New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2016 · FD to E-mount adapter

wcj0
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · FD to E-mount adapter

Ok, so i finally sprung for a sony A7 camera that i purchased from a great seller Gary I on this website in order to use my supply of canon FD lenses which i have listed in another post here. Now i'm in the market for the FD to Emount adapters and found two with totally different prices. One from Metabones for $99 and one from FotodioX for $60. They both appear do do the same thing so before i spend an addition $30 between the both of them, i would appreciate any information for anyone who has tried or owns both or one of them so i know what to buy. This little venture into the old FD lens assortment is becoming a fairly expensive venture although i suppose if i can use the majority of the old lenses that i now own it's not to bad considering the selection. Thanks in advance, Jeff

Jul 09, 2016 at 01:31 PM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · FD to E-mount adapter

I bought the Fotasy FD/E-mount adapter for less. Works perfectly fine and is made of metal, too.

Jul 09, 2016 at 03:27 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · FD to E-mount adapter

Welcome to the world of adapters on your new Sony body!

I like the Ulata brand FD - NEX. Works great and less than $20 on eBay. I have a couple, one with blue ring, the other with red, to tell different lenses apart.
I also like K & F Concept brand -- very close fit, and again, under $20 on eBay. Both adapters take a week or two from China/HK.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-FD-FL-Lens-to-Sony-NEX-VG10-NEX-3-NEX-5-NEX-7-NEX-5C-NEX-C3-Adapter-FD-NEX-/191411670453?hash=item2c91064db5:g:IRwAAOSwdWBXOXZ7

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ULATA-Lens-Mount-Adapter-Canon-FD-to-Sony-E-FE-NEX-Mount-A7-NEX-6-FD-NEXBL-/282085229433?hash=item41ad970379:g:~9MAAOSwEK9Tv07d

Jul 09, 2016 at 03:53 PM
wcj0
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · FD to E-mount adapter

thank you very much retrofocus and Gunzorro, i will have to look into both of them, always appreciate the help people give on FM. It's a pleasure to belong to this group.

Jul 09, 2016 at 09:08 PM
Mike Ganz
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · FD to E-mount adapter

Gunzorro wrote:
Welcome to the world of adapters on your new Sony body!

I like the Ulata brand FD - NEX. Works great and less than $20 on eBay. I have a couple, one with blue ring, the other with red, to tell different lenses apart.
I also like K & F Concept brand -- very close fit, and again, under $20 on eBay. Both adapters take a week or two from China/HK.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-FD-FL-Lens-to-Sony-NEX-VG10-NEX-3-NEX-5-NEX-7-NEX-5C-NEX-C3-Adapter-FD-NEX-/191411670453?hash=item2c91064db5:g:IRwAAOSwdWBXOXZ7

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ULATA-Lens-Mount-Adapter-Canon-FD-to-Sony-E-FE-NEX-Mount-A7-NEX-6-FD-NEXBL-/282085229433?hash=item41ad970379:g:~9MAAOSwEK9Tv07d

I've been using the Novoflex adapter. But looking at the prices of those you linked, they're cheap enough to dedicate one to each lens. How is their performance with respect to infinity and hyperfocal distance?

Jul 10, 2016 at 11:50 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · FD to E-mount adapter

Mike Ganz wrote:
I've been using the Novoflex adapter. But looking at the prices of those you linked, they're cheap enough to dedicate one to each lens. How is their performance with respect to infinity and hyperfocal distance?

Surprisingly good! I recently did some head shots of my daughter using hand held manual focusing with Mamiya 645 150mm f/3.5 "N" lens wide open using two stacked adapters: Fotodiox Pro M645 to Nikon F, K&F Nikon F to Sony E. Shot wide open, the shots were fantastic and the mounts were solid, not loosey-goosey. Excellent plane of focus and no noticeable corner variation.

There's always a good chance of poor fit or bad copies, but these inexpensive adapters (as well and Fotga and others) are excellent choices for general use.

Jul 10, 2016 at 01:33 PM
artificialyello
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · FD to E-mount adapter

There is this compilation on adapters for Sony that I found searching for adapters for my EOS-M:

http://briansmith.com/gear/sony-lens-adapters/

Jul 10, 2016 at 03:37 PM
wcj0
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · FD to E-mount adapter

wow artificialyello, that is a great website with all of the information i needed, i really appreciate you taking the time to list it. Thanks again wcj0

Jul 10, 2016 at 06:18 PM
telyt
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · FD to E-mount adapter

Some adapters don't have a long enough aperture pin to work with lenses like the 500mm f/4.5 L. IIRC it was the Fotodiox adapter I had most trouble with, the Fotasy and Novoflex work well.

Jul 10, 2016 at 09:37 PM
artificialyello
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · FD to E-mount adapter

wcj0 wrote:
wow artificialyello, that is a great website with all of the information i needed, i really appreciate you taking the time to list it. Thanks again wcj0

You're welcome. I ended up using a dumb nobrand adapter for my FD 50/1.8 which make an excelent "85" on the EF-M stepped down to f4. I ad exif with a script.

Jul 10, 2016 at 11:58 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · FD to E-mount adapter

Mike Ganz wrote:

Sorry I forgot to respond to two of your other questions.

I only have two "smart" AF adapters for Canon EF to Sony E, one Commlite (works best) and on Fotodiox (fair AF), but many "dumb" adapters for EF, FD, Nikon F, Minolta MC/MD and M645.

1) Infinity is generally fine. I've only got two adapters that give me problems of perfect infinity -- very close, but not there wide open, but manage it at smaller aperture such as f/8. One is with the Samyang 14, of which I own two, on in Nikon mount that doesn't reach infinity on the Sony (but is fine on Nikon bodies) -- even my Canon version is right on the line on with a different adapter (obviously). Neither are anywhere near the focus ring distance scale, either on the Sony or on the native mount bodies.

2) As mentioned above, distance scales on Alt lenses mounted on Sony can not be relied on for accuracy. With so many independent manufacturers of adapters, there is certainly some variation in register distance, and even fit of the bayonet lugs. The only way to be completely confident of focus depth and accuracy is to view stopped down in viewfinder or rear LCD.

Considering that I've owned at least 20 adapters for MFT and the Sony E mount, I'm very happy with the success rate of the inexpensive to moderately priced adapters I've used. I estimate around 5-8% don't fit quite right among them. But from reports I've read here, that applies even to some of the top names having problems.

Perhaps other people can add their experiences with the cheap "dumb" adapters.

Jul 11, 2016 at 08:53 AM
mqqse
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · FD to E-mount adapter

Slightly related, will the Fd use the same as the Fdn when it comes to using adapters?

Jul 31, 2016 at 11:41 PM
Kingfishphoto
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · FD to E-mount adapter

mqqse wrote:
Slightly related, will the Fd use the same as the Fdn when it comes to using adapters?

Hi.
The answer is yes, also FL lenses.

Aug 01, 2016 at 12:35 AM
dickb
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · FD to E-mount adapter

There is a small difference in design between the more affordable adapters and the Novoflex. Most have a ring to open or close the aperture, the Novoflex has a fixed construction which results in a very sturdy fit but can you have to take a little more care when switching lenses. On adapters with an aperture closing ring it is easy to forget to close the aperture correctly.

I also have found the K & F concept adapters to be a good and tightly fitting adaoter, if you are looking for a reasonably priced one.

Aug 01, 2016 at 06:12 AM
wcj0
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · FD to E-mount adapter

actually just had a problem with a Fotodiox Nikon F mount to EOS mount adapter. once on the lens, the fit was so tight it me about an hour of playing around with it in order to get it back off. That's after the release pin was releasing the lens. I called Fotodiox and explained the problem to them and they mailed me a brand new one without any hassles. This one works perfectly. I also asked them to try it on a nikon lens before sending it to me just to make sure it worked.

Aug 01, 2016 at 08:08 AM
Dpedraza
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · FD to E-mount adapter

I use the fotasy FD to NEX. Works fine just make sure you check the lock feature if you don't might shoot wide open when you think you're shooting stopped down.

Aug 01, 2016 at 08:17 AM
mqqse
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · FD to E-mount adapter

Thabk you

Aug 01, 2016 at 08:31 AM
garyvot
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · FD to E-mount adapter

mqqse wrote:

You question was already answered, but I'll add that FD and FDn lenses were functionally identical from the perspective of the camera; Canon just made its famous "breech lock" mechanism internal to the lens body, and added a lock, rather than friction mechanism, for securing the lens. (So in operation it worked like the bayonet mounts on other brands.)

FWIW, long-time FD users often felt the "new" mount was less secure because the lens could rotate very slightly while seated on the camera, and there was more plastic in the lens barrel, but in practice I found it worked fine.

Forgive me if you already know this...

Aug 01, 2016 at 11:17 AM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · FD to E-mount adapter

garyvot wrote:
You question was already answered, but I'll add that FD and FDn lenses were functionally identical from the perspective of the camera; Canon just made its famous "breech lock" mechanism internal to the lens body, and added a lock, rather than friction mechanism, for securing the lens. (So in operation it worked like the bayonet mounts on other brands.)

FWIW, long-time FD users often felt the "new" mount was less secure because the lens could rotate very slightly while seated on the camera, and there was more plastic in the lens barrel, but in practice I found it worked fine.

Forgive
...Show more

Still love the old metallic ones....Just pushing the red button of the metal bayonet ring onto the red lens attachment lock button on the camera lens mount, and the mount ring automatically rotated and locked the lens on the camera.

Aug 01, 2016 at 05:42 PM
mqqse
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · FD to E-mount adapter

So breech lock lenses will require a different adapter than the fd mounts?

Aug 03, 2016 at 10:29 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.