FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              17      
       19              23       24       end

Archive 2016 · Non-Nikon MF Glass on Nikon Cameras

No Regrets
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.18 #1 · p.18 #1 · Non-Nikon MF Glass on Nikon Cameras

Handheld with my Nikon Df and Zeiss Distagon 28mm f/2...

DSC_3442 by Don Sawall, on Flickr

Thanks for looking
Don

Apr 28, 2017 at 11:06 AM
No Regrets
• • • •
p.18 #2 · p.18 #2 · Non-Nikon MF Glass on Nikon Cameras

Nikon Df and Zeiss APO 135mm f/2

DSC_3302 by Don Sawall, on Flickr

Best wishes,
Don

Apr 29, 2017 at 02:40 PM
pburke
• • • •
p.18 #3 · p.18 #3 · Non-Nikon MF Glass on Nikon Cameras

you need to bring that 135mm lens to Road America next month for some vintage car detail shots

Apr 29, 2017 at 03:36 PM
No Regrets
• • • •
p.18 #4 · p.18 #4 · Non-Nikon MF Glass on Nikon Cameras

pburke wrote:
you need to bring that 135mm lens to Road America next month for some vintage car detail shots

Now that sounds like a lot of fun! I've never been there. Do you need any special passes or permits?

Apr 29, 2017 at 03:42 PM
kwoodard
• • • • •
p.18 #5 · p.18 #5 · Non-Nikon MF Glass on Nikon Cameras

Buddy's wife just got the Sigma 135/1.8... The output is amazing.

Apr 29, 2017 at 03:48 PM
the solitaire
• • • •
p.18 #6 · p.18 #6 · Non-Nikon MF Glass on Nikon Cameras

More then amazing. Cheaper then the Zeiss to I believe.

I'm thinking about a 50mm f1,4 Zeiss Milvus, but the CV 58 f1,4 also looks really nice for half the money, and I think the longer focal length would suit me better.

On the other tip of the scale, Mitakon 85mm f1,2.... tempting...

Apr 29, 2017 at 03:51 PM
No Regrets
• • • •
p.18 #7 · p.18 #7 · Non-Nikon MF Glass on Nikon Cameras

kwoodard wrote:

I saw that in another thread, and I agree.... it does look like a superb lens! I think that they will definitely make great use of it and I'm looking forward to seeing more of their images with it

Apr 29, 2017 at 03:54 PM
the solitaire
• • • •
p.18 #8 · p.18 #8 · Non-Nikon MF Glass on Nikon Cameras

No Regrets wrote:
I saw that in another thread, and I agree.... it does look like a superb lens! I think that they will definitely make great use of it and I'm looking forward to seeing more of their images with it

Thank you Don. We'll try not to amaze, but the Sigma is good. You'll want 2 for sure

It doesn't do backlight that well though. Doesn't lose contrast so we didn't get out of it what we were looking for today

EDIT:: Imported in Lightroom things do not look so glum after all. Still very contrasty, but by the looks of it shadow detail can be recovered enough by reducing contrast in post.

Edited on Apr 29, 2017 at 04:33 PM · View previous versions

Apr 29, 2017 at 04:18 PM
pburke
• • • •
p.18 #9 · p.18 #9 · Non-Nikon MF Glass on Nikon Cameras

No Regrets wrote:
Now that sounds like a lot of fun! I've never been there. Do you need any special passes or permits?

A regular admission pass gets you everything I've been showing over the last few years. Especially vintage race weekends mean lots of access in the garage area. People are proud of their cars. Get a weekend pass in advance at their website for $40, that's all. Parking is free. If you have longer lenses, I can show you the good spots for the on-track action. Or use my 600mm when I am playing around with the new AF toy.

http://www.roadamerica.com/buy-tickets/spring-vintage-weekend.html

I am not sure if I can make it Friday, but I am getting the weekend pass no matter what (same price as sat plus sun)

the spring race is a pretty quiet affair, but access to cars in the paddock area is excellent

here's my album from last year's May event, all with regular spectator tickets, 2 pages worth of output and I think I was there only two days.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/speedcenter/albums/72157668066041092

If you have to choose a single day to visit, Saturday is the best. Friday is ok, but on Sunday, many cars are being packed up early after their last session to head home and the paddock begins to look rather deserted by early afternoon.

Apr 29, 2017 at 04:20 PM
pburke
• • • •
p.18 #10 · p.18 #10 · Non-Nikon MF Glass on Nikon Cameras

kwoodard wrote:

another one of those $1400 items on my wish list... - hey, at least I can scratch off the $2200 Nikon 105mm f/1.4

Apr 29, 2017 at 04:21 PM
the solitaire
• • • •
p.18 #11 · p.18 #11 · Non-Nikon MF Glass on Nikon Cameras

pburke wrote:
another one of those $1400 items on my wish list... - hey, at least I can scratch off the $2200 Nikon 105mm f/1.4

That's what we thought as well. No slow focusing nikkor, but a slightly faster Sigma. It's big and heavy, but for cars AF should be able to keep up

Apr 29, 2017 at 04:34 PM
No Regrets
• • • •
p.18 #12 · p.18 #12 · Non-Nikon MF Glass on Nikon Cameras

the solitaire wrote:
Thank you Don. We'll try not to amaze, but the Sigma is good. You'll want 2 for sure

It doesn't do backlight that well though. Doesn't lose contrast so we didn't get out of it what we were looking for today

EDIT:: Imported in Lightroom things do not look so glum after all. Still very contrasty, but by the looks of it shadow detail can be recovered enough by reducing contrast in post.

Oh on the contrary, my friend. Please do continue to amaze us. I am not brand loyal at all. I love my Nikkors, Zeiss, and my one and only Siggy Art 50. I simply choose the lens, whichever brand it may be, that I feel may work well for what I'm trying to do at the moment.... and thankfully for us photo enthusiasts, there is no shortage of choices available to all of us

You are an amazing photographer, Buddy. You do exceptionally well with manual focus lenses and I think you would have loved the Zeiss APO 135 as well, but it looks like the Art 135 is very nicel, and with the fast autofocus will be very well suited for your better half as I know she prefers autofocus lenses

Best wishes,
Don

Apr 29, 2017 at 05:03 PM
No Regrets
• • • •
p.18 #13 · p.18 #13 · Non-Nikon MF Glass on Nikon Cameras

pburke wrote:
A regular admission pass gets you everything I've been showing over the last few years. Especially vintage race weekends mean lots of access in the garage area. People are proud of their cars. Get a weekend pass in advance at their website for $40, that's all. Parking is free. If you have longer lenses, I can show you the good spots for the on-track action. Or use my 600mm when I am playing around with the new AF toy.

http://www.roadamerica.com/buy-tickets/spring-vintage-weekend.html

I am not sure if I can make it Friday, but I am getting the weekend pass no matter what (same price
...Show more

Hi Peter,

Thanks for all the info. I'm just about to head out for the evening... so I'll have to look at this later tonight in more detail. I'd probably only be able to make it on that Saturday. My longest lens is only the Nikon 200f/2 VRII and I haven't gotten around to getting a TC for it yet.

It sounds like it would be a great time though. I've always enjoyed viewing your images from Road America. You certainly have a great eye for composition and the right tools to get the job done well

Best wishes,
Don

Apr 29, 2017 at 05:06 PM
pburke
• • • •
p.18 #14 · p.18 #14 · Non-Nikon MF Glass on Nikon Cameras

the solitaire wrote:
That's what we thought as well. No slow focusing nikkor, but a slightly faster Sigma. It's big and heavy, but for cars AF should be able to keep up

it would not do a lot of moving car action - maybe on the DX body, but pit lane face shots, details, etc - speed isn't that important at that focal range. A 70-200mm f/2.8 needs to be quick, though, but the Tamron G2 (another $1400 wish list item) can keep up with the Nikon just fine. It's really between those two lenses what comes first. I think the Tamron currently has the upper hand, because it is more versatile and could cover what I have in mind for the 135mm f/1.8. I do drool over the (cheap in comparison) Rokinon 135mm f/2.0 as well, but I doubt I'd be happy with it trying to shoot portraits in the environments I usually do that in

Apr 29, 2017 at 06:06 PM
pburke
• • • •
p.18 #15 · p.18 #15 · Non-Nikon MF Glass on Nikon Cameras

No Regrets wrote:
Hi Peter,

Thanks for all the info. I'm just about to head out for the evening... so I'll have to look at this later tonight in more detail. I'd probably only be able to make it on that Saturday. My longest lens is only the Nikon 200f/2 VRII and I haven't gotten around to getting a TC for it yet.

It sounds like it would be a great time though. I've always enjoyed viewing your images from Road America. You certainly have a great eye for composition and the right tools to get the job done well

Best wishes,
Don

no worries about long glass - you can give my 600mm f/4.0 a whirl while I am playing with my 400mm f/2.8, If you have a nice monopod with Swiss Arca clamp, we won't even have to fight over the support.

I may really want to try your 200mm f/2.0, but I am afraid that I may end up buying another expensive lens...

I do have both TCs you may want to use with it - 14e II and 20e III, so you can get some pretty good range out of that 200 as well, especially with a D500

Many shots you can take from the spectator area are fine with 300-600mm FX equivalent, and then there are two or three locations where really long comes in handy, especially when the weather cooperates and the air is cool and clear

Apr 29, 2017 at 06:11 PM
No Regrets
• • • •
p.18 #16 · p.18 #16 · Non-Nikon MF Glass on Nikon Cameras

pburke wrote:
no worries about long glass - you can give my 600mm f/4.0 a whirl while I am playing with my 400mm f/2.8, If you have a nice monopod with Swiss Arca clamp, we won't even have to fight over the support.

I may really want to try your 200mm f/2.0, but I am afraid that I may end up buying another expensive lens...

I do have both TCs you may want to use with it - 14e II and 20e III, so you can get some pretty good range out of that 200 as well, especially with a D500

Many shots
...Show more

I was just able to take a look at your Flickr link you provided earlier. Wow, those are some great captures of some pretty exotic automobiles!
I'd be happy to let you try my 200f2 . Don't worry. The good news is if you do fall in love with it, you can find them here on the buy/sell occasionally in nice preloved condition at a much more reasonable price than what you had to shell out for your last exotic 😊
I don't have a monopod but will they allow me to bring my RRS tripod in?
Now that would be interesting to see... my little Df hanging off the back of your 600 😃 In all seriousness, I wouldn't mind seeing how your 20eIII plays with my 200f2/Df combo as that is something I'm actually considering purchasing.

Best wishes, Don

Apr 29, 2017 at 09:53 PM
pburke
• • • •
p.18 #17 · p.18 #17 · Non-Nikon MF Glass on Nikon Cameras

No Regrets wrote:
I was just able to take a look at your Flickr link you provided earlier. Wow, those are some great captures of some pretty exotic automobiles!
I'd be happy to let you try my 200f2 . Don't worry. The good news is if you do fall in love with it, you can find them here on the buy/sell occasionally in nice preloved condition at a much more reasonable price than what you had to shell out for your last exotic 😊
I don't have a monopod but will they allow me to bring my RRS tripod in?
Now that would be
...Show more

Don,

tripods are ok in the spectator area. Media can't use them as it is a potential obstacle if you have to get out of the way of something coming at you. But mostly I feel they just aren't very useful for tracking moving targets unless you have one of those bird rigs, and in the paddock they can get in the way of things. With the 200mm, just turn the VR on and leave it behind. But out on the track there are several places you can make good use of a tripod, like for the big lens direct head-on shots under the turn 6 bridge or exiting that turn. Definitely bring it along.I remember now that I threw out my old monopod one after cutting my hand on that thing's silly tilt head one too many times.

The 20e III works really well with the D810 on the 400mm f/2.8 as far as AF is concerned. Image quality is close to the 1.4x but going down one f-stop evens that out. You just need a lot more light for it. On the f/2.0 it should not be that bad. Don't know much about the AF in the Df body. In good light, the D810 has no issues with the 2x, and the D500 doesn't care one bit that the TC is there.

I am aware of the 200/2 prices around here. Maybe if I decide to let the 600mm go and free up some funds that way, but the value of the MF 600 lenses has taken a huge hit since the 200-500mm arrived.

And my last "exotic" actually was the 180mm f/2.8 ED in UGLY condition - rare around here in that shape, but should have it well before race weekend to give it a proper workout.

Definitely no lack of subjects at the vintage event: there are always plenty of really cool cars there, not just on the race track. The spectators bring their pride and joy rides as well. If you like what you see in May, make sure you visit the July vintage race, which is huge in comparison.

Anyway, since this is the non-nikon MF lens thread, I better put one of those on the page:

Rokinon 85mm f/1.4 wide open, 1/320s ISO 2000 on D600 on monopod
IMSA race last August long after sunset

Packing away Popow/van der Zande's Oreca for the night

Apr 29, 2017 at 11:07 PM
kruemmelkasper

p.18 #18 · p.18 #18 · Non-Nikon MF Glass on Nikon Cameras

kwoodard wrote:
Buddy's wife just got the Sigma 135/1.8

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4162/33526355894_91fb8a18af_b.jpg

Apr 30, 2017 at 06:23 PM
No Regrets
• • • •
p.18 #19 · p.18 #19 · Non-Nikon MF Glass on Nikon Cameras

kruemmelkasper wrote:

Kristina, this has got to be my absolute favorite example from this lens. The composition, the light, everything works so well together. Simply fabulous!

Best wishes,
Don

Apr 30, 2017 at 06:36 PM
kwoodard
• • • • •
p.18 #20 · p.18 #20 · Non-Nikon MF Glass on Nikon Cameras

kruemmelkasper wrote:

It's like the sheep is an old soul looking into your being. Fantastic capture.

May 01, 2017 at 12:28 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.