New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Help with older Pro7B/ProB2r packs

PatNad

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Help with older Pro7B/ProB2r packs

I recently purchased a used ProB2R kit for a great price. According to the sticker, one battery was recelled in 2012, and the other one that came with probably never have been and have a 2011 date on it, so both battery are pretty old and since this was a used kit available for a while, the batteries probably sat on the shelf a fair amount of time.

I went to my local battery store, and swapped the SLA for a new one, the original is a 12v12Ah, and the guy suggested me a 12v14Ah. I asked him if that would work and he told me it will just last longer.

I didnt test the 2011 battery, but theres something not right about my testing my the 2 batteries:

The 2012 SLA will last around 100 full power pop (normal recycle, not fast mode).

The new, apparently better, last exactly the same?

The pack with a brand new 12 12 battery should last 200 pop @ full power, maybe the problem is not on the battery side? I dont want to replace them with Lion battery, I actually like the heavy weight of this pack when hooked on my stands.

Jul 09, 2016 at 09:43 AM
zurkzees
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Help with older Pro7B/ProB2r packs

It's the battery. I've tried doing the same by going to a local battery store for a replacement and it doesn't last
as long the one from profoto or one of their repair center.

I suggest contacting Silvino’s Pro Flash Rx in Los Angeles. He can send you a replacement battery that is
compatible or send yours in and he can do all the work.

Jul 11, 2016 at 10:15 AM
PatNad

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Help with older Pro7B/ProB2r packs

Turns out that new 14 ah battery takes MUCH longer to charge, i called the guy who did the job and told me it could take as much as 10hours to fully chRge this one, will report back!

The battery took a good 10hours or so to charge, and the charger went into trickle. The battery meter on the pack is really not precise, and I assumed that if the top green light is lit, the battery is full and this is wrong. I had little time to test this out, and so far after 50 full power pop the its still on the second green light, where the old battery (and my half charged new one) went yellow already at this stage, so cant wait to see how much it will last.

Jul 11, 2016 at 10:30 AM
Conner999
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Help with older Pro7B/ProB2r packs

I tend to find many battery level indicators, incl. Profoto ones on AcuteBs, B1/B2 tend to be imprecise and pessimistic. They typically drop one 'step' quickly then sit there. Part of issue is that many level indicators aren't 'granular' enough. A minute voltage drop takes them down one of say 3 'steps' which to us comes across as only 2/3rds 'full'.

If you replace the OEM battery with an aftermarket (as we did with the AcuteBs), especially so. I just shoot until it dies.

Jul 12, 2016 at 07:11 AM
PatNad

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Help with older Pro7B/ProB2r packs

Did some more testing yesterday, the red light only came at 100 pop. I expect it to last a solid 150. I probably never will need 150 pop @ 1200, but at least I know it can. I agree about the B1 level, its their biggest flaw IMO. I have a few of them and really love these unit, but I would like a 1/4 meter, not 1/3.

I also discovered that theres now a shop in montreal doing profoto repairs since about a year wich im really happy to learn! There was nothing in quebec before. I asked them if they could repair my pack of anything and they still have access to 7b2 parts wich is pretty awesome.

I got this pack very cheap and wouldnt mind investing a grand for making it last another 5years (swapping the caps is at least $1k cnd)

I seriously love this pack, having so much power outside is amazing, and I refuse to spent $10k cnd for a proB4. (and totally not interested into the 250w B2)

Jul 12, 2016 at 07:18 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.