New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2016 · To Grip or Not To Grip

coppertop
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · To Grip or Not To Grip

After many years shooting with a Canon 1D MKIII, I finally retired (sold) the camera and moved on to a Canon 80D. I don't mind shifting down to the slightly smaller sensor or downsizing to the slower fps. I'm not as active with my photography anymore and the 80D offers the latest and greatest without falling short on meeting my needs.

But here is the question. To grip or not to grip?

I took the 80D out this weekend to chase hummingbirds (did a nice job of things) and was shooting with a Canon 300mm f2.8 w/2x converter in tow. It was the first time to use a big lens with the 80D and it was a noticeably smaller match than what I was used to with the MKIII. I didn't mind the smaller body, but it took some getting used to.

Realizing that it ultimately boils down to personal preference, is there any compelling reason to buy the battery grip? Battery life isn't an issue and portrait orientation isn't a problem either. The added weight of a battery grip isn't a factor. Back when I shot with a 20D, I kept one parked on that body without worrying about being weighted down.

I will miss the larger handle on the camera when carrying the rig around but even with the grip, I'm not sure it would be wise to let the body of the 80D support the full weight of the 300mm f2.8. I doubt it would break but why risk it.

It would be nice if someone made just the extension without the battery/electronic features to extend the body of the 80D. Downside there is that you would have to remove the extension to get to the battery compartment.

Thoughts on the subject is appreciated.

Jul 17, 2016 at 08:35 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · To Grip or Not To Grip

I don't use a battery grip on Canon bodies. It's just another potential failure point and adds unnecessary bulk.

EBH

Jul 17, 2016 at 08:41 AM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · To Grip or Not To Grip

The only compelling reason for a grip is if you are shooting hundreds of photos in fast-unfolding situations, like fast action sports or fashion photography (in certain modes). There you want to change batteries only half as often.

All the other supposedly compelling reasons don't stand up.

Balance is simply not an issue. Balance is obtained by adjusting the position of the palm of the left hand that you balance the system on.

Vertical shutter button positioning is not compelling unless you are shooting large volumes of vertical fashion pictures in a row or some other super-specialized application.

There are compelling reasons to not use a grip. Chief among them is weight.

I have no interest in using a grip.

When I have a heavy lens like the 100-400 on the camera, I carry the rig by the lens. Don't worry about the mount in such a situation, but do worry about holding any camera by the body only when having a large lens on. Basicly, the proper stance with any lens, even small ones, is to have the left palm under the lens at the balance point (which might be under the body for tiny lenses).

Edited on Jul 17, 2016 at 08:56 AM · View previous versions

Jul 17, 2016 at 08:52 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · To Grip or Not To Grip

Only time I use a grip is if I'm going to be shooting vertical oriented images. I don't even put a 2nd battery into the grip to save weight. I find my wrists tire much quicker shooting vertical images without the grip.

Jul 17, 2016 at 08:56 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · To Grip or Not To Grip

coppertop wrote:
I didn't mind the smaller body, but it took some getting used to.

I think that might be the key point.

A lot (though not all) of the ergonomic issues come down to a combination of preference and adaptability, and the two issues overlap. I don't mind using a large camera system, but I' not at all convinced that bigger size and weight is an advantage in and of itself.

My primary system is a 5DsR, but I also use a much smaller Fujifilm mirrorless system as an adjunct. When I first moved to the (much) smaller system, I had a period of awkwardness with the smaller body... until I work up and realized that I simply needed to give it time — changing my instincts did not come overnight, but once it did I ended up liking the smaller body.

In the same way, before long I adapted to moving back and forth between the two system, even carrying and working with both at the same time. You might think that the interface differences — especially the opposite directions in which the lenses focus and zoom — would be a deal-breaker, but the human mind is very adaptable. Eventually, I got to the point that I simple "knew" how each camera worked as soon as I picked it up.

I think that the large camera issue is complex. It is partly a matter of preference, but also a matter of familiarity. I think it is also safe to say that there is an image issue, too — that being seen with a big "professional-looking" setup might be good for one's ego. I think that the latter has at least some effect on the sales of grips. (I know and work with a lot of folks who make their livings in photography... and I don't know one who regularly uses a grip — so think about that if this concern is real for you!)

Of course, in the end, you have to make your own choices based on your own preferences. But given your comment about getting used to the smaller body... give yourself plenty of time to learn the new, smaller system before you assume that adding a grip is required.

Dan

Jul 17, 2016 at 10:06 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · To Grip or Not To Grip

coppertop wrote:
I will miss the larger handle on the camera when carrying the rig around but even with the grip, I'm not sure it would be wise to let the body of the 80D support the full weight of the 300mm f2.8. I doubt it would break but why risk it.

So attach your strap to the lens instead of to the body. Then the heavy lens will be supporting the lighter body instead of vice-versa.

Jul 17, 2016 at 10:10 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · To Grip or Not To Grip

chez wrote:
Only time I use a grip is if I'm going to be shooting vertical oriented images. I don't even put a 2nd battery into the grip to save weight. I find my wrists tire much quicker shooting vertical images without the grip.

Maybe it's strange, but I don't even use the vertical grip part of a 1D series body. The weight of the lens+body in vertical orientation is mainly supported by the left hand so I don't feel much stress on the right.

EBH

Jul 17, 2016 at 10:27 AM
coppertop
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · To Grip or Not To Grip

Thanks for the input. For now, the reasons for not picking up a battery grip are outweighing the reason to buy a battery grip.

I tend to agree that the size differences are nothing more than differences and not shortcomings one way or the other. I never minded the weight of the MKIII and while the size of the larger camera was comfortable, I was using that camera for a good bit. I've owned the 80D for about three months now and suspect that after a few outings with the larger lenses, it will feel just as comfortable.

I'm slated to explore a wildlife refuge in a few weeks. Four days chasing wildlife should be enough to figure out if the grip is a must. My guess is that I'll know sometime around day two.

Thanks again for the input.

Jul 17, 2016 at 11:58 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · To Grip or Not To Grip

The "orientation" issue with grips (and cameras with same built in) is not so clear cut, and I think that the argument go both ways — and come down to preference, habit, and perhaps subjects and shooting styles.

With a grip or 1D-style body, when you switch from landscape to portrait mode you move your hand position on the camera from the "normal" position to the comparable position on the 90 degree rotated camera.

Without such a design, you don't move your fingers on the controls at all. Keeping your hands on the camera the same way you simply rotate your hands and camera 90 degrees.

While the two methods are different, I'm not convinced that one is necessary objectively better than the other once you learn either one.

Dan

Jul 17, 2016 at 01:07 PM
hotdog12
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · To Grip or Not To Grip

I shoot for a living and have grips on both my 5D III bodies. Sure, the extra battery is reassuring, and the vertical shutter release and controls are handy, but mainly it allows me to handle big, heavy lenses more securely. Lenses like the 300 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II and even the 11-24 f/4L are much more maneuverable with a firm grip rather than trying to support the body with your fingertips.

Jul 17, 2016 at 01:27 PM
markymarc
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · To Grip or Not To Grip

If ergonomics are a consideration, I use a RRS L bracket. It adds just a bit of extra length and width. I use the L bracket because I have a RRS monohead but now I am not so sure I can ever live without it anyway. (Unless I went to a 1 series).

Marc

Jul 17, 2016 at 01:47 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · To Grip or Not To Grip

markymarc wrote:
If ergonomics are a consideration, I use a RRS L bracket. It adds just a bit of extra length and width. I use the L bracket because I have a RRS monohead but now I am not so sure I can ever live without it anyway. (Unless I went to a 1 series).

Marc

The OP is using an 80D, but eventually RRS will release a fitted L-bracket for that model. It's been in "pre-order" status for 3 months. But, yeah, I loved the RRS L-bracket on my M4/3 gear mainly so I could get a better grip on those tiny cameras. However I found the vertical component of the bracket interfered with the articulating display on my 70D so I removed it and won't be buying one for my 80D.

Jul 17, 2016 at 02:10 PM
Max_Pain
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · To Grip or Not To Grip

I like the added heft of the grip and the assurance of the extra battery. I've been using grips since the 20D and don't see myself stopping that until I get a 1D body, in which case I won't need it

Jul 17, 2016 at 10:37 PM
Nexu
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · To Grip or Not To Grip

If you use big lenses like 24-70 f2.8 or 70-200 f2.8 then the grip is helpful and just works with the overall package.

If you use smaller primes then I like no grip.

Jul 17, 2016 at 10:40 PM
fplstudio
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · To Grip or Not To Grip

Besides the need of longer battery life the grip can be helpful depending on the situation and style
in my experience I would say
grip on if you shoot events, a lot of portrait sessions, handheld vertical framing, very large lenses
grip off landscapes, tripod works, hiking, candids, etc..

Jul 18, 2016 at 02:16 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · To Grip or Not To Grip

I use a pair of 6D and/or a pair of 1D-series cameras, depending on circumstances. I often use a grip on a 6D when I'm using the 70-200/2.8L IS II or 300/2.8 for handheld shooting at events, partly for the better balance and partly for the better grip and controls for shooting in portrait orientation. I also use the grip if I'm shooting a 6D + 500/4L IS, but that doesn't come up very often.

Jul 18, 2016 at 09:03 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · To Grip or Not To Grip

Monito wrote:
The only compelling reason for a grip is if you are shooting hundreds of photos in fast-unfolding situations, like fast action sports or fashion photography (in certain modes). There you want to change batteries only half as often.

All the other supposedly compelling reasons don't stand up.

Perhaps adding 'in my opinion' might help. Please don't speak as though you speak for everyone.

I have a 'compelling' need to use a grip on my 5D3 for portraits because the grip has a second multi controller and is vastly easier to use in portrait orientation. Plus I prefer the top shutter release when the camera is mounted that way.

Other than that I don't use a grip because it makes the camera bigger and heavier. Changing a battery takes about five seconds and 'in my opinion' isn't a good enough reason to add a grip.

Jul 18, 2016 at 09:07 AM
TrojanHorse
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · To Grip or Not To Grip

"In my opinion" it comes down to your comfort shooting portrait. I really like the vertical grip on the 1d series cameras but I have a 7d2 as well and I purposefully keep that body light, so no grip.

Of course, the 1d style bodies feel much more solid with a grip than the add-on grips too. It's just another personal preference thing.

Jul 18, 2016 at 06:27 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · To Grip or Not To Grip

TrojanHorse wrote:
"In my opinion" it comes down to your comfort shooting portrait. I really like the vertical grip on the 1d series cameras but I have a 7d2 as well and I purposefully keep that body light, so no grip.

Of course, the 1d style bodies feel much more solid with a grip than the add-on grips too. It's just another personal preference thing.

I completely agree - integrated grips are rock solid.

I have a 7D that I would want to grip also.

Jul 18, 2016 at 09:26 PM
D.Hussey
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · To Grip or Not To Grip

I use a grip on 7D2 'cause that thing burns through a battery in no time, especially if I'm using the GPS (which I do a fair bit). Also, and I admit I might be fooling myself on this, but the lens\body combo seems to be better balanced in my hands with the added weight of the grip than with just the bare body

Jul 19, 2016 at 01:53 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.