New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Laserjet Printer Advice Needed

Maineguy
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Laserjet Printer Advice Needed

I own a 24" i-Mac and am looking for a black ink laserjet printer that is compatible with a Mac computer. I want the cheapest and "best bang for my buck" laserjet printer. I will only use this for printing an occasional document. If it had a build-in scanner, that would be a bonus.

Jul 16, 2016 at 09:40 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Laserjet Printer Advice Needed

You might find a business deskjet is a better buy - they cost around the same to run and take less space.

I have a colour laser at home - a Canon LBP 7110cw. It works ok, no problems so far. My only complaint is that it reports empty cartridges long long before they actually are empty. And it does this every time you print. You can overrule the error, but it is an annoyance.

Jul 17, 2016 at 06:31 AM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Laserjet Printer Advice Needed

Look into 'Brother' brand, their HL series of lasers. They are very Mac friendly and never a problem. They've got several very inexpensive printers

Jul 17, 2016 at 06:50 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Laserjet Printer Advice Needed

I love hp Laserjet printers. Find a lightly used one on ebay that meets your monthly print needs.

Brother printers do something weird with the toner. I wind up with grainy pages eventually along with more breakdowns. I'll never go back. Brother makes great cheap scanner/fax machines that will print but I only use them as cheap scanners.

If you rarely print however, a multi function brother is probably a good bang for your buck.

Jul 17, 2016 at 08:40 AM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Laserjet Printer Advice Needed

I've not had those sorts of issues w/ multiple Brother lasers.

Jul 17, 2016 at 12:51 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Laserjet Printer Advice Needed

Maineguy wrote:
I own a 24" i-Mac and am looking for a black ink laserjet printer that is compatible with a Mac computer. I want the cheapest and "best bang for my buck" laserjet printer. I will only use this for printing an occasional document. If it had a build-in scanner, that would be a bonus.

I have a less than half dozen pages printed, scanner(platen) never used(film still in place), copier never used HP B210A All In One.
I do NOT use it at all nor have I used it in years. It was a one for one replacement for a HP that had that broke and was no longer manufactured. It is MAC compatible.

You want it..pay shipping and it is yours! All included but cable. It is NOT a LaserJet. Look for a HP 4L used. Had mine 15 years and runs like a top and never a problem.
PM me.

Jul 19, 2016 at 09:06 AM
kdphotography
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Laserjet Printer Advice Needed

For a B&W business/school printer---there are many inexpensive options. I think laser printers are best for both quality and performance.

I picked up a couple Canon d530 printers for each of my sons to use--work great. Includes a scanner and a handy copier function. Hard to beat the price under $200 for a printer and toner package: https://www.amazon.com/Canon-imageCLASS-D530-Monochrome-Printer/dp/B008YD1V08/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1468942976&sr=8-1&keywords=canon+d530

For my business, I use a color laser printer and like the Xerox Phaser line.

ken

Jul 19, 2016 at 10:46 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Laserjet Printer Advice Needed

howardm4 wrote:

For light duty use, the brother lasers are ok. For more moderate loads half a dozen in our office were a pain to maintain. YMMV

Jul 19, 2016 at 07:58 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Laserjet Printer Advice Needed

howardm4 wrote:

I think you are the first person i've seen recommending Brother printers. All the IT professionals i've known stay well clear of them.

Jul 20, 2016 at 02:39 AM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Laserjet Printer Advice Needed

I can only say what my personal experience w/ them has been in a home environment.

As an IT professional, of course my company uses big HPs but they are certainly not w/o their own set of issues.

No problem w/ any of their lasers or label makers. I did kill one of their lasers by using 3rd party toner though. They have ongoing and good Mac driver support.

Jul 20, 2016 at 10:48 AM
BluesWest
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Laserjet Printer Advice Needed

I think you are the first person i've seen recommending Brother printers.

I have a Brother HL-2270DW printer that I use for personal / home office use, and it is far and away the best laser printer I've owned -- much better than the HP and Samsung printers I've used in the past. The toner is inexpensive, output quality is excellent, the wireless connection was easy to set up, and it has never jammed once in the four years I've had it.

John

Jul 20, 2016 at 09:33 PM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Laserjet Printer Advice Needed

The best officejet all in one I have found is from Canon and better than those from HP and Brother. For a standalone laserjet I have had great results with HP printers. For B&W I have been using a HP 4100 for the past 15 years and it still works perfectly. For color I use a HP Laserjet Pro 200 and it is very reliable and good for B&W as well.

The cost of a printer is trivial compared to the cost of replacement toner cartridges. With the Canon all in one I can get large size toner cartridges and save money. The lowest cost per page though is with the HP 4100 but a very wide margin.

The manufacturers' specs for pages per cartridge should be reduced by at least 50% to get something close to an accurate estimate of cost per page.

Jul 25, 2016 at 02:49 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.