New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Most economical camera for timelapse imagery

AgarwalB

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Most economical camera for timelapse imagery

I am trying to take photos at about every 30 secs - 2 mins (Timelapse imagery for a dataset). I was using a canon t3i for this but after a few weeks, my shutter gave up. This is an on-going process and I will need to continue taking the timelapse. I wanted to know the most economical camera to get more clicks for the price (lowest price per photo clicked). I also need the following features:

- Manual focus

- Multiple exposures for HDR

- Auto shutter speed

- Atleast 15 MP

I was wondering if it would be better to buy a high grade camera like 7D or 5D which give about 200k clicks or go with the rebel series which have about 100k clicks and replace the rebel series camera after it dies. Also someone suggested to look at Mirrorless cameras, are they any better? Is there a way I can just get the shutter (or other mechanical parts) replaced economically instead of replacing the camera.

Thanks for your help in advance

Jul 13, 2016 at 05:09 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Most economical camera for timelapse imagery

Maybe you can rent a body from a place that has an unlimited "mileage" option.

EBH

Jul 13, 2016 at 08:59 PM
tiggy
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Most economical camera for timelapse imagery

I do this quite a lot. I've put about 300k exposures on two bodies (1dx and 7d2) in the past month. I don't think the "ratings" for the shutters mean a great deal. I don't own a body that hasn't exceeded its estimated shutter life.

My recommendation would be to pursue one of two strategies:
1) Buy a used Rebel series T5i or younger, or a used 70D. Use them up, which would likely be six figures of shutter life. That gives you a price per shot of about 1/3rd of a US cent.
2) Buy a used 7d2 or 5d3 and use it up, and then spend $400 for a new shutter when it busts, and do it again a few hundred thousand exposures later. That'll cost you more out of pocket at first, but it would be a cost of 1/4th of a US cent per exposure at the end of the life of the second shutter, and the images will be rather nicer. And if you are super high volume and go through more shutters, it could get quite cheap.

Don't mistake a broken shutter for the death of a camera.

Jul 13, 2016 at 10:41 PM
Daniel Smith
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Most economical camera for timelapse imagery

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?N=11020100&InitialSearch=yes&sts=pi

Same as on the other one about time lapse.,

Jul 14, 2016 at 09:45 AM
Milan Hutera
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Most economical camera for timelapse imagery

Daniel Smith wrote:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?N=11020100&InitialSearch=yes&sts=pi

Same as on the other one about time lapse.,

I'm guessing the OP probably doesn't want to output the files at 720p, which was cutting edge in 2004?

Jul 14, 2016 at 09:52 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.