FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Sierra Portfolio/Mount Whitney, Tulainyo Lake

claudefiddler
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sierra Portfolio/Mount Whitney, Tulainyo Lake

The photo of Mount Whitney is taken from the slopes of Mount Barnard. I'd climbed Barnard the day before and hiking down toward the end of the day I watched this light unfold. I kicked myself that I didn't have my camera but built a little cairn to mark the spot I would return to. I went back the next day and planted my tripod at my marker. I did not hold out much hope for a repeat of the light I had seen. I had never seen Sierra light do a the same thing, except this time. I could not believe my luck as I watched this outrageous illumination happen over the peaks.

The lake under the north wall of Mount Hale is Wales Lake. The outlet creek is Wallace creek.

The second picture is Tulainyo Lake.The highest lake in North America. This picture took six trips over half a dozen years to Russell-Carillon col. 13,280'. I took this photo on the way into Wales and Wallace Lakes. Same trip as the Whitney photo. I was camped at Lower Boy Scout Lake and trudged up the sand slope to the col. There were lenticular clouds out so there was some chance that some interesting light would happen. There was also a chance for a camera rattling wind. I made it to my familiar perch and waited for the sun to lower in the west. The wind died down as the sun started to set and I made two exposures before the light was off the slopes leading toward Tulainyo lake and the clouds turned dark blue.
Back to camp with the headlamp on.

© claudefiddler 2016

Mount Whitney from the slopes of Mount Barnard

© claudefiddler 2016

Tulainyo Lake from Russell Carillon col

Jul 11, 2016 at 09:36 AM
angel manguel
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sierra Portfolio/Mount Whitney, Tulainyo Lake

That first image is mighty sweet. Love the light! Looks like it could be Mars! And terrific story too. Thanks for posting.

Alan

Jul 11, 2016 at 09:47 AM
Dave Dillemuth
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sierra Portfolio/Mount Whitney, Tulainyo Lake

Claude,
These are both very fine images. The colors and luminance in the first are striking. The second has an equally beautiful color palette and very nice comp.

Jul 11, 2016 at 09:55 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sierra Portfolio/Mount Whitney, Tulainyo Lake

Hey Claude,

Very nice here. While I like the soft palette of colors in the clouds in #2, the light in #1 and the shapes of those peaks is just spectacular. I am glad to hear that the light returned for you on that 2nd night. You are correct that the sunset light and color is rarely ever the same twice, let alone the same 2 days in a row.

Jim

Jul 11, 2016 at 10:19 AM
Chance2
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sierra Portfolio/Mount Whitney, Tulainyo Lake

These are both beauties, Claude.

I hope you don't mind, one of your comments piqued my interest and I checked your site the other day as well. I really enjoyed watching your "portfolio" video. Great stuff, and I just love your approach to photography.

Now forgive me for being really nosy: Wasn't the second shot you have here posted somewhere else, only reversed with the lake on the left? I only recall it, or think I do, because I liked it so much.

Jul 11, 2016 at 10:26 AM
DaleBerlin
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sierra Portfolio/Mount Whitney, Tulainyo Lake

Nice Claude. That 1st one is a killer, and with a blank sky you really made it pop.

Jul 11, 2016 at 11:11 AM
Brad Williams
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sierra Portfolio/Mount Whitney, Tulainyo Lake

Really like the first photo Claude. You really have some sweet light going there!

Jul 11, 2016 at 01:27 PM
claudefiddler
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sierra Portfolio/Mount Whitney, Tulainyo Lake

Chance2 wrote:
These are both beauties, Claude.

I hope you don't mind, one of your comments piqued my interest and I checked your site the other day as well. I really enjoyed watching your "portfolio" video. Great stuff, and I just love your approach to photography.

Now forgive me for being really nosy: Wasn't the second shot you have here posted somewhere else, only reversed with the lake on the left? I only recall it, or think I do, because I liked it so much.

Thanks all for the compliments.

Photo of Tulainyo Lake was not posted elsewhere, at least by me. The photo is published in my book High Sierra: Wilderness of Light and it's in the correct orientation there. I'm not aware of someone else's photo of Tulainyo. And reversing the lake. Blasphemous!

Jul 11, 2016 at 04:09 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.