New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Hanging enormous prints

ecarlino
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Hanging enormous prints

I normally hang out in the Sony forum - but I thought i'd post a good experience on a product here in case it's of any interest -

I've had a wall in my house (in our guest suite's family room - that the kids use as a game room sometimes) that I've wanted to hang a panorama on for some time.

I spent a few weeks this May in Sicily and took a 7 shot pano that I printed on my Epson 9900.

It is 12.5 feet long on 44" roll paper.

How to hang this?

I did a bad job, but the product is doing it's job perfectly: Hangman double-sided poster tape!

There's a strip along the top edge of the print and another about 8 inches lower. Then both left and right edges got tape. I did a bad job and that's why there are a few bubbles (most noticeable along the bottom edge) - but i'm no longer worried about it holding.

the best part is that the product "claims" it wont' destroy the walls if I want to peel it off - we'll see about that!

Anyways, just thought i'd share that....

here's a quick / crappy snapshot:
http://www.ecarlino.net/misc/ModicaPoster.jpg

Jul 15, 2016 at 04:40 PM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Hanging enormous prints

Hey Eric, great print.

I'm not a framer or a mounter but...

you can get acrylic sheet that large (a few hundred dollars). That plus some very careful spray adhesive and brayer work - or the same with double-sided adhesive sheet (not tape) could do the trick.

Personally I'd probably consider three or four panels arranged as a mural. One great thing about your image is pretty much any section of it would make a great smaller wall hanging when you decide in a couple of years you want a new pano for that room.

Good luck with it and let us know what you wind up doing.

Regards,

Chuck

Jul 15, 2016 at 07:48 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Hanging enormous prints

That's awesome, but how did you get past 90+ inches, or did you use a RIP?

Jul 16, 2016 at 03:02 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Hanging enormous prints

Looks cool. Inspiring, too.

Jul 16, 2016 at 04:07 AM
justruss
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Hanging enormous prints

The printer I use (in EU) will print photos directly on a sold substrate (many choices) or mount photographic prints to a substrate (many choices)-- and will attach mounting rails or adhesive-attached loops for hooking on nails in the wall.

The largest size I've speced (haven't ordered the print yet) was from a 140 MP pano-- at over 7+ feet long by about 2-3 feet tall.

The resulting images (I've ordered small ones) keep their shape (no waves/creases), and can be mounted with as few as 2 screws/nails on the wall. No risk of damage over time to the print from adhesives.

Very nice looking image BTW!

Jul 31, 2016 at 06:02 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.