FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2016 · Some (embarrassing) tripod plate questions

Two23
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Some (embarrassing) tripod plate questions

Fotografpaul wrote:
Not sure how loosening the ballhead and positioning the camera in portrait orientation will drive anyone crazy, this opposed to un mounting the camera and flip it ?

The non-dedicated plates are flat, the dedicate plates wrap around an edge of the camera. This keeps it from rotating on its axis (the bottom screw.) This drives you crazy. An L-plate is so much easier to use, and is FAR more stable. First thing I do with a new camera is get one.

Kent in SD

Jul 19, 2016 at 09:31 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Some (embarrassing) tripod plate questions

shorter focal length macro lenses using racks.

Jul 19, 2016 at 09:33 PM
Fotografpaul
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Some (embarrassing) tripod plate questions

Two23 wrote:
The non-dedicated plates are flat, the dedicate plates wrap around an edge of the camera. This keeps it from rotating on its axis (the bottom screw.) This drives you crazy. An L-plate is so much easier to use, and is FAR more stable. First thing I do with a new camera is get one.

Kent in SD

That entirely depends on the plate, those with some rubber will often stay put. With heavier lenses you will have a lens collar so that will never be a issue.

Yes there are cheap plates that can rotate, but saying they all do it is of course not true at all.

I have RRS plates on my cameras, so im not saying they aren't good they are probably the best. But i had plenty of non custom fit plates on my cameras and never had a camera twisting on me. This includes manfrottos 504 and 410PL plates.

Even RRS custom L-plate can at times be not that custom... Read at least one report on POTN where a user had his custom l-plate move slightly. Does that mean every RRS plate will have a loose in fit ? Of course not.

Jul 20, 2016 at 02:33 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Some (embarrassing) tripod plate questions

most issues with L plate movement ends up being situations with add-on grips. the grips themselves are structurally suspect.

Jul 20, 2016 at 05:43 AM
Fotografpaul
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Some (embarrassing) tripod plate questions

Yes, but there is a difference. Play between grip and camera and play between plate and grip. If RRS makes a custom plate for the grip then one should expect it to be no play at all.

Having add on grip will always introduce flex in the joint to some degree.

Jul 20, 2016 at 06:31 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Some (embarrassing) tripod plate questions

you're under the assumption that RRS is at fault. there are 2 sides to this "fit" equation. grips are made from thin wall material and they actually do the flexing too. the base tripod screw attachment point too. 3rd party grips are for the most part quality reflected in their pricing. cheap and cheap. RRS makes the L for the original camera manufacturers grip. they are not responsible for the grip ability to keep its shape when loaded*. 3rd party grips generally won't fit well at all. I hope you can agree that the machined aluminum alloy is pretty much rigid. in addition there is flex at the joint between camera body and grip. the only cameras that really don't have flex are the integrated bodies where the grip/body are one homogenous mass.

*this was an issue a few years ago with a particular canon modular grip. it was not that well made. it was of a polymer material.

if you put a RRS plate on the camera/grip it was designed for properly it will fit. flex will be a 2 part equation as I said in the beginning. I have had their L plates for almost every Canon/Nikon body I have owned. there was only one that I did not like and ended up with a Kirk. it had nothing to do with this function of fit that we are discussing.

the only L plates I have ever used are those that integrate into the original homogenous body.

the L plate for the D500 body w/o grip is outstanding.

Jul 20, 2016 at 07:34 AM
Fotografpaul
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Some (embarrassing) tripod plate questions

Yes there is of course no sure way to say that the grip isn't at fault. Still this was a original grip and i can assure you RRS is not without fault regardless how highly one might think of them. Some of their L-plates are poorly designed to begin with, and just like any other companies they have to deal with QC.

Now most grips i'v handled and owned has been Sony and Nikon and unlike som of Canon's these have not been made out crap. Having always had two identical bodies i also had two identical grips and never had a mismatch in L-plates.

Im not familiar with current Canon grip's (in this case it was for the Canon 7DII) so i don't know if they made out of crap or not. But my guess it would be very unlikely that they didn't learn from previous experiences.

Jul 20, 2016 at 04:24 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Some (embarrassing) tripod plate questions

any and every device designed and built will some "level" of compromise at some specific point to attain its main functional goal. such is the nature of things. some makers more some less.

simply put, I never put L plates on modular grips. that being done and said I don't run into most issues.

fit, function and overall design can and will be taken from a relativistic point of view.

these are opinions and as such with the both of us subjective. it being subjective and divergent leads to an inevitable impasse. so it will most likely have issues being resolvable or not.

I see compromises in all things today. but for the most part I also see why and how they are made and why these compromises are incorporated. my experiences/training in one of the 2 fields of endeavor over the past 40+ some odd years that I worked and played in give me a somewhat educated and different perspective on how things are designed and built. my appreciation for design and build leads me to certain products. so until I find a consistently improved product from another source I stick with the one I currently go to.

you know the "lesser of two evils".

Jul 21, 2016 at 07:29 AM
mikeinctown
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Some (embarrassing) tripod plate questions

Max_Pain wrote:
Similarly, I've read on here before about people replacing the foot of their tripod rings so they can be natively used with the tripod. Is it a better idea to do so with my tripod ring for the 70-200 f/4L IS or should I just use the tripod plate? Works fine as is, just wondering.

Is that option available for the Sigma 150-600 C?

Does it make a difference to use the standard plate vs a longer plate for a longer lens like the Sigma? (i.e. would I benefit from say a 100mm plate over the standard 50mm?).

Thanks for your help (and
...Show more

Since nobody else has answered this question, the Sigma C has a removable ring/foot but does not have a compatible plate adapter. What you need to do is just buy a plate and secure it to the bottom of the foot. The Sigma comes with something like a 110 or 150mm plate which is freaking huge. I picked up a 70mm plate from Amazon made by Desmond that is compatible for something like $13 shipped. Fits perfectly. The Sigma 150-600 S has a foot that the bottom can be removed and then they sell an adapter which transforms the foot into a plate mount.

Jul 27, 2016 at 03:20 PM
Max_Pain
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Some (embarrassing) tripod plate questions

Thank you Mike. I had done some more research on my own and bought an additional plate for the tripod, 60mm instead of the default 50mm size. I'm keeping the 60mm plate on the Sigma, the original 60mm on the 70-200, and got a Kirk plate (not the L-plate though) for the camera. So far it seems like a great arrangement.

Jul 27, 2016 at 06:13 PM
       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.