New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Canon Flash System

EB-1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon Flash System

My Canon flashes are fairly old, namely the 580 EX II, 580 EX, and 550 EX.
It looks like the 600EX-RT is the newer model. Does that one work completely wirelessly (no need for on-camera flash or ST-E2) with the newer cameras? If so, is the 1DX too old for using it off camera wirelessly? Thanks.

EBH

Jul 15, 2016 at 08:18 PM
NCAndy
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon Flash System

The 600EX-rt is actually replaced by the 600EX-RT2 but really I doubt there is all that much difference in actual use. To use the 600 flashes wirelessly, you would need either a 600 on the camera as a master or the ST-E3 on the camera acting as a master. That is for radio mode. If you want to use the old optical system, you could use your 580EXII as a master as long as you had good line of sight, etc.

The 1Dx can not be used as as master itself in optical mode, it has no pop up flash, like the 7D or 7D2. You would need to decide how you wanted to trigger the 600s. I use the ST-E3 myself though you could check out the cheaper yongnuo copy.

Jul 15, 2016 at 08:34 PM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon Flash System

The 600 has both optical and radio capabilities. You can do everything you did with your previous flashes using optical transmission. The ST-E2 will work for optical only.

For off camera radio transmission you will need an ST-E3 or another 600 or the new 430EX III RT. Also there are 3rd party RT triggers and flashes like Yongnuo but be careful to research as most don't play nicely with Canon's RT frequency.

No camera manufacturer to date offers a body with built in RT transmission.

NOTE: You can't set the master for both optical and radio and fire a 580 EX II and a 600 EX II RT off camera. You can only choose one and fire all optical or all radio only devices from the master.

Edited on Jul 15, 2016 at 08:46 PM · View previous versions

Jul 15, 2016 at 08:40 PM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon Flash System

Forgot to say that Yongnuo offers a device that you attach to the foot of an optical only flash like the 580 EX II which will receive an RT transmission and fire the flash. Very cool and well thought of by Yongnuo.

Jul 15, 2016 at 08:43 PM
Kathy White
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon Flash System

Yongnuo also offers it's own version of the STE 3. I use it with no problems with 2 Canon 600 EX RTs and 1 Yongnuo 600 EX RT. They get lots of use and work quite well. I would think the newer version would be even better.

Jul 15, 2016 at 10:34 PM
anscochrome
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon Flash System

Let us get practical to show him exactly what we are talking about. First-get this to control your 600RT flashes remotely (or the Yongnuo equivalent-I have those) : https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OK930NQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Then get these to control the 580EXII, 580EX radio wireless from the same controller: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VBRP1H8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and then you are all set

Jul 15, 2016 at 11:51 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon Flash System

I use both Canon ST-E3-RT and YongNuo YN-E3-RT remote control untis for my 4x 600EX-RT flash. I really like the wireless radio-control system, because it's not affected by internal obstacles and bright sunlight, like the old "IR" controllers were. I prefer the YN-E3-RT because they also include an AF assist "IR" (deep red) light, that I use in low light for AF, most often without flash.

Jul 16, 2016 at 08:12 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon Flash System

Arrgh. So the camera cannot control flashes directly and Canon went from optical to RF without allowing both from one controller? It may be easier to just use a TTL cord for my application.

You'd think that the Wi-Fi radio could talk to the flashes or something useful like that.

EBH

Jul 16, 2016 at 02:14 PM
Abbott Schindl
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon Flash System

But if Canon allowed an RF flash to simultaneously work with both RF and optical, why would we want to run out and replace our perfectly good optical-only remotes with the new IR ones

Jul 16, 2016 at 07:00 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.