulbs.

Jim Rickards wrote:
My pick was #1, and that's before I scrolled down beyond her necklace.

I know what you mean. But sorry to ruin it for ya, but she's probably under aged. These conventions are a fine line between getting a nice photo and being the pervy guy photographing attractive and barely dressed women. I try to avoid the latter - having my wife with me helps a lot

Would you be surprised to know that #10 was topless and only had body paint from the waist up? I purposely aimed the camera neck up for my sanity

Jul 23, 2016 at 07:26 PM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Portraits at Florida Supercon 2016

Max_Pain wrote:
Not sure what you mean. Those are contacts he was wearing. Metadata says flash didn't fire (I know I had a speedlight with me but don't remember photo to photo when it fired). The light on the eyes is probably from the overhead bulbs.

I know what you mean. But sorry to ruin it for ya, but she's probably under aged. These conventions are a fine line between getting a nice photo and being the pervy guy photographing attractive and barely dressed women. I try to avoid the latter - having my wife with me helps a lot

Would you be
...Show more
Contacts - that explains the colour! Thanks.

Although I admire beauty where I find it, my comments are always on the photography - how well you did your job, not how sexy the model is. Number 1 was my top pick for those reasons.

To me, it was fairly obvious #10 was plastered in body paint, so topless was almost expected. I see no reason for aiming high for those shots. They are presenting themselves to show all who are looking, so click away. If your wife is reasonable, she'll be OK with it.

Jul 24, 2016 at 06:23 AM
Max_Pain
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Portraits at Florida Supercon 2016

Well said.

As far as #10, there's a story behind it. This was taken on the entrance area near the end of the day. I literally had 4-5 seconds from when she walked near me, I asked for a photo, she agreed, I snapped the shutter, and she walked away because she was leaving. Only in my peripheral did I notice something wasn't quite "there" and it was brought to my attention by the others after I took the picture that she was topless. I don't think I would have taken the photo of the whole thing anyways because I share these photos on Facebook and other media that might end up in front of children's eyes and I'd rather avoid that

Jul 24, 2016 at 10:19 AM
Mark Rigsby
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Portraits at Florida Supercon 2016

very nice hall shots. I do a ton of cosplay photography and you captured them well. Great job

Jul 28, 2016 at 03:06 PM
sizzzzlerz

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Portraits at Florida Supercon 2016

Absolutely nothing wrong with your photos but I like to see the full costumes, not just head shots. These people devote an amazing amount of time to dress up like they do; seeing the whole thing allows appreciation of that effort.

Jul 29, 2016 at 12:49 PM
Max_Pain
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Portraits at Florida Supercon 2016

Thanks. I get your point, I do have some full body shots from this event as well as the many others I've attended on my 500px site, but I always try to pick only a few to share here. This year I was on a portrait kick. Last year I was on a film kick, so took my 1N with some Tri-X 400 with me. Depends on my mood.

There's also the issue that it's much easier to isolate the subject in a crowded convention hall when you're doing a headshot than when shooting the entire body.

Jul 29, 2016 at 01:39 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.