Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

Archive 2016 · I am nuts? Moving away from Nikon 1.4 and 2.8 glass...

dhp_sf
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · I am nuts? Moving away from Nikon 1.4 and 2.8 glass...

swainsons wrote:
Wow, you guys really worship Mautner and Stripling? Why? Yes, they good, but so what. Get on with your own style and signature for goodness sake, and find the kit thats suits your style. Finished.

Regards

Seems to me the feeling is more like "well if it's good enough for them, it should be good enough for me..."

Jul 24, 2016 at 04:07 PM
ahaug
• • •
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · I am nuts? Moving away from Nikon 1.4 and 2.8 glass...

I really like the 1.8 lenses and currently have the 28g and 85g. Do I love them though? Not really. They get the job done no doubt. They are light, quick and a bit clinical. I also have the siggy 35A. Do I love it ... why ... yes ... yes I do. I'm waiting for the 85A. I'm hoping for it this winter and I expect to love it as well. Will my clients know the difference ... I don't know but with the hours I spend in front of the screen, I'm just going to give my eyes the gift of 1.4 glass.

Jul 24, 2016 at 04:16 PM
swainsons
• •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · I am nuts? Moving away from Nikon 1.4 and 2.8 glass...

This announcement will be a game changer for portraits.....

http://nikonrumors.com/2016/07/25/new-nikon-af-s-nikkor-105mm-f1-4e-ed-lens-to-be-announced-this-week.aspx/

Jul 25, 2016 at 06:35 AM
MRomine
• • • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · I am nuts? Moving away from Nikon 1.4 and 2.8 glass...

swainsons wrote:

http://nikonrumors.com/2016/07/25/new-nikon-af-s-nikkor-105mm-f1-4e-ed-lens-to-be-announced-this-week.aspx/

Thanks for sharing I had not seen that. Love the 105 for portraits even more than an 85mm. But the price on this is steep. An f1.8 or f2 would have been just fine for me.

Edited on Jul 25, 2016 at 08:12 AM · View previous versions

Jul 25, 2016 at 07:02 AM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · I am nuts? Moving away from Nikon 1.4 and 2.8 glass...

swainsons wrote:

A 1.4 lens that small? It looks like some sort of wizardry.

Still no 135mm though... not a fan for 105mm focal length

Edited on Jul 25, 2016 at 04:33 PM · View previous versions

Jul 25, 2016 at 07:11 AM
ahaug
• • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · I am nuts? Moving away from Nikon 1.4 and 2.8 glass...

ok. that is interesting. But not at 2100.00. If its lower, I might jump at that. Or just wait for a siggy 85A at half the cost.

Jul 25, 2016 at 08:11 AM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · I am nuts? Moving away from Nikon 1.4 and 2.8 glass...

Much of this thread really demonstrates much of what I despise about the wedding industry. It's nauseating to me, actually. Professional photographers being treated like gods on high? Sycophants suckling at their teet for any bit of information. Who the fuck cares what XYZ photographer shoots? Here's a novel concept for the industry...figure out how YOU like to shoot and choose a tool that helps YOU get to that vision. It was embarrassing to read the first page of this thread discussing two complete strangers and THEIR shooting preferences! THEY figured it out on their own. Do they possess some sort of superpower that you don't have? Holy shit.

Jul 25, 2016 at 08:27 AM
zalmyb
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · I am nuts? Moving away from Nikon 1.4 and 2.8 glass...

canerino wrote:
Much of this thread really demonstrates much of what I despise about the wedding industry. It's nauseating to me, actually. Professional photographers being treated like gods on high? Sycophants suckling at their teet for any bit of information. Who the fuck cares what XYZ photographer shoots? Here's a novel concept for the industry...figure out how YOU like to shoot and choose a tool that helps YOU get to that vision. It was embarrassing to read the first page of this thread discussing two complete strangers and THEIR shooting preferences! THEY figured it out on their own. Do they possess some
...Show more

Totally. I'm totally ignoring what everyone else does and am going to try rangefinders like you (seriously though, one day... does the m240's viewfinder cover 28mm?)

Jul 25, 2016 at 01:42 PM
dgenx24
• • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · I am nuts? Moving away from Nikon 1.4 and 2.8 glass...

MRomine wrote:
Thanks for sharing I had not seen that. Love the 105 for portraits even more than an 85mm. But the price on this is steep. An f1.8 or f2 would have been just fine for me.

++++
$599 f1.8 version would've been just perfect...

Jul 25, 2016 at 02:07 PM
flash
• • • • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · I am nuts? Moving away from Nikon 1.4 and 2.8 glass...

zalmyb wrote:
Totally. I'm totally ignoring what everyone else does and am going to try rangefinders like you (seriously though, one day... does the m240's viewfinder cover 28mm?)

yep. 28-135mm framelines.

Gordon

Jul 25, 2016 at 03:58 PM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · I am nuts? Moving away from Nikon 1.4 and 2.8 glass...

I don't care what anyone says. I still find some value in knowing what other wedding professionals are using. It helps provide some context to professional reviewers and test-chart users have to say.

So it's easy to sit here and say "go figure it out yourself", but I can't afford (financial and time wise) to test every lens/body/flash in different conditions, so it's great that someone else is willing to do it for me. A lot of these "gods" are shooting 40+ weddings per year, so I put a little more faith in them than YouTube McGee who shoots models he's paid.

Saying Cliff shoots with f4 lenses provides a context to a conversation. Doesn't mean I or anyone else has to agree with it.

Jul 25, 2016 at 04:22 PM
dccb2009

p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · I am nuts? Moving away from Nikon 1.4 and 2.8 glass...

Tony Hoffer wrote:
With respect, I'm not sure why anyone would base their gear choices off of what other photographers do. If you want to switch, go for it!

I feel exactly the same way.

I suddenly have an urge to buy and drive a Chevy Tahoe because Danica Patrick drives one

Jul 29, 2016 at 06:46 AM
1       2       3      
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.