FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Milky Way in Indiana

BertoBuckeye
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Milky Way in Indiana

East cost still has some dark areas. Here are a few of my recent captures to share for C&C.

Thanks in advance.

Jul 08, 2016 at 07:47 PM
psharvic
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Milky Way in Indiana

Nice work on these, Berto.

Jul 08, 2016 at 09:28 PM
OregonSun
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Milky Way in Indiana

Really nice set, not usually a big fan of milky way shots but these are very tastefully done. #1 looks like it could be one of the covered bridges here in Oregon. Funny, I don't think of Indiana as the East coast (I would of said Midwest), is that how the locals there think of it?

Heron

Jul 08, 2016 at 10:41 PM
DeweyB1

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Milky Way in Indiana

These are fantastic. I love the one taken at Cataract Falls.

Jul 09, 2016 at 09:44 AM
DaleBerlin
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Milky Way in Indiana

Great shots and very original! Nice job, #2 is my fav.

Jul 09, 2016 at 12:36 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Milky Way in Indiana

These are nice shots that work well due to the nice foregrounds.
I think #3 might be even better if you set up in front of the fence.
The color balance is a bit uneven across the set. #1 is a bit purple, #2 is a bit green, #3 is quite blue but I like it a lot.
Very nice photos.

David

Jul 09, 2016 at 12:48 PM
TimothyJinx

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Milky Way in Indiana

These are really nice. All great but I particularly like #3. Maybe because I love red barns. Where in Indiana did you take these? I'm in Kentucky and I've thought about making the hour drive up to Hoosier National Forest to try some Milky Way shots.

Jul 09, 2016 at 04:54 PM
BertoBuckeye
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Milky Way in Indiana

OregonSun wrote:
Really nice set, not usually a big fan of milky way shots but these are very tastefully done. #1 looks like it could be one of the covered bridges here in Oregon. Funny, I don't think of Indiana as the East coast (I would of said Midwest), is that how the locals there think of it?

Heron

Depends who you ask. We're on the edge of eastern time zone. What I was really meaning by it is if you look on a light pollution map most of the east side of the country looks really bad. It really probably is the Midwest.
---------------------------------------------

dgdg wrote:
These are nice shots that work well due to the nice foregrounds.
I think #3 might be even better if you set up in front of the fence.
The color balance is a bit uneven across the set. #1 is a bit purple, #2 is a bit green, #3 is quite blue but I like it a lot.
Very nice photos.

David

I really used to struggle with this (and still do to a degree). After conferring with some other astrophotographers because I wanted to try to get my skies to look consistent. Feedback i got was that skies just have different shades of night. Just like not all skies are the same blue. Also depends a lot on what part of twilight you're in. But i'd be willing to hear otherwise from a development standpoint. Would forcing the camera to a specific white balance change that?

TimothyJinx wrote:
These are really nice. All great but I particularly like #3. Maybe because I love red barns. Where in Indiana did you take these? I'm in Kentucky and I've thought about making the hour drive up to Hoosier National Forest to try some Milky Way shots.

The red barn is just a few miles south of Nashville Indiana, on State route 46. The covered bridge is just north of Nashville, IN. Cataract Falls is north a ways, near Cloverdale, IN.

Thanks all for the feedback!

Jul 09, 2016 at 07:02 PM
Tuan Le
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Milky Way in Indiana

Very nice series. The second is my favorite, though I would try to tone down the highlights on the right side from the artificial light source. Maybe a crop of the left side to remove that lit up rock face would be good too.

Jul 09, 2016 at 07:24 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Milky Way in Indiana

A truly dark, unpolluted night sky will be blue. All of your's are blue, with subtle differences (more purple, more green, etc) only appreciated when put side by side.

Definitely things like air glow, city glow, aurora, zodiacal light, clouds, lightening, and twilight can affect sky color. I suspect that most milky shots will be captured between astronomical twilight times.

I found using a Photoshop 3x3 pixel color picker and the info tab the most consistent and objective way to determine the sky color.
That being said, I think the sky color is highly subjective for the photographer and viewer. Unless it is a non blue color, it is artistic license.

It was just a little nit though. Please don't take it as anything more.

Great shots, all of them.

David

Jul 09, 2016 at 09:48 PM
BertoBuckeye
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Milky Way in Indiana

Tuan Le wrote:
Very nice series. The second is my favorite, though I would try to tone down the highlights on the right side from the artificial light source. Maybe a crop of the left side to remove that lit up rock face would be good too.

Thanks for pointing that out. I had noticed it but I really should have managed that a bit better. I like the water run off from the falls so I knocked down those highlights quite a bit. On the left that is dry vs wet rock not a highlight, regardless it is distracting.

dgdg wrote:
A truly dark, unpolluted night sky will be blue. All of your's are blue, with subtle differences (more purple, more green, etc) only appreciated when put side by side.

Definitely things like air glow, city glow, aurora, zodiacal light, clouds, lightening, and twilight can affect sky color. I suspect that most milky shots will be captured between astronomical twilight times.

I found using a Photoshop 3x3 pixel color picker and the info tab the most consistent and objective way to determine the sky color.
That being said, I think the sky color is highly subjective for the photographer and viewer. Unless it is
...Show more

No problem, I really do welcome the feedback. It is very difficult to get a good match, specially when you have them lined up one after the other for easy comparison. I do have some shots from Utah with some nice dark skies. I went ahead and took out some of the blue an darkened the sky a bit, it does look better I must admit.

Jul 09, 2016 at 10:53 PM
Brad Williams
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Milky Way in Indiana

Nice set of photos Berto. The second one is my favorite.

Jul 11, 2016 at 11:19 AM
bill s
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Milky Way in Indiana

Love the waterfalls.

Aug 03, 2016 at 03:39 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.