New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Selling to new member?

Jimi3
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Selling to new member?

Hi all, I've got an offer on a camera I've not been able to sell on the board here so easily...unfortunately it's from a new member - no posts and no feedback. If I had other offers I wouldn't consider it, but at this point I don't, and I, fwiw, do get a general sense that this person is legit - he asked reasonable questions about shutter count and other details. So, other than taking regular PayPal versus PayPal gift, is there any way to make this transaction safe to carry out? I figure that I'll talk to him on the phone before sending the camera, but I also gather that PayPal payments can be reversed even a month or two later. I'm not terribly experienced here myself, so any advice would be appreciated.

Jul 16, 2016 at 06:30 PM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Selling to new member?

Last time I heard, PP allows 6 months on the reversal With PP you are pretty much at the mercy of the buyer. That said: Make sure buyer has a verified PP address you send it to. NO EXCEPTIONS!! Send it via a service that will provide tracking info and require a signature upon delivery. Pay particular attention to the weight of the package as determined by the scale at the shipper. Insure your item at full value. Take plenty of pictures of your item to ensure that it's condition matches up with your description of it as it is noted in your ad. Buddy of mine even video'd packing his up and mailing it out from USPS. You want to make sure that buyer doesn't pull the "well I got a brick" scam, files a claim, gets their money back and keeps your item. Do an Internet search on his real name. Good luck and, if you sell it to him, keep your fingers crossed for 6 months. HTH

Jul 16, 2016 at 07:40 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Selling to new member?

I will add to Tony's excellent advice. Pay with credit card in your PP account. That way while PP may honor your "dispute" for that period of time, the CC company will act immediately. At least in a few instances I have had in the past few years.
Tony, correct me if I am wrong..
Good Luck!
Dan

Jul 17, 2016 at 09:03 AM
Etherton
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Selling to new member?

Recently had a brand new seller approach me and offer to buy $3400 worth of gear. He wanted it shipped to his work address and had no feedback other than eBay. The only way I would sell it to him was with a USPS MO (once it had cleared). He declined and I passed on his offer. I have had several positive transactions with new members here on FM - just be careful and do your homework. Incidentally, I sold the gear a few hours later.

Jul 17, 2016 at 03:27 PM
Jimi3
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Selling to new member?

Etherton wrote:
Recently had a brand new seller approach me and offer to buy $3400 worth of gear. He wanted it shipped to his work address and had no feedback other than eBay. The only way I would sell it to him was with a USPS MO (once it had cleared). He declined and I passed on his offer. I have had several positive transactions with new members here on FM - just be careful and do your homework. Incidentally, I sold the gear a few hours later.

Ok, so how about I ask for a postal money order? I can take that to the local PO and have them verify that it's genuine, and even cash it, right?

Jul 17, 2016 at 05:28 PM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Selling to new member?

Yes, you can do that. I have used USPS MO's on sales involving other shooting equipment and over multiple transactions it has always been safe. Get the MO, go to USPS office, cash said MO and get US currency (for whatever the hell that's worth), mail out the item to buyer, and go on about your business.

Edited on Jul 17, 2016 at 06:16 PM · View previous versions

Jul 17, 2016 at 06:14 PM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Selling to new member?

Brother Dan, no correction necessary.

S/F, Brother Tony

Jul 17, 2016 at 06:15 PM
Jimi3
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Selling to new member?

anthonysemone wrote:
Yes, you can do that. I have used USPS MO's on sales involving other shooting equipment and over multiple transactions it has always been safe. Get the MO, go to USPS office, cash said MO and get US currency (for whatever the hell that's worth), mail out the item to buyer, and go on about your business.

Cool, that's what I will do - the buyer is fine with that.

Jul 19, 2016 at 12:44 AM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.