FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Lens Choice for Rwanda Gorilla Trek

Sierra Trekker
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lens Choice for Rwanda Gorilla Trek

For those that have been on the trek, have a choice between a 70-200 f2.8 L II or a 100-400 f4-5.6 L II mounted on a 1 DX II. I understand that it is best to just take one combination. Am going in early August. Thanks.

Jul 10, 2016 at 11:57 AM
marc2307
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lens Choice for Rwanda Gorilla Trek

I've seen gorillas in the Virunga's- Rwanda now on 3 different occasions, since '93 and can say without a doubt the 70-200 f/2.8, is your choice, as you'll most likely find them in heavy cover with light @ a premium, where the f/2.8 comes into it's own. Generally speaking you are able to get quite close to them and one one occasion I had the privelige of a mother and baby fall from a broken branch right on top of me! All escaped unharmed, but with a lifetime memory!
Having said that I have found them feeding out in the open in corn fields.
Be prepared for a trek that can range anywhere between 1 to 5 hours. I'd also take a 1.4tc for a bit of reach.

Cheers
Marc

Edited on Jul 11, 2016 at 01:23 AM · View previous versions

Jul 10, 2016 at 02:37 PM
Sierra Trekker
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lens Choice for Rwanda Gorilla Trek

Thanks For the advice and yes, I'll bring along a 1.4 TC.
My wife and I have been in training anticipating the hike. Do you have any idea of the change in elevation we might expect?

Jul 10, 2016 at 03:59 PM
marcy45
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lens Choice for Rwanda Gorilla Trek

the 70-200 is great - sometimes they are almost too close - we had a lot of rain one day and moist on the second day - but you should be dryer - take something to protect for the wet even though it may not rain-
I worked out in the Phoenix area - should have worked out in Flagstaff - we started at 7200 ft and went to 8500 feet on the first day in pouring rain - most difficult hike due to slippery conditions and we were exhausted and we had to run thru the bamboo trying to keep up with the gorillas as the flew thru the forest -
on the second day started a 8000 went to 9000 took 2 hours straight up hill not as wet but very difficult breathing -this time the gorillas stayed in one place did not move much but we were in hip deep stinging nettle - make sure you take a Leather based gloves to keep that out of your hands -a couple of guys had Kevlar based gloves and the stinging nettle went right thru the weave - but I tell you I would do it again in a heart beat - but I would pay the porter $20.00 to carry my equipment and I am 67 yrs old and in real good sports shape -

Jul 10, 2016 at 05:32 PM
marcy45
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lens Choice for Rwanda Gorilla Trek

you should not need the TC - you don't want to waste time changing lenses - they make you leave your packs at the start of the 1 hour visit when you get to the gorillas - no tripods or monopods - they are very strict about the time and you will be in a very difficult environment - have good sturdy hiking shoes - the guides usually size up their group and will take you accordingly - some of the hikes were 6 hours - so be prepared for anything - it was so exciting and the gorillas walked right thru where we were standing and one of the biggest silverbacks actually touched one of the other ladies coat feeling the material - so fantastic -

Jul 10, 2016 at 05:37 PM
marcy45
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lens Choice for Rwanda Gorilla Trek

go to our youtube site and watch the video that my husband took - there are several - we are not pro's so this will give you and idea of the reality of the experience -

Jul 10, 2016 at 05:41 PM
Sierra Trekker
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Lens Choice for Rwanda Gorilla Trek

Thanks for all of the advice. The video really helped to visualize the setting.

My wife and I have been a bit apprehensive about the hike and have been hiking up in our local mountains (Sierra Nevada)for the past week. Plan on going a couple of more times to hit some higher elevations (10,000 ft). OK so far, endurance is still not there. It's hard for a 65 year old body to perform the way you think it should, but reality is reality.

We do plan on using porters as much as possible.

Jul 10, 2016 at 06:41 PM
marc2307
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Lens Choice for Rwanda Gorilla Trek

Seeing you are taking an FX body the 1.4tc will come in handy for those close up intimate portraits, especially where dappled light falls across the face
Remember if this is to be a once in a lifetime experience, you'll kick yourself if that opportunity arises and you don't have it.
Also I'd recommend a black rapid strap for carrying that body/lens down at your side.

Jul 11, 2016 at 01:36 AM
dallvr
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Lens Choice for Rwanda Gorilla Trek

Definitely the 70-200. When I went, I had one camera with the 70-200 and another with the 24-105. You will be quite close to the gorillas.

Jul 11, 2016 at 03:23 PM
dallvr
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Lens Choice for Rwanda Gorilla Trek

Hire a local porter to carry your stuff up the mountain. It is a good way to support the local economy and convert people who were previously poachers to an eco-friendly job. We hired two when we went, and were glad we did. It is a pretty fast climb with quite a bit of altitude change. Our first trek started at 8000 ft. and we went up to 10,000. The porters will also give you a hand if you tire on the way up.

Jul 11, 2016 at 03:27 PM
Sierra Trekker
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Lens Choice for Rwanda Gorilla Trek

Thanks for the advice on the porters..............will definitely do so. Trying to get into better lung shape considering the elevation change, We'll be somewhat acclimated having spent the previous week in Kenya, but have been taking hikes in our local mountains to elevations of 10,000........that coming from sea level on the same day so it's not quite the same.

Think I have settled on taking a 1DX II with the 70-200 2.8 II along with a Leica Q for the close in shots, Think the Leica will be easier to handle with the 1DX versus having a 5Dsr as my second camera.

Jul 13, 2016 at 09:48 AM
dallvr
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Lens Choice for Rwanda Gorilla Trek

Getting acclimated to altitude will definitely help. When we went in 2014, we were coming directly from sea level. The climbs were tough for me, although i could feel a difference by the third day. As far as the porters, in early 2014 they were $10 plus a tip. Not sure what they are now, but are definitely affordable. Your gear choices sound good, you have to leave most of your stuff behind, so you can take only what you can carry.

Jul 16, 2016 at 01:49 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.