New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2016 · Contemplating an ugrade!

EB-1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Contemplating an ugrade!

Jeff Nolten wrote:
Still contemplating that increment. I went for a 5K Retina iMac this year instead. Its made all my images look better.

At this point, I'd wait for the 5D IV announcement before deciding.

EBH

Jul 10, 2016 at 11:50 AM
wtlloyd
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Contemplating an ugrade!

The lens will last you far longer than the camera. If you really want the 7DII, you should be able to get a used or refurb unit cheaply next year. That camera has great specs, but somehow it just doesn't all come together in practice, in my experience. Get the lens.

Jul 10, 2016 at 11:58 AM
carrg1954
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Contemplating an ugrade!

Picking one then the 100-400
regards

Jul 11, 2016 at 04:51 AM
RexGig0
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Contemplating an ugrade!

If noise in your images is a factor, it makes sense to move to the newer 7D Mark II. I wanted cleaner OOC JPEGs at ISO 3200, plus a second memory card slot, and the 7D II definitely did that for me. (My evidentiary/forensic/crime scene images must be uploaded into a proprietary program, with no post-processing, therefore the desire for cleaner JPEGs.) The flicker reduction feature was an unexpected bonus, as it helps not only with the lighting aspect of exposure, but delivers images with more-consistent White Balance. (Much of my shooting occurs in mixed lighting, with one flickering source, and one or more non-flickering.) The better AF, including the ability to AF at EV -3 with f/2.8 lenses, was an expected bonus.

I have used neither version of the 100-400L, so will not comment upon the lenses, except to say that the Minimum Focusing Distance specification of the II, alone, makes it a no-brain-needed decision for much more of my shooting. Of course, sometimes a very good deal on a clean, pre-owned sample of a prior-generation lens makes it worth my consideration. I will, therefore, be following this thread for my own interest.

Jul 11, 2016 at 07:22 AM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.