New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · A labor of love

ben egbert
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · A labor of love

Each year around this time I go to the Uinta mountains for some camping. I love this place which is 75 miles from home and at over 9,000 feet elevation. A month ago there was still about 2 feet of snow on the ground where I camped. The snow is gone now but I had frost in the morning. The air is very thin and crystal clear and the mountain is very close.

I attempt to capture what it feels like to be there, which seldom produces a show stopper image, but it does help me preserve a memory. For me, the light is always different depending on time of day, and cloud conditions. Here are three shots showing this variance.

The first is around 5:30PM when I arrived and still had great clouds, but with shadows cast on the mountain and way too early for golden hour.

The second is just before sunset which was 9:00 pm, but the clouds had moved from the scene and were blocking some of the golden hour glow as you will see in the next day’s sunset.

The third is the following evening with no clouds, but with full power sunlight just before it went down. Note the vast difference from the night before.

All images simply processed, with some exposure, contrast and gamma applied, but no Kodachrome look added. I will do that for my personal use.

Last is a snapshot of my campsite.
Like to hear comments on cropping ideas, which composition you prefer, or how you would change it and processing suggestions.

Jul 13, 2016 at 11:03 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · A labor of love

Dang! Why couldn't those clouds hang around a little longer. Didn't they get your memo Ben?

#3 of course for me, even without those nice clouds. I like your comp on this one as the grass and then mountain reflection make a nice leading line into the frame. I don't see any processing issues that I could help with. Maybe a slightly warmer WB?

Did you use a ND or CPL on that #3 image? The water looks nice and calm!

Couple of small nits/clean-up.
Just above the highest peak there is a slight dark area in the blue. Not sure if maybe you cloned out a dust bunny? It's very hard to see and I didn't notice it until I scrolled up and down.

Sliver of rock at the bottom right edge of the frame and maybe clone out the tiny rock in the water right above there near the far shore.

That is amazing to see the dramatic differences between these shots from the lighting. It's nothing unexpected or new but I think it's cool to see them side by side like this as almost a mini study of the effects of natural light.

When I see comparisons like this or while out shooting, I hear Kent's voice in my head with the explanations he's shared with me (us) about the effects of various light like diffused or reflected light has on our images. I haven't retained all the details yet but I'm at least aware of it and am working on the retention part.

I tell ya Ben, when I see your camp shots you inspire me to get off my butt and get out there. I've been looking for a used cap for my truck for just this very reason. I want a quick and simple way of jumping in and heading out without the camper or even a tent. Although I can see where a tent would be a little nicer.

Jul 13, 2016 at 03:27 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · A labor of love

Thanks a lot for the feedback. You have a sharp eye, I missed the spot and had a hard time even after ya told me, but it's there. Maybe dust?

No CPL or any filters, the wind calmed down and all I had to do was wait for all the fish ripples to die down.

Good suggestions on the rocks, I had considered the bottom one, but can easily do both.

I slept in the tent the first night, much easier to move around and I keep a lantern and chair for reading. But while I am generally warm, the cold air does a number on my nose which I can't cover.

The second night I slept in the truck which was much warmer and my Little Buddy heater works there, but not so good in the tent.

The tent was a good place to stay during the day when it was too cold in the shade with 20mph wind, and I can't be in sun because of potential skin cancer issues.

I love the sound of the wind in the trees, and some distant running water and birds singing. A view to die for makes it all worthwhile. It was crowded Sunday, but they all left Monday morning and I was alone in this bit of Eden.

cleaned up version of 3

Add Topaz brilliant warm to same image.

Jul 13, 2016 at 03:38 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · A labor of love

I can only imagine what a peaceful place this must be. I can almost taste a nice hot cup of coffee while setting there watching the sun come up on a brisk morning. And of course reaching up to hit the shutter button once in a while.

We're setting here baking our "you know what" off around here. It cooled down today though and only hit 102 deg on my way home from work.
Waking up with a cold nose and toes sounds real good right about now. Especially with that view.

You had to of seen some critters at first light, right?

I like your cleaned up edit but I think I would only apply the Topaz to just the FG grasses. I think it made a nice improvement there. But everything else already has a nice natural warm glow, especially the Alpine glow area. I might even consider calming the alpine down a tiny bit from your original. At least on my "run of the mill" calibrated monitor viewing it at this web size.

Beautiful place Ben. Thanks for taking us along for a virtual camping trip with ya.

Dave

Jul 13, 2016 at 09:32 PM
rgoosney
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · A labor of love

Kind of torn between the last two images as they are both beautiful. What a great spot. So envious of you folks that live out west.

Jul 14, 2016 at 05:40 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · A labor of love

lighthound wrote:
I can only imagine what a peaceful place this must be. I can almost taste a nice hot cup of coffee while setting there watching the sun come up on a brisk morning. And of course reaching up to hit the shutter button once in a while.

We're setting here baking our "you know what" off around here. It cooled down today though and only hit 102 deg on my way home from work.
Waking up with a cold nose and toes sounds real good right about now. Especially with that view.

You had to of seen some critters
...Show more

Thanks Dave, I did not see any critters, I think there were too many people here the week before (4th of July week)

My wife prefers the first nights image because she thinks the second is too saturated, but I did not add any to the pre Topaz version. You are probably correct, just add it to the foreground, the natural glow is plenty..

Topaz applied to foreground only

Edited on Jul 14, 2016 at 10:42 AM · View previous versions

Jul 14, 2016 at 10:20 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · A labor of love

rgoosney wrote:
Kind of torn between the last two images as they are both beautiful. What a great spot. So envious of you folks that live out west.

Thanks, and because you are torn, I am probably going to do as Dave suggested and apply Topaz only to the foreground.

This is a great spot and I feel blessed to live here.

Jul 14, 2016 at 10:21 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · A labor of love

Yup, I like it!
I've only seen this first light (apline glow) just a few times in my life while out west a few years ago. I was amazed on how vibrant it was during those first few minutes when it hits those granite mountains.

I so wish I was more into photography back then. I did buy a new Canon SD1000 just for that trip but at that time I had no real clue about photography and only came home with a ton of images and video that are mostly just memory snap shots. The videos are pretty cool as I took most of them while riding my Harley. The video I shot while riding the Beartooth hwy and in GNP make my wife get sick when she watches them.

Have you ever shot any landscapes in Yellowstone Ben? There are a ton of great places there that I've always wanted to get back there to shoot. One of which, that sticks in my mind, was this one area where the river was flowing down through the valley and there were all kinds of critters all over the place with wildflowers and snow capped mountains in the BG. When I first saw it I pulled over and just stared at it with my mouth hanging open. I think it was the most beautiful scene I have ever seen in my life. I really need to move out there someday. It's my calling as I can feel it in my soul.

Jul 14, 2016 at 11:58 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · A labor of love

I have been to Yellowstone many times, first in 1958. I also did the Bear Tooth and stayed in Cody so I could drive up and do sunset and sunrise. There was a forest fire however and the smoke did not help. I had a 1DS3 then so I was getting fair images.

I never took to Yellowstone, when I am there I can't wait to get back down to the Tetons, one of my favorite places in the world. I am not much of a critter photography, just birds. I also never had an eye for making thermal feature images.

Jul 14, 2016 at 12:47 PM
rgoosney
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · A labor of love

Yep, Topaz in the foreground is a winner! Very nice picture.

Jul 14, 2016 at 02:02 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · A labor of love

rgoosney wrote:
Yep, Topaz in the foreground is a winner! Very nice picture.

Thanks, I like it in spite of no clouds. Also thanks for the comments which helped me decide to compromise the Topaz. I could have done this a number of ways, but I really like some of the Topaz actions if I already have a fairly well developed image.

Jul 14, 2016 at 02:06 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · A labor of love

ben egbert wrote:
I have been to Yellowstone many times, first in 1958. I also did the Bear Tooth and stayed in Cody so I could drive up and do sunset and sunrise. There was a forest fire however and the smoke did not help. I had a 1DS3 then so I was getting fair images.

I never took to Yellowstone, when I am there I can't wait to get back down to the Tetons, one of my favorite places in the world. I am not much of a critter photography, just birds. I also never had an eye for making thermal feature
...Show more

1958! Holy crap! I wasn't even a twinkle in my moms eye yet.

I think that might be one of my downfalls in photography. I'm too rattle headed and bounce from Landscapes to Wildlife all the time. And it's not a seasonal thing as I sometimes switch over within seconds if I have all my gear with me.

ADHD BABY! It's the new way of life!

Oh look, shiny!

Dave

Jul 14, 2016 at 02:28 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · A labor of love

Hey, in 1958 I had just graduated from high school and did a lot of the driving to Yellowstone from LA.

Jul 14, 2016 at 03:46 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · A labor of love

You mean they had automobiles back then?

Seriously though, like I said yesterday, you inspire me to get out there and to enjoy this craft of ours. I hope I'll still be getting out there the way you do when I reach your age. I got another 30 or so years to go but already I'm starting to wonder if that will ever happen.

Jul 14, 2016 at 04:02 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · A labor of love

It will, I never expected to get past 65 the age my dad and grandad died, but I am well past that. Now I think I have another 5-10 years if my vision holds out. I can still bench 150 and do 30 push ups.

Jul 14, 2016 at 04:50 PM
rgoosney
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · A labor of love

ben egbert wrote:
Thanks, I like it in spite of no clouds. Also thanks for the comments which helped me decide to compromise the Topaz. I could have done this a number of ways, but I really like some of the Topaz actions if I already have a fairly well developed image.

I agree that clouds can really make or break an image I think the peaks might have benefitted from some clouds but that might have take away from the reflection in the water which is so clear that you can see the rocks below. I really like this image.

Jul 15, 2016 at 05:49 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · A labor of love

rgoosney wrote:
I agree that clouds can really make or break an image I think the peaks might have benefitted from some clouds but that might have take away from the reflection in the water which is so clear that you can see the rocks below. I really like this image.

Thanks, this is almost a study in RGB red green blue. This is why I minimized the sky.

Jul 15, 2016 at 08:54 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · A labor of love

I didn't notice this until now but now that you mentioned minimizing the sky, I see the main reason this image works so well and feels good to view. It's the way you composed and cropped it. It has a perfect balance and harmony by the way the sky and sky reflection are of the same size (proportions). And of course the symmetry caused by the reflection itself.

Ha! I knew there was something going on here but I wasn't bright enough to see it at first.
Kent would be proud of me I think.

Remember this composition on your next visit Ben! It really works well here IMHO.

Dave

Jul 15, 2016 at 09:19 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · A labor of love

Thanks Dave. I have shown this scene on the forum for the last three years and gotten composition ideas all along. I did not have a wide enough lens the first year and of course always too centered.
I have learned to get more to the right edge of the lake and stepping back a bit which after a 16x9 crop places the mid line well above center. I count the midline as the line that would bisect the reflection.

This also places the main top of the peak a bit left of center.

The first nights was about 10 feet left of here and a bit closer to the water. It has one feature I like, the grass edge more or less follows the reflection, but some of the grass intrudes into the reflection. It also has a few small white flowers. I decided a full clear reflection was better.

On some years, the water level is higher and allows a closer approach and retain a full reflection.

This is the first time in about a dozen visits that I got 100% sun power at sundown.

Jul 15, 2016 at 11:04 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.