FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Maccarib Pass, Jasper National Park

VanIsle
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Maccarib Pass, Jasper National Park

Ok, I think I found the ultimate way to complete a photo hike in the Rocky Mountains. I am always fighting time on these trips, as I have a lovely wife and kids who like to have my attention, so I can't just take off for days at a time when we are on vacation. In this instance, my primary goal was to check out the Tonquin Valley, and photograph the Ramparts in the night sky.

Sunset here in Jasper was around 10:20PM, which means a high quality of light from about 8PM on, as the sun is low on the horizon.

I hiked 23km to Amethyst campground, starting at 7PM and ending at 11:30PM which allowed me to complete the entire hike under magical light, stopping to take photos along the way (as attached to this post). I then spent about 3.5 hours waiting for dark skies and taking shots of the Ramparts (seen in the distant background in this shot). The Northern Lights even showed up for me! I then started my hike out at 3AM, picking up early morning light from about 4AM on. Unfortunately the sunrise was a bit of bust. Photos of the Ramparts will come later, as I need more time to process. So by hiking in this way, I got amazing light on the hike in, night skies once I arrived, and amazing light on the way out. As long as you don't need sleep, this seems like the ultimate way to hike... who needs crowds and daylight!?

Thanks for looking,

Jeremy

Jul 12, 2016 at 02:03 PM
rbn920
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Maccarib Pass, Jasper National Park

Very nice photos and light indeed. That is some real dedication to put those hours in!

Jul 12, 2016 at 02:13 PM
DaleBerlin
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Maccarib Pass, Jasper National Park

Beautiful shots, #1 appeals to me most with the sun burst, ramparts, and an eye leading path. 23km oneway? WOW, 28 miles through high country in 12 hours taking photographs along the way. My hat is off to you sir, nice job.

Jul 12, 2016 at 03:07 PM
Bob Kane
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Maccarib Pass, Jasper National Park

Nice views and compositions here, but the HDR is bit overdone for me.

Just sayin'

Jul 12, 2016 at 04:50 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Maccarib Pass, Jasper National Park

Hey Jeremy,

I am liking #1 quite a bit, I think it all works in that one. In #2, it's pretty nice too, but that far mountain is too bright.

Jim

Jul 13, 2016 at 10:58 AM
VanIsle
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Maccarib Pass, Jasper National Park

Thanks for the feedback.

Bob I appreciate your willingness to offer got contrary view. This is a single image processed in Lightroom ... I usually don't like HDR so much either but I felt I had kept within the reality of the scene.

Jim - you're totally right about the brightness of the farther peak. I hadn't caught that - will make a great improvement thanks.

Jul 13, 2016 at 11:46 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.