New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · D500 thoughts

LeifG
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D500 thoughts

I finally gave in, and honestly I think some reviewers have missed some not insignificant points. Hogan in particular rambles on about mobile cheese i.e small changes to the layout which would not bother people who only infrequently upgrade.

We all know the AF and FPS are brilliant. But compared to the D600, it has so many plusses. Some that struck me:

The eyepiece diopter is locked. To adjust, pull out, and rotate. Push in to lock. This is a big plus for someone like me, who often knocked the setting off.

Eyepiece shutter. Prevents stray light destroying an exposure when firing remotely.

No idiot modes, which means the most important controls can be on the top plate, making the camera much easier to use.

A nice deep grip as per the D200, which I love. I hate the D600 form, maybe because I have small hands. The D500 is very comfortable in the hand. The thumb position is very natural.

Lots of configurable buttons. Nice.

Electronic horizon in the VF which can be turned on and off at the press of a button.

Electronic shutter. Rarely mentioned, but if you shoot down a microscope, this is a boon.

Articulating back LCD. Fantastic, ideal for use with my microscope and when shooting at ground level. It has touch zoom as per the Apple ipad.

I'm sure there are many more features I do not use but which are important to others.

As to the build, honestly it feels no better than my D600, which is no bad thing, but I cannot judge robustness from the outside.

Overall I feel that many reviews focus on high ISO, and the AF, and miss out so many features that make it a more complete and usable camera than cheaper alternatives. Each one might seem unimportant in isolation, but together they add a lot of value. Nikon in my view have done a wonderful job. There are a few minuses, such as no cheap radio trigger. Expensive? Yes. Oh well, what's the point in hoarding money?

Jul 15, 2016 at 03:51 PM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D500 thoughts

A lot of what you mention have been on the higher end bodies for a long time now, which is probably one reason why the reviews don't focus as much on the smaller things.

Jul 15, 2016 at 04:03 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D500 thoughts

On balance, the D500 sits between 7xxxx and single-digit bodies in matters of control layout and build quality. It is roughly equal to the D300 classic, but enjoys the superior circular eye piece. I needed a -2 diopter, and it dropped in (and locked) with ease. The D300 classic lacked that eye piece, but had a full-metal build and a superb locking door for the memory slot. With Nikon cameras, available features are in eternal rotation, unless you go right to the top.

Jul 15, 2016 at 07:32 PM
Elisha82
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D500 thoughts

The D500 is carbon fibre and magnesium like the D750.

rico wrote:
On balance, the D500 sits between 7xxxx and single-digit bodies in matters of control layout and build quality. It is roughly equal to the D300 classic, but enjoys the superior circular eye piece. I needed a -2 diopter, and it dropped in (and locked) with ease. The D300 classic lacked that eye piece, but had a full-metal build and a superb locking door for the memory slot. With Nikon cameras, available features are in eternal rotation, unless you go right to the top.

Jul 15, 2016 at 07:46 PM
LeifG
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D500 thoughts

CanadaMark wrote:
A lot of what you mention have been on the higher end bodies for a long time now, which is probably one reason why the reviews don't focus as much on the smaller things.

Then I think they should, otherwise many people won't know about them. Personally I regard an electronic shutter as more important than 10 FPS, so many of these unmentioned features are not smaller things.

Jul 16, 2016 at 12:16 AM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D500 thoughts

You have a point. Years ago I bought a used D4. I was mystified by the eyepiece shutter until I read about it in a review. After a while we become a bit blase' about familiar things, yet there are millions out there with no knowledge of these things.

Jul 16, 2016 at 11:10 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D500 thoughts

One of the great things with the D500 out in the field
is of course nailing a shot and having a shooting buddy
ask if you "got it". Here's where it gets fun...center press
to 100% and then touching the LCD do the finger spread
so it's just the eyeball. The looks I get are priceless.

Jul 16, 2016 at 11:46 AM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · D500 thoughts

Cameras ain't supposed to do that finger spread thing!!! At least not DSLRs

Jul 16, 2016 at 11:56 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.