Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2016 · 1DX II - Backlit artifacts problem?

rdalrt
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 1DX II - Backlit artifacts problem?

Have about 9000 frames on my 1DX II and this is the first I have noticed of this.

I have about 30 consecutive frames from a recent event in which these artifacts show up. All shot in RAW. Artifacts appear in the images on both the CFast card and CF card.

Artifacts are always around the edge of an object with strong backlighting as shown here.

Here are a couple of 100% or so crops illustrating the problem.

Anybody seen anything like this before?

Jul 11, 2016 at 11:40 AM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 1DX II - Backlit artifacts problem?

I haven't seen this yet.

I noticed from the EXIF you exported from LR6.6. I assume you shot RAW? Could you try other RAW converters such as Canon's DPP or C1? Or reset your LR settings and export it as-is to compare. Alternatively, it would be interesting to see how the in-camera RAW conversion handles these...

What I'm getting at is figuring out if it's an actual problem with the camera, or a conversion software problem.

Jul 11, 2016 at 02:26 PM
rdalrt
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 1DX II - Backlit artifacts problem?

The artifacts show up when viewed/exported from Photo Mechanic, C1, DPP and Lightroom. So it does not seem to be software related.

Jul 11, 2016 at 03:14 PM
Mike Jacks0n
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 1DX II - Backlit artifacts problem?

Does it show up on the jpeg (both LCD review or PC viewing)?

Jul 11, 2016 at 05:17 PM
rdalrt
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 1DX II - Backlit artifacts problem?

It shows up when scanning through with photo mechanic. Which to my understanding uses the embedded jpg for speed.

Jul 11, 2016 at 05:47 PM
Tom_W
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 1DX II - Backlit artifacts problem?

CF card or CFast?

Jul 11, 2016 at 05:51 PM
rdalrt
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 1DX II - Backlit artifacts problem?

On both cards.

Jul 11, 2016 at 05:58 PM
Deborah Kolt
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 1DX II - Backlit artifacts problem?

Very strange: it's only on the left side, and then doesn't look like it goes all the way down the body, but is concentrated on the head. Could you be picking up something from another camera or electronic device,? Is it on every frame? I've been shooting backlit regularly and haven't seen anything remotely resembling that.

Jul 11, 2016 at 06:43 PM
tntcorp
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 1DX II - Backlit artifacts problem?

same issue with native canon raw viewer/editor? with different card reader? with different brand of card?

camera a/d converter would be a suspect after the above check.

Jul 11, 2016 at 07:18 PM
rdalrt
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 1DX II - Backlit artifacts problem?

Deborah Kolt wrote:
Very strange: it's only on the left side, and then doesn't look like it goes all the way down the body, but is concentrated on the head. Could you be picking up something from another camera or electronic device,? Is it on every frame? I've been shooting backlit regularly and haven't seen anything remotely resembling that.

It is only on the last 30 or so frames from the shoot. First time I have seen it.

I have already formatted the cards from this shoot, but will be watching for it and will try a different reader if I see it again. FWIW, these were ingested using a Lexar HR1 hub with the CFast and CF modules.

Jul 11, 2016 at 07:23 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 1DX II - Backlit artifacts problem?

tntcorp wrote:
same issue with native canon raw viewer/editor? with different card reader? with different brand of card?

camera a/d converter would be a suspect after the above check.

I thought the 1DX II had on-sensor ADC.

EBH

Jul 11, 2016 at 07:31 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 1DX II - Backlit artifacts problem?

rdalrt wrote:
It is only on the last 30 or so frames from the shoot. First time I have seen it.

I have already formatted the cards from this shoot, but will be watching for it and will try a different reader if I see it again. FWIW, these were ingested using a Lexar HR1 hub with the CFast and CF modules.

Ingested That hub may be defective. I had a couple of issues with the Lexar workflow system, though the corrupted files were simply unreadable. sjms had some problem as well, IIRC.

EBH

Jul 11, 2016 at 07:33 PM
rdalrt
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 1DX II - Backlit artifacts problem?

EB-1 wrote:
Ingested That hub may be defective. I had a couple of issues with the Lexar workflow system, though the corrupted files were simply unreadable. sjms had some problem as well, IIRC.

EBH

I suppose the hub could be the culprit. It is brand new, have only used it 2 or 3 times previous. If this happens again, will definitely try with the sandisk reader that came with the card.

Jul 11, 2016 at 07:44 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 1DX II - Backlit artifacts problem?

rdalrt wrote:
I suppose the hub could be the culprit. It is brand new, have only used it 2 or 3 times previous. If this happens again, will definitely try with the sandisk reader that came with the card.

It's worth a shot. Unfortunately I do think there may be a camera issue due to the non-random location of the artifacts. IIRC there was some issue with the 5D II or other camera at introduction with black spot artifacts.

EBH

Jul 11, 2016 at 07:49 PM
gschlact
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 1DX II - Backlit artifacts problem?

Could it be related to ITR face recognition? (Not saying it should be there)
I doubt it card reader, the red marks seem to follow the curve of the face /head.

Jul 11, 2016 at 10:07 PM
rdalrt
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 1DX II - Backlit artifacts problem?

Well, I believe we can rule out the card reader.

I recovered the images from the CF card using a different reader and different computer and still get the artifacts.

In fact, now that I take a closer look, a good many photos from Sunday are showing this effect. Below are a couple more samples. Always seems to follow the curve of a bright/dark divide in the photo.

These were also taken with a different lens.

Jul 11, 2016 at 11:31 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 1DX II - Backlit artifacts problem?

Kind of scary... now you've got me wondering. I'll have to go through the couple weddings I shot recently (though won't have time for a couple days)...

Jul 12, 2016 at 01:16 AM
therealthings
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 1DX II - Backlit artifacts problem?

You could try to send a couple of raws to the guys at RawDigger. They are specialized in analyzing images.

Jul 12, 2016 at 01:22 AM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 1DX II - Backlit artifacts problem?

Which firmware 1.0.0 or 1.0.2 ? If former, might be worth updating and a re-try. Couldn't hurt

Jul 12, 2016 at 07:45 AM
rdalrt
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 1DX II - Backlit artifacts problem?

schlotz wrote:
Which firmware 1.0.0 or 1.0.2 ? If former, might be worth updating and a re-try. Couldn't hurt

These were with 1.0.0. I updated to 1.0.2 last night and will try to test today.

Jul 12, 2016 at 08:01 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.