New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2016 · Recommendations for a tripod

br4dz

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Recommendations for a tripod

I'm looking for a decent tripod that doesn't break the bank. I've been wanting one for a while, but there are only a small handful of times I actually wish I had one. I would prefer it to be light and fairly compact. I do not need a fancy feature packed carbon fiber tripod that's going to cost me $350, but I'm willing to pay up to $100-ish (preferably less) for something that'll work for basic sky photography and a stable base for an 80D + EF 400mm f/5.6L setup.

Jul 10, 2016 at 12:08 AM
vigna
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Recommendations for a tripod

I have couple of tripods for various purposes. I recently purchased a travel tripod which may suit your need. It is 35 cm in length, weighs 1.4 kg and can load up to 12 kg loading. Check this out http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Q666c-Professional-Carbon-Fiber-Tripod-For-SLR-Camera-Portable-Traveling-Tripod-Head-Monopod-Changeable-Max-Loading/1139466206.html

Jul 10, 2016 at 01:00 AM
hir0
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Recommendations for a tripod

gitzo 1542 and sirui k20x is my carry everywhere setup. it's not < $100 but i think this is one area worth investing in.

Jul 11, 2016 at 06:40 AM
WestTexas Sky
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Recommendations for a tripod

I am not sure there is a $100 tripod that is robust enough for a 400mm lens.

You really want a tripod that is tall enough and stable enough for that lens. You will also need a ballhead. If you are a wildlife photographer you may also want a gimbal for use too. And if you are going to get a good setup you mind as well go for carbon fiber.

Realistically you will need to spend more like $1000 not $100 to truly get a good set up.

Having said that if you do not need the gimbal and can get by with the tripod and ballhead you might be able to spend about $400-500

The Sirui K-40 ballhead is beefy enough and about $160 alone.

A good set of Sirui legs will be $300-400. Feisol also makes some good legs but for a 400mm you probably want a 3372 which is about $500.

Manfrotto 055 aluminum could work and be more reasonable.

Remember that if you buy right , you will probably never need another one. I bought a Gitzo 12 years ago and it is still like new and a rock. I expect to use it for another ten plus years.

Thom Hogan has a great article on tripods on his site you really should read.

Good luck.

Jul 11, 2016 at 07:51 AM
br4dz

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Recommendations for a tripod

Not sure how heavy you think the 400mm F/5.6 is, but it only weighs 2 1/2 lbs . I would rarely use the tripod, so anything above the ~$100-ish range is hugely out of the question, especially something that's $400-$500. It would be cheaper hiring someone to act like a tripod at that point. I handhold, and would hand hold for 99% of my shots, the tripod would be for shooting the night sky or long moments of watching large grazing animals from a distance.

Lightweight, able to hold 4-5 lbs, and not breaking the bank are my only 3 stipulations, why is it so hard to find a basic tripod for a decent price!

Jul 11, 2016 at 08:24 AM
ffstory
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Recommendations for a tripod

br4dz wrote:
I'm willing to pay up to $100-ish (preferably less) for something that'll work for 80D + EF 400mm f/5.6L setup.

Keep dreaming...

Seriously, requirement to support a 400mm lens is quite demanding in that budget.

On the other hand you still have time to avoid buying $100 tripod. That will make the inevitable second purchase $100 cheaper

br4dz wrote:
Not sure how heavy you think the 400mm F/5.6 is, but it only weighs 2 1/2 lbs .

It is not about weight of the gear, but focal length and vibrations.

Edited on Jul 11, 2016 at 08:42 AM · View previous versions

Jul 11, 2016 at 08:34 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Recommendations for a tripod

I found Tom Hogan's tripod buying advice worth a read.
http://bythom.com/support.htm
You may very well find a $100 tripod that will work well for your needs. Or, you may simply increase the cost of a decent tripod by $100.
If you do find something that works well, I know others would like to hear from you.

David

Jul 11, 2016 at 08:41 AM
ariot
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Recommendations for a tripod

I've tried several $100 dollar range tripods over the years.

I recently decided that was a mistake for me, and I got decent tripod + head from Really Right Stuff. I'm learning how to best use it and take advantage of it.

The best inexpensive one I used was the MePhoto Roadtrip.

I also like the Joby Gorillapod for a "just in case" left in the car or in a backpack.

Jul 11, 2016 at 08:51 AM
WestTexas Sky
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Recommendations for a tripod

I used to shoot the 50D with the 70-200 f/4 IS lens. On my Gitzo 1325 and Kirk BH-1 it's stable. On my Feisol 3401 and Kirk BH-3 it's pushing it as it seems top heavy but would work for a lightweight outfit. On my small Sirui 025x it's way too top heavy and for emergency use only.

Seriously, read the Thom Hogan article. It will save you $$

br4dz wrote:
Not sure how heavy you think the 400mm F/5.6 is, but it only weighs 2 1/2 lbs . I would rarely use the tripod, so anything above the ~$100-ish range is hugely out of the question, especially something that's $400-$500. It would be cheaper hiring someone to act like a tripod at that point. I handhold, and would hand hold for 99% of my shots, the tripod would be for shooting the night sky or long moments of watching large grazing animals from a distance.

Lightweight, able to hold 4-5 lbs, and not breaking the bank are my only 3
...Show more

Jul 11, 2016 at 08:55 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Recommendations for a tripod

Although I love my gitzo 1325 tripod, I often reach for a 5 series equivalent for long telephotos or night sky tracking. Used 1325's are around $300. I think a solid Feisol tripod is a great deal for support.

Jul 11, 2016 at 12:53 PM
grog13
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Recommendations for a tripod

br4dz wrote:

Lightweight, able to hold 4-5 lbs, and not breaking the bank are my only 3
...Show more

There's the saying "Light, sturdy, cheap - pick any two." It's really true. You can probably get a good used tripod sturdy enough for your setup for $100 but it's not going to be lightweight (at least not what I'd call lightweight, i.e. easily backpackable). Don't take seriously most manufacturer's capacity ratings for their tripods & heads - by that measure nearly anything will hold 5 lbs. Holding a 5 lb lead ball is easy, but something asymmetrically shaped (like, say, a camera & long lens) is a whole different problem. If 6 - 8 lbs is acceptable weight for a tripod, it's doable for $100. Look on ebay or maybe on the B&S forum here, KEH or Adorama's used section for a Tiltall tripod.

Edit: Looks like the Tiltall has been resurrected: http://tiltalltripod.com/tindex.html Can't vouch for the sturdiness or low cost of these new ones, but probably okay.

Jul 11, 2016 at 01:04 PM
br4dz

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Recommendations for a tripod

What do you guys think about this one?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015CGRREI/ref=gbps_tit_m-2_3fbc_7b02a8d6?pf_rd_p=91f3a7fa-63d3-4b36-9063-bb9391783fbc&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-2&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=14611812011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=GVRTHC8XPW2E214WHQ79

It's a little heavy, but sounds like I have to compromise, and it'll be even cheaper in a few hours during Amazon's prime deal for it.

Jul 12, 2016 at 05:00 AM
WestTexas Sky
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Recommendations for a tripod

I have never heard of this brand. That does not mean it will not work but you might think before you trust $2000+ worth of camera equipment to an $85 tripod.

Here is one from a brand I have heard of but never used and tends to get decent reviews.

I still think it might not be sturdy enough and you will want to be careful about your rig making it too top heavy but it is close to your price point.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1157882-REG/benro_fvy28aih1_velocity_aluminum_2_tripod.html

br4dz wrote:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015CGRREI/ref=gbps_tit_m-2_3fbc_7b02a8d6?pf_rd_p=91f3a7fa-63d3-4b36-9063-bb9391783fbc&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-2&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=14611812011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=GVRTHC8XPW2E214WHQ79

It's a little heavy, but sounds like I have to compromise, and it'll be even cheaper in a few hours during Amazon's prime deal for it.

Jul 12, 2016 at 05:28 AM
grog13
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Recommendations for a tripod

br4dz wrote:

It probably won't collapse with your camera on it, but will it work better than handholding? Probably not. You're just not going to get a tripod in that weight & price range that will do what you need it to do. Either the weight or the price has to go up. Sad but true.
Assuming it's in good shape, this will do the job: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tiltal-tripod-and-head-black-finish-metal-collars-brass-bushings-REDUCED-/271856994691?hash=item3f4bf08983:g:YiEAAOSwBahVQ-XO
Not cool, not light but will do the job.

Jul 12, 2016 at 10:52 AM
JPAZ

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Recommendations for a tripod

+1.

I have used some no-name tripods over the years. They are either too heavy or too difficult to set up or lack the ability to adjust to my needs at the moment. Then I got a decent travel tripod (CF, holds 17#, light and short for transport). I was very satisfied until I used it with some long lenses. The issue is not what it can support but how stable and vibration free the kit will be. With my 5Diii and many lenses in the daytime, using a weight hung on the hook under the head, I got reasonable images. Then I tried some moon shots with a 300 or a 400. I'd set the composition then need to wait until the vibrations stopped and by then the moon had obviously moved.

Just like the article mentioned above, I learned that I needed something sturdier. The problem is that tripod legs (and ballheads or gimbals) that will be ideal for your rig will not be cheap (unless you come across something used that is in good shape).

If you are able to go somewhere and try them out, put your camera and lens on a setup you think would work and look through liveview. Move the lens to an pbject than watch the vibrations until they calm down. At 50mm, no big deal but at 400, you'd be surprised.

Jul 15, 2016 at 10:05 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Recommendations for a tripod

A 24MP EF-S body and a 400 are not exactly easy to handhold stably. Especially in low to moderate lighting, higher shutter speeds will require high ISO and the resulting noise. On a cheapo tripod it may still be shaky.

EBH

Jul 16, 2016 at 01:11 PM
Dj R
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Recommendations for a tripod

tripod shopping 101:

you can choose two

quality
light
cheap

you can't have three
it's like ordering chinese food

that's it!

I have a gitzo 1542t
good luck

Jul 16, 2016 at 08:11 PM
Fotografpaul
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Recommendations for a tripod

Why bother getting support if won't support your setup properly. Save your money, and wait until you can afford something useful.

Jul 17, 2016 at 01:34 AM
Feelingfroggy

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Recommendations for a tripod

I'm not a professional but maybe a monopod/bipod would work for you? Might help in the cost area. Just a thought.

Jul 20, 2016 at 09:10 PM
hijazist
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Recommendations for a tripod

IMHO you CAN find quality tripods without breaking the bank. However, $100 is very unrealistic.

I highly suggest you look for used deals. My first setup was a Gitzo 1298 Basalt with a BH30 ballhead. I got them here for $250 for both. Another budget tripod that I was really happy with is the MeFoto Roadtrip.

Jul 23, 2016 at 11:09 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.