New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Flash Sync Question - Nikon d750

rmp15

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Flash Sync Question - Nikon d750

Hi Everyone,

I have been trying to find how to set the flash sync speed with our d750 and SB-700. I have checked the manual and can't seem to find the answer (or perhaps it was there and I just didn't understand it. When we used to shoot Canon, we used the Mk3 and 600 flashes. I remember being able to lock the shutter speed at 200 if we wanted to make sure we could freeze the action when shooting wedding receptions. Since switching to the d750 I can't figure out how to do that. I set the sync speed at 1/200 but I notice that the camera will still choose variable shutter speeds depending on the scenario. Sometimes it will choose 1/60 and that can lead to some motion in the shot. Sometimes we like and use that creatively but there are times I would like to keep it at 1/200. We shoot in AV mode. Does anyone know of a way to do that? Am I missing something? Perhaps a setting on the flash or in camera? I do notice raising the ISO can also raise the shutter speed chosen by the camera, but I don't always want to keep it so high. Again not sure if I'm missing something. Thanks so much in advance for your help!

Rick

Jul 09, 2016 at 04:44 PM
cope07
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Flash Sync Question - Nikon d750

in A mode, there is a setting on camera (menu) that specifies the minimum shutter speed that the camera will use with flash. 1/60th is the faster optional (which IMO is a terrible option, because of the motion blur you mentioned). The only way I know to do what you're asking is shoot Manual or with potentially with Auto ISO and fine tuning its shutter speed bias

Jul 09, 2016 at 05:18 PM
Danny W.

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Flash Sync Question - Nikon d750

Use either Sp or Manual exposure mode.

Danny W

Jul 09, 2016 at 06:19 PM
mp0363
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Flash Sync Question - Nikon d750

Hmmm. Learning everyday but just took four aperture priority shots in ttl with my min shutter (set in iso) @ 1/500. I'll experiment some more to see if I can get it to go as low as you've experienced

Jul 09, 2016 at 07:21 PM
rmp15

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Flash Sync Question - Nikon d750

cope07 wrote:
in A mode, there is a setting on camera (menu) that specifies the minimum shutter speed that the camera will use with flash. 1/60th is the faster optional (which IMO is a terrible option, because of the motion blur you mentioned). The only way I know to do what you're asking is shoot Manual or with potentially with Auto ISO and fine tuning its shutter speed bias

Thanks. Yeah I agree, it can leave motion when it wasn't necessarily wanted. I may have to keep practicing with M and S priority modes. I seem to remember the Mk3 keeping the sync speed at 1/200 when setting it to that. The d750 sets it as the range for the sync speed and chooses based on situation. I will keep practicing with it. Thanks again!

Jul 09, 2016 at 08:52 PM
Elisha82
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Flash Sync Question - Nikon d750

If you're already shooting Av and want the flash to sync at 1/200, which is basically a shutter speed of 1/200.
The only variable here is your aperture since you want your flash to sync with your shutter at 1/200.
Just shoot M as suggested and only change your aperture dial.

Jul 09, 2016 at 10:58 PM
charlyw
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Flash Sync Question - Nikon d750

Elisha82 wrote:
If you're already shooting Av and want the flash to sync at 1/200, which is basically a shutter speed of 1/200.
The only variable here is your aperture since you want your flash to sync with your shutter at 1/200.
Just shoot M as suggested and only change your aperture dial.

Not quite - on the Canon the shortfall of light is made up dynamically by the flash... So there is no way of mimicking that sort of behabiour on the Nikon short of manually chosing shutter speed, aperture and flash strength for every shot individually...

Jul 10, 2016 at 03:23 AM
dugaut
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Flash Sync Question - Nikon d750

I think you can shoot in manual mode, auto ISO. You can limit what your camera chooses for ISO so it doesn't get too noisy.

I also think you can exposure compensate.

But as mentioned if you shoot in ETTL/ITTL the flash will compensate so then you could exposure compensate the flash or shoot in manual which might not work in changing lighting situations if you're having to move quickly.

Jul 10, 2016 at 03:56 AM
Elisha82
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Flash Sync Question - Nikon d750

What's this mode or setting called on the Canon? I shot with the 5D2 and 7D with the 580EX and never had an option to decouple shutter speed from flash sync with TTL.

charlyw wrote:
Not quite - on the Canon the shortfall of light is made up dynamically by the flash... So there is no way of mimicking that sort of behabiour on the Nikon short of manually chosing shutter speed, aperture and flash strength for every shot individually...

Jul 10, 2016 at 08:37 AM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Flash Sync Question - Nikon d750

D750 has a max sync speed of 1/200 second. Anything faster than that will leave black strips on the image.

Jul 10, 2016 at 12:13 PM
mp0363
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Flash Sync Question - Nikon d750

runamuck wrote:
D750 has a max sync speed of 1/200 second. Anything faster than that will leave black strips on the image.

maybe mine is special as it does HSS

i shoot aperture priority all the time with a +range set for shutter (min value at least 1/250 unless i go lower in manual mode for landscapes) and also dial in iso ranges that work based upon flash needs/available ambient light

this means i make the camera work for me and i can shoot quickly shot to shot. TTL with a speed light is great on Nikon (although I am learning more and more how to maximize ambient light with balancing flash power with iso)

Jul 10, 2016 at 01:54 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.