Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Looking for a new body, need a little help.

beenaround

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Looking for a new body, need a little help.

Hoping to get some info from you guys. I need a decent body stills/video (no where near top of the line) and has WiFi built in. I would prefer not to spend much more than $400 to $500 for the body only. No need for lenses or full frame.

I was looking at the SL1 with the Eye-fi however I was reading about them and it looks like they are dropping all the older cards and dont really care too much about customers that have purchased them. That kinda puts me off on this setup, should I be bothered by that? Or just go with the latest option from them and keep my fingers crossed that they dont do this again?

Any suggestions on what would be the next step up from the SL1, that would include WiFi? I would like to keep the body as small and light as possible.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Jul 12, 2016 at 11:08 AM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Looking for a new body, need a little help.

Just over your stated price, isn't everything , but I would get a refurbished 70D. The 80D is a bit better but more expensive. Both have wifi and do stills and video well. I have an SL1 but prefer using my 70D, now 80D, more. No experience with the Rebel line other than the SL1.

I do think you'll need lenses for the camera to work however.

Jul 12, 2016 at 12:54 PM
beenaround

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Looking for a new body, need a little help.

Thank you for the reply. I have a 17-40 f4, the 70-200 f4, and a 50 stm. I would love to pick up more but for now im pretty much covered with what I need. I have a 5Dc, but I was hoping to get something that is a little newer. The WiFi will be really helpful in being able to send photos directly to a phone or other device while out and about.

Ill look into used 70D bodies, but I was trying to avoid spending too much since this is not something im using to pay the bills.

Jul 12, 2016 at 01:30 PM
AmbientMike
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Looking for a new body, need a little help.

I use a usb otg cable I got for like $3 with a usb card reader to transfer files to the phone. I use a couple of free apps to process them. Probably a bit more work than wi-fi, but doable.

Jul 12, 2016 at 02:14 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Looking for a new body, need a little help.

beenaround wrote:
I need a decent body stills/video (no where near top of the line) and has WiFi built in. I would prefer not to spend much more than $400 to $500 for the body only. No need for lenses or full frame.

That sounds like an iPhone...

Jul 13, 2016 at 07:31 AM
beenaround

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Looking for a new body, need a little help.

molson wrote:
That sounds like an iPhone...

so all amature photographers should sell their equipment and buy cell phones?

Jul 13, 2016 at 07:43 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Looking for a new body, need a little help.

beenaround wrote:

Not just yet, but....

Jul 13, 2016 at 07:48 AM
beenaround

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Looking for a new body, need a little help.

Well thanks for the advice, but im not ready personally to do that. I have lenses, and a full frame body. Just looking for something to make transferring files on the spot easier. Was hoping not to spend another $700-1000 for a body alone.

Jul 13, 2016 at 07:55 AM
Sy Sez
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Looking for a new body, need a little help.

There are currently two Rebel T6s deals on Canon's USA Refurbished site, that are just under $600; one for $579 includes a Kit lens.

Considering that you get a full one year Warranty, the same as new gear, I doubt if you can do much better than that!

http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/search/refurbished-eos-digital-slr-cameras

Leigh

Jul 13, 2016 at 09:30 AM
AmbientMike
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Looking for a new body, need a little help.

Sy Sez wrote:
There are currently two Rebel T6s deals on Canon's USA Refurbished site, that are just under $600; one for $579 includes a Kit lens.

Considering that you get a full one year Warranty, the same as new gear, I doubt if you can do much better than that!

http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/search/refurbished-eos-digital-slr-cameras

Leigh

Wow! Scroll down and check out the T5 and SL1 deals!

Jul 13, 2016 at 11:47 AM
minh giang

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Looking for a new body, need a little help.

i think you will be challenged to do this with wifi built-in to the body (especially on the Canon side), given the price constraints i would find a model compatible with DSLR Controller (https://dslrcontroller.com/devices.php) and plug directly into the phone or build a portable wifi-hotspot that plugs into the camera that broadcasts over wifi to the device.

the SL1 is on the list. heres a video on how to do it,

at the very end you can see how it works on the camera. i bought my TP Link on ebay for $10

Jul 13, 2016 at 12:38 PM
ilikeglass
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Looking for a new body, need a little help.

I thought the answer was a personal trainer when I read title -
"Looking for a new body, need a little help."

I wish I could be of more help but I'm not up on cropped sensor bodies.

Jul 13, 2016 at 01:43 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Looking for a new body, need a little help.

beenaround wrote:

If you say so...

Jul 13, 2016 at 02:03 PM
beenaround

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Looking for a new body, need a little help.

molson wrote:
If you say so...

That was a question, not a statement.

Jul 13, 2016 at 02:20 PM
beenaround

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Looking for a new body, need a little help.

minh giang wrote:
i think you will be challenged to do this with wifi built-in to the body (especially on the Canon side), given the price constraints i would find a model compatible with DSLR Controller (https://dslrcontroller.com/devices.php) and plug directly into the phone or build a portable wifi-hotspot that plugs into the camera that broadcasts over wifi to the device.

the SL1 is on the list. heres a video on how to do it,

at the very end you can see how it works on the camera. i bought my TP Link on ebay for $10

Thank you - i'll take a look at this when I have a few minutes.

Jul 13, 2016 at 02:21 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.