FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Arches - Balanced Rock and Milky Way

Jeremy Reitman
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Arches - Balanced Rock and Milky Way

This was my first time doing any sort of night time sky photography. I used my Fujifilm X-T1 with my Samyang 12mm f1.2 wide open and a 20-30 second exposure.

I forgot my flashlight back in Texas, but I had a speedlite and a short snoot with me, so i popped off a few flashes to try to light up the rock. Would definitely do things differently next time, but I'm pretty happy with my effort here. SOOC other than the crop.

Thoughts?

http://www.jeremyreitman.com/client_download/FM/Balanced_Rock.jpg

Jul 11, 2016 at 03:16 PM
psharvic
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Arches - Balanced Rock and Milky Way

You captured a neat MW. You might want to shorten your SS a bit to get crisper stars.

Jul 11, 2016 at 05:05 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Arches - Balanced Rock and Milky Way

Hi Jeremy,

The Milky Way looks pretty good, especially for SOOC. But the lighting on the rocks really could be toned down more, and especialy on the brush where it becomes pretty distracting. So is this a jpg image from the camera? I would really encourage you to shoot raw, and to spend some time in post processing.

Jim

Jul 12, 2016 at 03:35 AM
Jeremy Reitman
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Arches - Balanced Rock and Milky Way

I have some raws, just haven't had much of a chance since I've been back to play with them. Here's one w/a 20 second expsosure.

http://www.jeremyreitman.com/client_download/FM/Balanced_Rock_Edit.jpg

Jul 12, 2016 at 10:21 AM
Hathaway
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Arches - Balanced Rock and Milky Way

I tend to use my headlamp on a pretty low output for light painting. You can experiment with painting the foreground for a few seconds and you can control what gets lit. Works better for me than a flash. They tend to be too harsh and flood too much of the foreground for what I am trying to do typically.

Jul 12, 2016 at 03:44 PM
Jeremy Reitman
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Arches - Balanced Rock and Milky Way

I was pretty unprepared for this...didn't have a headlamp or a real flashlight, but I did have a speedlight with me. I used my iphone flashlight to find a location to shoot from, and it's beam is not bright enough and way too wide to light something like this up. I was shooting tethered from the Fuji app and nearly lost my camera in the dark at one point. I would definitely do a few things differently next time.

I did use my iphone screen to paint my rental car. I have no idea what was going on in that canyon on the left. I did see some flash lights out there, but it was too far away to tell what was going on, and I wasn't about to try to hike out there with only my iphone.

http://www.jeremyreitman.com/client_download/FM/MilkyWayTraverse.jpg

Jul 12, 2016 at 03:51 PM
Hathaway
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Arches - Balanced Rock and Milky Way

It is amazing how a little light goes a long way when light painting. Looks like your iPhone flashlight did more than an adequate job of lighting your foreground. Especially since the car is white and reflected the light back pretty strongly. The good thing about digital is you can experiment a lot and just ditch the images you don't want/need. Good luck and have fun in the dark! Bob

Jul 13, 2016 at 11:44 AM
Jeremy Reitman
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Arches - Balanced Rock and Milky Way

Hathaway wrote:
It is amazing how a little light goes a long way when light painting. Looks like your iPhone flashlight did more than an adequate job of lighting your foreground. Especially since the car is white and reflected the light back pretty strongly. The good thing about digital is you can experiment a lot and just ditch the images you don't want/need. Good luck and have fun in the dark! Bob

Wasn't even the iphone flashlight lighting up the car...was just the screen! On a 20-30 second exposure it was PLENTY of light. Just couldn't get close enough to balanced rock to do the same sort of thing.

Thanks for looking!

Jul 13, 2016 at 11:48 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.