FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Sunset on Rialto Beach, Washington

Kris Sproul
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sunset on Rialto Beach, Washington

Here's a new photo I took two weeks ago while spending the weekend camping on Rialto Beach in Olympic National Park. I'd love to get your thoughts on this one. Thanks!

Edited on Jul 10, 2016 at 12:23 PM · View previous versions

Jul 09, 2016 at 08:10 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sunset on Rialto Beach, Washington

I really like it. The long exposure clouds, thin yellow sunset, foreground structure.

David

Jul 10, 2016 at 09:52 AM
Kris Sproul
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sunset on Rialto Beach, Washington

dgdg wrote:
I really like it. The long exposure clouds, thin yellow sunset, foreground structure.

David

Thanks, David! I'm glad you like the clouds. I took several exposures at different speeds, and as it got darker after this one, I was able to capture a few that were a minute or two long (using a 3-stop ND, if I recall correctly), really smoothing out the clouds. However, in the end, I decided to go with this 10-second exposure, which has some movement in the clouds, but retains some texture in the sky. This one also has the added benefit of some additional color in the sky and better definition in the foreground water movement.

Jul 10, 2016 at 11:58 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sunset on Rialto Beach, Washington

Hey Kris,

I like your choice of this image. The added color in the clouds is something I noticed and liked about this one. I like how you have the water composed in the foreground also.

Jim

Jul 10, 2016 at 12:18 PM
Kris Sproul
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sunset on Rialto Beach, Washington

JimFox wrote:
Hey Kris,

I like your choice of this image. The added color in the clouds is something I noticed and liked about this one. I like how you have the water composed in the foreground also.

Jim

Thanks, Jim! The foreground is what drew me to the location, and then the clouds rolled in after that. It wasn't the spectacular sunset I had hoped for, but I was happy to get some color.

Jul 10, 2016 at 04:06 PM
angel manguel
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sunset on Rialto Beach, Washington

What is NOT to like about this image Kris. Beautifully composed with interest in all areas of the image. Well done.

Alan

Jul 10, 2016 at 04:30 PM
Kris Sproul
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sunset on Rialto Beach, Washington

angel manguel wrote:
What is NOT to like about this image Kris. Beautifully composed with interest in all areas of the image. Well done.

Alan

Thank you very much, Alan!

Jul 10, 2016 at 08:08 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.