New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Movie wants to use my work

Vcize
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Movie wants to use my work

I received an email today from someone a PA of the art department of a film that saw my photography booth at a recent arts festival.

They say they are interested in using my work to decorate a few of the rooms/sets for the movie they are working on.

As this is the first request like this I've ever received I'm kind of out on an island here. I looked up information on the movie. It does feature several well known actors in supporting roles (the lead actor and director are both new), but appears to be a pretty low budget independent film. From the tone of the email it did not seem like they were interested in paying (instead promising to show my "label" in the film and credit me in the credits), though they did not say specifically.

Anyone ever had anything like this before? Do these films typically have a budget for this kind of stuff or do they expect to trade for screen time? I have to admit the novelty of having my stuff in a movie is appealing and the unlikely scenario of the movie becoming some film festival darling is as well, but I want to make sure I'm not being taken advantage of.

Jul 09, 2016 at 12:53 AM
c.d.embrey
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Movie wants to use my work

I'm retired IATSE http://iatse.net/about-iatse . I've worked both high budget studio features, and in the beginning a lot of low-budget non-union independents. Taking-advantage-of is Standard Operating Procedure for both high and low budget films.

Many, if not most, independents get NO theatrical distribution. They go straight to video.

What you will get is your name in a long list of Thank You s at the end of the credits. By the time your name is racing by on the screen, the theater will be almost empty.

If you want to have something to tell the grandkids, go ahead and do it. They will have insurance, so you will need to have a value to each of the photos. Chances are good that there will be NO damage.

Jul 09, 2016 at 05:19 PM
thebmrust
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Movie wants to use my work

Initially, I would say "pass" but maybe negotiate a trade for two movie posters signed by all the lead actors, director, screen writer & producer.

Keep one and sell the other if anyone gets famous.

Jul 09, 2016 at 11:02 PM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.