FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · The Fullness of Mirror Lake

dswiger
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · The Fullness of Mirror Lake

Visited Yosemite a few weeks back as I heard Mirror Lake was full & living up to its name
Here are a few from that hike. This is from a mid-morning visit, maybe 8:30.AM
Hindsight tells me that I should have began the hike before sunrise to get better light.... next time.

This were shot on Portra 160, but metered at 100.
It handled the contrast well but the colors are not quite up to what I'm used to on Ektar.

Worked on getting the colors right but I'm sure someone will tell me if they are off

Up front I will point out the obvious flaw here, the centered tree.
I had set up around to the right, but groups of people kept getting in the frame.
Kept trying to re-compose but ended up dead center
The reflection sure was nice though.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7318/28109201121_3293462edb_b.jpg

Comment & Critque appreciated

Thanks
Dan

Edited on Jul 09, 2016 at 04:48 PM · View previous versions

Jul 09, 2016 at 01:21 AM
wlpelzmann
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · The Fullness of Mirror Lake

In #2, the magenta color cast in the foreground really stands out in the brush strokes at the tree line. Did you upload the wrong image?

Jul 09, 2016 at 03:52 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · The Fullness of Mirror Lake

Hey Dan,

#1 is a nice view, maybe a bit too bright in the lit rock areas, but a nice view. I see you pulled #2 but when I looked at it earlier, there was magenta in the ground layer, but the biggest issue with it was there were lots of gaps and holes in your layer mask, so magenta was showing in spots on the rocks.

It sure is nice to see Mirror Lake with water in it again. When it was drying up I was afraid that it was going to be permanent and it was just part of the process where it turned into a meadow. Glad that wasn't the case and it was only from the drought.

Jim

Jul 09, 2016 at 10:35 PM
claudefiddler
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · The Fullness of Mirror Lake

Dan

Dan

How do you like to make pictures? Walk until inspired. Explore before hand.....?

What's your experience photographing in Yosemite? How many trips, time of year. How did you explore Mirror Lake? What attracted you to this composition, light? Can you imagine the scene some other way. For example with clouds in the sky and reflection. Fall color. Overcast but bright light.

What camera and lens do you use? I understand using Portra film for the flat tone scale.

A good critique will be better if you have thought about the what and why of your photographs.

Jul 10, 2016 at 07:53 AM
dswiger
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · The Fullness of Mirror Lake

wlpelzmann wrote:
In #2, the magenta color cast in the foreground really stands out in the brush strokes at the tree line. Did you upload the wrong image?

Yes, your eyes saw what mine missed. Color vision thing I'm struggling with. Thanks for the comment.

---------------------------------------------

AmberFne wrote:
both photos are fantastic!

Thanks

JimFox wrote:
Hey Dan,

#1 is a nice view, maybe a bit too bright in the lit rock areas, but a nice view. I see you pulled #2 but when I looked at it earlier, there was magenta in the ground layer, but the biggest issue with it was there were lots of gaps and holes in your layer mask, so magenta was showing in spots on the rocks.

It sure is nice to see Mirror Lake with water in it again. When it was drying up I was afraid that it was going to be permanent and it was just part of the
...Show more

As you noted in #1, rocks a bit bright. An earlier visit is in order next time

As I mentioned to you, pulled the 2nd for what now is the obvious.

Jul 10, 2016 at 04:40 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.