New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · sunrise, monument valley

kevindar
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · sunrise, monument valley

I cant quite figure out if I can get the right tones and contrast out of this sunrise shot of monument valley
but here it is.

Monument Sunrise, black and white by kevindar, on Flickr

Jul 08, 2016 at 10:30 PM
DaleBerlin
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · sunrise, monument valley

I think it looks very good and much better than the color version I see on Flickr. Not that the color version is bad, it's just funny how some images look totally different in B&W. I like your composition with the dead tree in the forground. Nice job.

Jul 09, 2016 at 08:07 AM
JR Photo
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · sunrise, monument valley

Great composition and it does look wonderful in B/W.

Can you share tech stuff lens settings?

J. R.

Jul 09, 2016 at 08:26 AM
santos
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · sunrise, monument valley

I like the sun star and how the low angled light affects the foreground, painting it with warmth, delicate shadows and fine texture. I would expect however, since they are backlit, the buttes to appear somewhat darker.

santiago

Jul 09, 2016 at 08:40 AM
DougVaughn
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · sunrise, monument valley

I like it and agree the composition is well done.

Jul 09, 2016 at 09:30 AM
kevindar
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · sunrise, monument valley

JR Photo wrote:
Great composition and it does look wonderful in B/W.

Can you share tech stuff lens settings?

J. R.

of course
Sony A7r, Canon 24-70II, 24mm f11, 1/25 sec, iso 100. cropped 15% from the top, and a little from left side
Processed entirely in Lightroom with exposure adjustment, and addtionally a gradient from the sky to decrease the highlights some. converted via nick silver effec pro. dont recal what preset I used, but then reimported in to lightroom and made some further exposure adjustments, and added a temp of +5 to warm it up a little.

Hope that helps.

Jul 09, 2016 at 12:20 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · sunrise, monument valley

Interesting capture. I like the processing.
But it's an odd image as well.
The key elements all feel similar in size (at least in the space they occupy in the frame):
weathered wood
trees
buttes
sun with rays

Scott

Jul 10, 2016 at 08:38 PM
kevindar
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · sunrise, monument valley

Interesting observation Scott. I am not sure if thats inherently good or bad, but certainly the case.

Jul 10, 2016 at 10:28 PM
GoodEgg
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · sunrise, monument valley

I also don't know what it means to the image, that the tree to the right of The Mittens is the same apparent size as the buttes. It took several viewings before I could shake my first impression of this image as a miniature. Every time I scroll up to look at the image, I like it more. I wish it was in my portfolio. I admire you for getting out there at dark:30 to be ready for the sun to come up (love the rays).

I like the sunrise colors in the version on Flickr but in this b/w you have brought out details in the shadows pretty well.

I'd try dialing in -20 Brightness and +20 Contrast in Photoshop. Lowering the brightness will let all the sunburst's rays show (as is, on my calibrated monitor, the rays emanating 'up' are lost in the bright sky. Raising the contrast enhances the shadows and edges.

I've never seen The Mittens from this direction or in such a composition. Kudos.

Jul 11, 2016 at 01:05 AM
kevindar
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · sunrise, monument valley

thanks so much good goodegg. I will try. I need to do the conversion through lightroom. I do agree the sky is a bit too blown.

Jul 11, 2016 at 02:25 PM

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.