New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Getting dreaded FEE message on my D3s

graham_martin
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Getting dreaded FEE message on my D3s

I have two lenses that have aperture rings. One is a Nikon 300mm f/2.8 AF-S. Even though I have set the aperture ring to its smallest aperture (f/22) I still get the FEE message. Same thing happens with my Rokinon 14mm f/2.8. Both lenses work fine on my other camera bodies (D800 and D300s) and my newer G lenses work fine on the D3s.

Is there some menu setting that I need to look at? I have cleaned the contacts on both the D3s body as well as the 300mm lens itself.

Jul 15, 2016 at 02:44 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Getting dreaded FEE message on my D3s

Hi Graham, is AF fine tune enabled? Try turning it off for the AF-S 300 f2.8
If that works, delete stored lens values and save fresh ones. Worth a try.
Assuming the Rok is chipped, it shouldn't matter. Can't help ya there.

Jul 15, 2016 at 03:18 PM
graham_martin
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Getting dreaded FEE message on my D3s

Hi Will, the AF fine tune is off. I did just find that if I go into Custom Control f8, I can change the sub command dial to Aperture ring. While that does make the FEE message go away, the f stop does not change in the LCD display when I start changing aperture using the aperture ring.

Jul 15, 2016 at 03:23 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Getting dreaded FEE message on my D3s

Hmmm, did you take a pic and check the Exif? All very strange.

Jul 15, 2016 at 03:48 PM
graham_martin
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Getting dreaded FEE message on my D3s

I'll have to try taking a photo tomorrow. We are are in the middle of a sub-tropical downpour right now here in sunny Florida.

Jul 15, 2016 at 03:51 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Getting dreaded FEE message on my D3s

Sounds like 'thirty.

Jul 15, 2016 at 03:54 PM
morrismike
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Getting dreaded FEE message on my D3s

graham_martin wrote:
I have two lenses that have aperture rings. One is a Nikon 300mm f/2.8 AF-S. Even though I have set the aperture ring to its smallest aperture (f/22) I still get the FEE message. Same thing happens with my Rokinon 14mm f/2.8. Both lenses work fine on my other camera bodies (D800 and D300s) and my newer G lenses work fine on the D3s.

Is there some menu setting that I need to look at? I have cleaned the contacts on both the D3s body as well as the 300mm lens itself.

You can set your camera up to still control gelded lens and be able to use the arpeture ring.

This is going to seem weird, but check out the you tubes on using TC-16a's. If you PM me I'll give you the setup you need to never sweat the FEE again.

Jul 16, 2016 at 01:23 PM
the solitaire
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Getting dreaded FEE message on my D3s

The Ai tab on the camera mount is a fairly fragile part.
I just took mine apart to clean out some dirt that caused the tabe to stick in certain positions.

On my first D3 I had the Fee error. That turned out to be a problem with corrosion of a range of electronic contacts that registers the position of the Ai tab.

I returned the camera, which was bought used and displayed the problem right when I got it. Camera worked fine with G type lenses because those communicate the aperture information though the electronic contacts rather then through the Ai indexing tab.

To me the function of the Ai indexing tab is a vital function of the camera because I do not use any G-type lenses.

My advise, if I were in your shoes, I'd send in the camera to get it serviced. Since you're in the US someone like APS might be a good choice and cheaper then Nikons own repair service.

Jul 16, 2016 at 03:26 PM
graham_martin
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Getting dreaded FEE message on my D3s

Thanks, I'm getting ready to send it off to KEH Repairs in Atlanta. They are an authorized Nikon repair place, and I have used them before.

Jul 16, 2016 at 03:31 PM
Spectro
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Getting dreaded FEE message on my D3s

I had a similar issue with one of my D3s bodies a couple years ago. Turned out to be the aperture arm. Although I've moved along the evolution chain I still own that particular body and it still works fine almost 100,00 frames after the aperture arm was replaced.

Jul 18, 2016 at 12:45 PM
graham_martin
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Getting dreaded FEE message on my D3s

Thanks, I think that I may have the same problem. While the shutter has been replaced more than once, I doubt that the aperture or coupling tabs have been replaced. I sent the camera off to a Nikon authorized repair shop today.

Jul 18, 2016 at 12:48 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.