New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Flash Photography Advice

avi85

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Flash Photography Advice

Hi all,
I have Canon 5D MkII, been shooting landscapes and astro work mainly as a hobbyist.I'm a newbie when it comes to flash photography. I need to take some family portraits in the coming weeks.

I would like to take pictures with high-speed sync enabled.
Which flash do you guys recommend to buy? Are Yongnuo flashes any good? Do I need to buy a transmitter and receiver as well?

Also, I have an old SB-600 lying around, would it be possible to use that with my Canon 5D2?

Thanks in advance!

Jul 09, 2016 at 02:30 PM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Flash Photography Advice

I prefer off camera flash. Look at Phottix Odin and their flashes. It will do HSS. Why do you want to use it? If the ambient light is that high, it's usually during the time of day when light is ugly.

Jul 09, 2016 at 06:14 PM
BigIronCruiser
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Flash Photography Advice

The Cheetah V860X and Adorama Flashpoint R2 LiOn are re-branded Godox V860ii's; they're functionally the same except for the label. There are versions for Canon, Nikon and Sony. They support eTTL and Manual mode, but they also have built-in 2.4ghz transceivers that make it very easy to control remote V860X's. Transition to HSS is automatic above the x-sync speed of your 5D MkII. I have 4 of the Nikon versions. The recycle time with the LiOn batteries is impressive, and they last way longer than AA's.

Jul 09, 2016 at 07:57 PM
amci4
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Flash Photography Advice

The Flashpoint flashes are very reasonable at $100 a pop and the Yongnuo trigger / transceivers actually work very well (At least they do on my Nikon body).

Oh and is it safe to assume you're talking about Hypersync and not just High Speed Sync?

Jul 10, 2016 at 06:42 AM
CW100
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Flash Photography Advice

hard to go wrong with a used 430exII

Jul 10, 2016 at 05:03 PM
avi85

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Flash Photography Advice

amci4 wrote:
The Flashpoint flashes are very reasonable at $100 a pop and the Yongnuo trigger / transceivers actually work very well (At least they do on my Nikon body).

Oh and is it safe to assume you're talking about Hypersync and not just High Speed Sync?

Thank you guys for the inputs!

@amci4: Not sure about Hypersync any advantages to it? Also, does the flash in the below link suffice, I see that it has HSS capability.
http://www.adorama.com/fplfsmzlca.html

Saw a youtube video in which the host mentioned it can do HSS on-shoe but not off-camera. You mentioned you are using the Yongnuo trigger/transceivers, can you provide the model numbers?

Thanks

Jul 10, 2016 at 09:34 PM
amci4
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Flash Photography Advice

YN622 series with I-TTL. My strobe will only do 1:1500 though so it isn't as high as I would like it but it is pretty good considering. The triggers them self can trigger up to 1/8000.

The receivers come in pairs of two and the controller is separate.

avi85 wrote:

@amci4@: Not sure about Hypersync any advantages to it? Also, does the flash in the below link suffice, I see that it has HSS capability.

Saw a youtube video in which the host mentioned it can do HSS on-shoe but not off-camera. You mentioned you are using the Yongnuo trigger/transceivers, can you provide the model numbers?

Thanks

Jul 11, 2016 at 08:23 AM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Flash Photography Advice

avi85 wrote:
@amci4@: Not sure about Hypersync any advantages to it? Also, does the flash in the below link suffice, I see that it has HSS capability.

Thanks

Consider the Flashpoint uses a proprietary battery instead of AA's. Replacement batteries are $50.00.

Jul 11, 2016 at 08:58 AM
BigIronCruiser
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Flash Photography Advice

avi85 wrote:

Thanks

FYI - The Adorama link that you posted is for the non-R2 version. If you decide to go this route, you're much better off buying the R2 version. The R2 flashes have built-in 2.4GHz transceivers, and they're currently available for $149.95.

Jul 11, 2016 at 09:35 AM
AmbientMike
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Flash Photography Advice

Get something you can use off camera. I got an old 380EX with a cord. Some of the newer ones may go off when not connected to the camrra, and so don't need a cord.

Why do you plan on using high speed? This really lowers flash power, and there's other ways to stop action. The actual flash output doesn't last that long , so is like a fast ss, if the flash is providing the light.

Watch GN, guide number. 140 at 50mm zoom is a stop more than 100. Though my 380EX is 100.

Jul 11, 2016 at 12:55 PM
John Caldwell
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Flash Photography Advice

Someone new to flash work might consider making normal sync speeds work well, before moving to High Speed Sync. This is based on my own failings to move to an advanced, and sometimes wonky, technique before really understanding "normal" sync techniques. Why is high speed essential to this assignment?

John Caldwell

Jul 11, 2016 at 08:00 PM
amci4
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Flash Photography Advice

dmacmillan wrote:
Consider the Flashpoint uses a proprietary battery instead of AA's. Replacement batteries are $50.00.

Depends on the flash... The Li-Ions I'm sure are proprietary but they have a version that uses normal batteries.

Aug 11, 2016 at 11:33 AM
amci4
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Flash Photography Advice

BigIronCruiser wrote:
FYI - The Adorama link that you posted is for the non-R2 version. If you decide to go this route, you're much better off buying the R2 version. The R2 flashes have built-in 2.4GHz transceivers, and they're currently available for $149.95.

That's fine, I was just pointing them in the general direction.

I personally use Strobes myself as the smaller flashes are too weak for main studio lighting and Flash point has some nice strobes that can be used with battery packs and Hyper-Sync.

Aug 11, 2016 at 11:38 AM
amci4
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Flash Photography Advice

John Caldwell wrote:
Someone new to flash work might consider making normal sync speeds work well, before moving to High Speed Sync. This is based on my own failings to move to an advanced, and sometimes wonky, technique before really understanding "normal" sync techniques. Why is high speed essential to this assignment?

John Caldwell

Probably true but I would still buy Strobes capable of handling the higher speeds so you won't have to replace all your lighting once you're ready to move on.

Aug 11, 2016 at 11:41 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.