Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Essential guide to photo (RAW and JPG) editing?

pixlepeeper
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Essential guide to photo (RAW and JPG) editing?

What I'm looking for is something similar to "Light Science and Magic" but for editing, I mean something that gives you knowledge instead of how to's. So it should essentially be independent of the software.
Basically what are the possibilities offered by software (in general) and when each one is useful or essential. And that for different genres of photography.

Some people disregard PP but it seems to me it's essential to producing great looking photos. For example here is a tutorial by a night landscape photographer.
http://www.mikkolagerstedt.com/blog/2013/11/8/night-photography-tutorial-lightroom-5-photoshop
The difference between 'before' and 'after' is quite interesting although of course he starts with an already good looking photo.

Jul 13, 2016 at 09:58 PM
UCSB
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Essential guide to photo (RAW and JPG) editing?

I've had good luck with the classes over at lynda.com. They offer classes at all levels (beginner, intermediate, advanced). If you do a search, you can find a coupon for one free week to give them a try.

Jul 13, 2016 at 11:52 PM
corposant
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Essential guide to photo (RAW and JPG) editing?

I completely agree with you that processing (and printing) are essential elements in photography. I think there are a couple of ways to answer your question, one practical and one more philosophical:

- LSM is a great book but in many ways it's a bit technical. If you're looking for the technical answers to the "what this does" and "why does this happen" kind of questions, Adobe's own literature (http://helpx.adobe.com) actually can take you through every single component of both Lightroom and Photoshop and explain (I think pretty well) the difference between sharpening and clarity, or how to create a camera profile. I think her name is Julianna Kost and she is the brand ambassador for Adobe's photography programs. She has recorded video tutorials that cover 90% of what you need to know for Lightroom. It's all free.

- The philosophical answer is more relevant if you're trying to arrive at an end result where you are happy with the image, but aren't really sure where to start. I believe that you really do need to figure out in large part what things do in LR/PS first, and then establish a vision of what you want your image to look like. Then all you need to do is use what knowledge you have to experiment in a focused way to work your image until you're satisfied. It's a little like baking. You want to bake a cake, and you may have all the ingredients, but only a piece of the recipe. If you know the basics of baking and what each ingredient tastes like and what is supposed to do at each stage, you can probably figure out how to get a decent cake. Maybe it'll even taste great the first time you try it. But if you don't know what importance eggs or butter have in the overall scheme of baking... you may be baking a lot of cakes until you're happy.

I think the inherent problem in websites like the one you linked to is that you'll learn techniques instead of the fundamentals. Techniques (and plugins and presets you buy) are nice, particularly if they happen to be exactly what you need to accomplish your vision, but they won't help you nearly as much as knowing all the background info when you want to deviate from them and make something unique. If I were learning this today (and digitally, not with film in the darkroom), I'd take an image alongside the Adobe manuals/tutorials and just use every tool until I knew what it did. Once you're comfortable in LR and exhaust what it can do for you, start doing that in PS.

Jul 14, 2016 at 01:01 AM
pixlepeeper
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Essential guide to photo (RAW and JPG) editing?

corposant wrote:
- The philosophical answer is more relevant if you're trying to arrive at an end result where you are happy with the image, but aren't really sure where to start.

[...]
I think the inherent problem in websites like the one you linked to is that you'll learn techniques instead of the fundamentals.

Yeah, exactly. I found her website: http://www.jkost.com/ I actually use Capture One and it has some documentation and videos on Youtube but Kost's tutorials seem to be more systematic.

Jul 14, 2016 at 03:35 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.