New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Custom ISO settings

BPDsas67

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Custom ISO settings

I am wondering if anyone knows how or has a work around to assign one of the extra buttons that don't get much use to switch from manually selected ISO to auto ISO on either a 7dmkii or 1dxmkii. I have found myself fumbling around a few times trying to change ISO on the fly when a fast flying subject heads for the shadows or out into the sun... I don't think that is something that can be assigned, but figured I'd ask since a lot of very accomplished photographers frequent this site.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also welcome are comments and brutally honest criticism on my photos in Flickr.
Thanks,
Regards - Scott

Jul 15, 2016 at 06:13 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Custom ISO settings

Can use custom menu.

Can also shoot in manual mode (all three ISO / shutter / aperture manual) and pretest for shadowed and sunlit. Then a quick flip of the shutter speed can accomplish the task.

1DX2 has lots of headroom on ISO such that ISO noise is not much of a problem, especially compared to previous cameras. So you can set a higher ISO and just flip the shutter speed counting clicks with a quick double-check of the speed and meter indication in the viewfinder.

Or just set the higher ISO manually once for that spot and let the camera compute the exposure, if you trust it for mottled light, half-lighted, pizza-lighting, etc. and to not get fooled by bright versus dark backgrounds.

Sometimes auto-everything is not the most productive.

Jul 15, 2016 at 06:40 PM
BPDsas67

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Custom ISO settings

Thanks for the response. I usually shoot full manual, but when light gets tricky with clouds or shadows I'll sometimes switch to auto ISO. I'll also crank up the ISO a bit and do your proposed method of having a good idea of using wheel for shutter speed to quickly change. I was just curious if there was a way to assign one of the buttons like DOF to switch it to auto ISO. Right now I have it assigned to switch to angle point focus point - which is kind of a waste since I can switch the focusing points areas pretty quick. Thanks again for your help and suggestions
Regards

Jul 15, 2016 at 06:59 PM
schlotz
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Custom ISO settings

Scott, the custom functions C1..2 & 3 are your best bet. Any one can be set to incorporate AutoISO plus any other setting you want i.e. Ap, Tv etc.... In addition you can also limit the ISO range the camera will use. For BIF maybe set it so it never goes below a certain SS, with a top limit on ISO. Shoot in manual the way you normally do and have ready a custom function to adjust for SS & AutoISO. BTW: I programed the M-fn button on my 1DX II to toggle through C1-3.

Matt

Jul 16, 2016 at 07:48 AM
BPDsas67

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Custom ISO settings

Schlotz - (Matt) great idea using M-fn to cycle thru custom settings (c1-c3) on the fly! I had M-fn available since I switched wheel to cycle thru selected focus point - groups. Works perfectly for what I want it to do! I just need to be mindful of how many times I press it. Great stuff. I knew someone would have a crafty solution. Thanks again!
Best regards,
Scott

Jul 17, 2016 at 09:44 AM
schlotz
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Custom ISO settings

No problem Scott, glad it helps. BTW, which C# you are on will show in the view finder, bottom left corner. Make sure you set the camera to NOT automatically overwrite the C# settings. This way every time you re-select the C# it will be the same.

Matt

Jul 18, 2016 at 07:19 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.