Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Best Nikon flash trigger system?

aohara2001
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Best Nikon flash trigger system?

I have been using the Vello Freewave trigger/receivers with my Nikon D750 and my SB910 flashes. They've always kind of sucked, inconsistent with firing and then the trigger's connector completely ripped off in my hot shoe so I'm looking to get a new system.

I am considering going to Cheetah's new 860x flashes and saying goodbye to AA's and external transmitters, but they're on backorder until mid-August. I need something to hold me over.

I use on camera flash with two off camera flashes, so the transmitter on camera needs to have a hot shoe.

I would love some input on what has worked/hasn't worked for you all! Thanks so much!

Jul 12, 2016 at 04:37 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Best Nikon flash trigger system?

aohara2001 wrote:
I have been using the Vello Freewave trigger/receivers with my Nikon D750 and my SB910 flashes. They've always kind of sucked, inconsistent with firing and then the trigger's connector completely ripped off in my hot shoe so I'm looking to get a new system.

I am considering going to Cheetah's new 860x flashes and saying goodbye to AA's and external transmitters, but they're on backorder until mid-August. I need something to hold me over.

I use on camera flash with two off camera flashes, so the transmitter on camera needs to have a hot shoe.

I would love some input on
...Show more

For Nikon go the CheetahLight route, the 860X. Each unit is a trasciever unit so no need for a separate trigger. Ed gives outstanding CS.

Jul 12, 2016 at 05:42 PM
bipock
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Best Nikon flash trigger system?

I made the move to Cheetah and haven't looked back. Great system.

Jul 12, 2016 at 05:44 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Best Nikon flash trigger system?

I had one of my Nikon associates move to Cheetah. Awaiting the chance to play with his new system.

Jul 12, 2016 at 06:06 PM
S-Man23
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Best Nikon flash trigger system?

I just moved to cheetah and came from a set of dumb-ish triggers. Phottix Strato II's for Nikon. They don't remotely set the power for off camera flash's, but it's a one-button group on/off which I loved. They're really good and I'm going to miss their simplicity and ease of use.

Jul 12, 2016 at 06:33 PM
aohara2001
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Best Nikon flash trigger system?

Oh I am definitely going the Cheetah route once they're back in stock, but I need something in the meantime. Cheetah won't have them until mid-late August and I have 3 weddings to shoot. I will look into Phottix.

Jul 13, 2016 at 07:39 AM
hendrikm
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Best Nikon flash trigger system?

I use Radiopoppers PX system.
They donīt sit between camera and flash, the transmitter sits on top of your flash, so the communication is completely the same.

Normally I use the on camera flash in TTL and the remote flashes in TTL OR manually. And you can make all the settings on your master falsh as if youīd using the line-of-sight CLS System by Nikon. Only difference is, itīs transmitted by radio now...

Jul 14, 2016 at 06:34 AM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Best Nikon flash trigger system?

hendrikm wrote:
I use Radiopoppers PX system.
They donīt sit between camera and flash, the transmitter sits on top of your flash, so the communication is completely the same.

This was cool 7-8 years ago but now so out of date technology, cumbersome and expensive. The RP PX system was such baling wire, gaffers tape implementation by today's standards. Today's transceiver units are far superior and less expensive.

Jul 14, 2016 at 07:56 AM
ayjayy
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Best Nikon flash trigger system?

The Adorama version of the 860x are identical to the Cheetah, and in stock now.

Jul 14, 2016 at 08:15 AM
vjaved
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Best Nikon flash trigger system?

I had Phottix Stratos II & just moved to Godox system. Here's my take after two weddings.
Reliable and fast recycl time!
Miss Stratos simplicity of on/off groups but I gained control of the power level.
Miss having 4 groups but now I don't have to fiddle with trigger/receivers. Just pop them on and starts shooting!

Godox/cheetah/flashpoint from Adorama are all the same so while I was waiting for cheetah to be in stock, Adorama was running special for same so just bought 4 V860ii and two XPLOR 600.

Jul 15, 2016 at 08:42 AM
Nathan Padgett
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Best Nikon flash trigger system?

Phottix Stratos II - I love em because they are fairly small and you get a passthrough TTL hotshoe mount. Critical if you like to keep a flash on your camera. The bad news is they usually break after 30ish weddings if you do put a flash on them.

Jul 16, 2016 at 12:04 PM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Best Nikon flash trigger system?

The best without a doubt is the Quantum FreeXwire system of transmitters and receivers. They work with Canon and well as Nikon cameras and flash and of course Quantum flash so I can mix and match based on what I need. I will use Quantum Qflash for the group pictures and regular speedlights the rest of the time.

The FreeXwire is good for 100% reliable flash at distances up to 1000 feet using RF and you can have a remote camera autofocus and release the shutter and a flash from the push of a button on the transmitter unit.

They leave the hot shoe available which I like, except for the DW unit that I will have on the hot shoe when triggering the Quantum Qflash as I can use its small dial to change the EV from the remote flash in 1-2 seconds in 1/3 EV increments. It makes it a whole lot faster to literally dial in the amount of flash for a scene with my subjects.

Quantum even makes adapters so you can use Quantum gear with Nikon iTTL or Canon eTTL triggering.

Jul 18, 2016 at 08:31 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Best Nikon flash trigger system?

I don't think that any system of TTL pass-through on camera is a great idea in practice, especially with a big speedlight like an SB910 on top of it. That is a lot of weight for a trigger to try and support over two hot shoe connections. Eventually, something is going to break.

I've been experimenting using the PC-Sync output on my SB900 and hooking it to a transmitter that I hang off of the flash itself (velcro would work for most, I use something a little more elaborate) and it has been working well and feeling more solid.

I have a love/hate relationship with the Cactus V6 system. I have some of their version II transceivers on the way and I'm hoping that they will be an improvement.

Jul 18, 2016 at 10:05 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Best Nikon flash trigger system?

BSPhotog wrote:
I don't think that any system of TTL pass-through on camera is a great idea in practice, especially with a big speedlight like an SB910 on top of it. That is a lot of weight for a trigger to try and support over two hot shoe connections. Eventually, something is going to break.

If you want or need on camea flash then this is where a transceiver unit is much better than stacking a flash on top of a pass through trigger. Becasue the trigger for off-camera flash is built-in to the unit thus reducing the weight, height and subsquent torque on the hot shoe and your wrist.

Jul 18, 2016 at 10:10 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Best Nikon flash trigger system?

MRomine wrote:
If you want or need on camea flash then this is where a transceiver unit is much better than stacking a flash on top of a pass through trigger. Becasue the trigger for off-camera flash is built-in to the unit thus reducing the weight, height and subsquent torque on the hot shoe and your wrist.

A transceiver is a single unit that is both a transmitter and a receiver, such as the Cactus V6. I agree, though, that a speedlight with the ability to transmit would be easier, as long as the controls for adjusting off camera flash power is quick and readily accessible.

Jul 18, 2016 at 10:28 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.