Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2016 · Where are Japanese cameras made?

CanadaMark
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Where are Japanese cameras made?

HS-LD wrote:
I've shot both systems as well. The Canon bodies seem really expensive for what they are. The D500 is a bargain for what it is. (As one example.)

Lens wise, I am disappointed that Nikon makes the primes in China. I shot the D primes in the 90's and I have a sentimental attachment to them. They still deliver the goods for me. But I tend not to stress my prime shooting too hard. Usually weddings. I would probably upgrade if the new G primes were not $700-800 each AND made in China.

It's a lot easier for me to outfit a
...Show more

Nikon makes a 10-24, 17-55 and a (better) 70-200/4 as well, so how is it "a lot easier" to outfit a DX kit from another manufacturer when they offer virtually the same thing? Why does the geographic location of the manufacturing facility matter when they are using equipment and procedures the same as any other facility? You also know that not all the workers employed in the Japan facilities are Japanese, right? And that where they are assembled is almost certainly not be where every part was manufactured?

Third parties make some lenses that are cheaper and equal to or better than the Canon equivalent as well - do you still buy Canon lenses in those instances?

Interesting you mention the 17-55 IS, one of the most notoriously unreliable lenses around, made in Japan. Failure rates have been as high as 25% reported by lens rental companies with large sample sizes. You mention it as part of your easy DX kit, so I am wondering if you rank country of assembly above actual quality/reliability in all instances, or just when convenient.

All Nikon primes are not made in China.

The 1.8 G-primes are not all $700-800 each. In fact half of them are quite a bit less than that. Most if not all outperform the Canon equivalent.

Can you point me to objective data on Canon lenses being "better across the board"? To date I have not seen a single piece of data to back this up, and just by looking at the big tele's and many of the primes we can already see this is not true.

Do you have any objective evidence that the geographic location of the lens factory has an impact on quality and/or performance? One example that comes to mind is the Nikon 105/2.8 VR MACRO. It switched production from Japan to China, and there has been no difference observed between copies of those lenses made in different countries.

Your personal experience and opinion are one thing, but you sure do make a lot of comments that would benefit from some objective, reliable data that I would be very interested in reading.

I think the only fair statement is that both companies have had their fair share of issues come off of Japanese production lines haha.

Jul 18, 2016 at 01:04 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Where are Japanese cameras made?

I can point you to objective data on Canon lenses being "better across the board" - however, the data are from the 1980s.

Jul 18, 2016 at 01:59 PM
LeifG
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Where are Japanese cameras made?

HS-LD wrote:
I've shot both systems as well. The Canon bodies seem really expensive for what they are. The D500 is a bargain for what it is. (As one example.)

Lens wise, I am disappointed that Nikon makes the primes in China. I shot the D primes in the 90's and I have a sentimental attachment to them. They still deliver the goods for me. But I tend not to stress my prime shooting too hard. Usually weddings. I would probably upgrade if the new G primes were not $700-800 each AND made in China.

I had the old 28mm F2.8 AFD and 24mm F2.8 AFD lenses, mine were optically poor performers. The old 28mm F2.8 AIS was far superior albeit with an old style colour cast.

I have the recent 28mm F1.8 AFS lens, which is optically far superior to the old lens, and the 20mm F1.8 AFS is in the post having been ordered today. The recent lenses are totally new designs to cope with modern high mega pickle count sensors. The fact of being made in China is neither here nor there, the online reviews consistently show them to be stellar lenses, and my own limited experience agrees with that. So yes they cost more, but with good reason. I see that Canon have some similar new designs, which are also first rate.

Jul 18, 2016 at 02:46 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Where are Japanese cameras made?

Berkyboy wrote:
My mother is German, my father is French Canadian, the story goes I was conceived in Mexico but I was born in the USA. I always thought I was "Made in the USA."

Steve

I am Made in America using genuine Slovak parts. (Pierogi Fest T shirt.)

Jul 18, 2016 at 06:22 PM
TooManyShots
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Where are Japanese cameras made?

Because there are no laws in America that would require the products to be considered Made in the USA to have certain percentage of parts domestically manufactured.

I believe in the EU there are laws requiring the products to have certain percentage of parts manufactured domestically in order to be considered, for an example, Made in Germany.

Jul 18, 2016 at 09:45 PM
nugeny
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Where are Japanese cameras made?

TooManyShots wrote:
Because there are no laws in America that would require the products to be considered Made in the USA to have certain percentage of parts domestically manufactured.

I believe in the EU there are laws requiring the products to have certain percentage of parts manufactured domestically in order to be considered, for an example, Made in Germany.

Now it is silly! Who cares where it is made. Only one: it has to be ID, so if it is bad, I wouldn't buy it again.

Jul 18, 2016 at 09:50 PM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.