FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · 2nd Beach in Color

JimFox
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 2nd Beach in Color

Here is the color version I was working with from 2nd Beach in the Olympic Peninsula that many of you requested to see. After looking at these, I am sure you will understand why I went to B&W. https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1433546/0

It was crazy color that spilled over everything, I tried reigning it back, but still it never quite seemed to work for me. Part of it was the faces of the sea stacks, I didn't quite care for how they looked, but if I desaturated them more, or brightened them more it just felt unnatural. Now the sun was rising behind me, so technically they could be brighter I guess since they would receiving some light from the sun, but the sun was behind clouds that's why there is no direct light on the scene.

Anyway, the first one was my first version I processed, the second one is one where I removed some of the yellow and color from the sand and touched up the rock faces just a bit too if I recall.

I would love for this color to work, if anyone has any idea's have at it, feel free to touch up the color version and repost here. Maybe one of you can help me get this one on the right track?

All comments are welcome,

Jim

Jul 08, 2016 at 03:15 PM
Brad Williams
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 2nd Beach in Color

I think they look nice Jim. Seems like I always see shots like this were the sea stacks are silhouetted, this is a nice change of pace.

Jul 08, 2016 at 03:28 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 2nd Beach in Color

Brad Williams wrote:
I think they look nice Jim. Seems like I always see shots like this were the sea stacks are silhouetted, this is a nice change of pace.

Thanks Brad. I am glad you like the color. Maybe I am just being too tough on the color version?

I appreciate your thoughts.

Jim

Jul 08, 2016 at 03:42 PM
psharvic
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 2nd Beach in Color

Jim, I've never felt qualified to judge the quality of work that you and others present here but I think you are pretty tough on yourself. I like both but would pick the 1st because of the greater contrast.

Jul 08, 2016 at 04:03 PM
Tom Nevesely
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 2nd Beach in Color

Hi Jim, the composition in this image is awesome but you are right that it doesn't quite feel right. For me (like you said), it's the yellow in the sea stacks against the orangish/pinkish sky that doesn't quite work...

I tried playing with the file and came up with this but I'm not sure it's any better. I used Nik ColorEfex Pro - Briliance/Warmth to cool down the rock faces (using layer masks)...

http://tnphoto.ca/temp/2016/1323267.jpg

Jul 08, 2016 at 04:32 PM
Dave Dillemuth
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 2nd Beach in Color

Jim,
I think you are being a bit hard on yourself - this is a strong image in color as well. I actually prefer the first version. The stack does seem too warm too bright. Have you simply tried burning it down and playing with the color temp?

Jul 08, 2016 at 05:35 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 2nd Beach in Color

Tom Nevesely wrote:

Hi Jim, the composition in this image is awesome but you are right that it doesn't quite feel right. For me (like you said), it's the yellow in the sea stacks against the orangish/pinkish sky that doesn't quite work...

I tried playing with the file and came up with this but I'm not sure it's any better. I used Nik ColorEfex Pro - Briliance/Warmth to cool down the rock faces (using layer masks)...

http://tnphoto.ca/temp/2016/1323267.jpg

Hey Tom, thanks for the work up here. This is certainly an idea with it being a bit cooler.Its nice seeing a different take.

Jim

Jul 08, 2016 at 08:28 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 2nd Beach in Color

Dave Dillemuth wrote:
Jim,
I think you are being a bit hard on yourself - this is a strong image in color as well. I actually prefer the first version. The stack does seem too warm too bright. Have you simply tried burning it down and playing with the color temp?

Hey Dave, thanks for the encouraging words. Yes I tried isolating just the sea stacks and adjusting the WB, brightness, contrast, etc. Just couldn't get them to what I thought looked and felt natural enough.

Jim

Jul 08, 2016 at 09:02 PM
OregonSun
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 2nd Beach in Color

Interesting conundrum you've got here Jim, the colors of the sunset were so wild they look "unnatural". I'd be curious to see the SOOC file. You might also cross post this to the Photo Critique forum, the regulars over there always give good feedback.

Heron

Jul 08, 2016 at 09:08 PM
dswiger
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 2nd Beach in Color

Jim, I too like the 1st one & agree with Dave's suggestion.
I think it's closer than you think BUT we should be our own worst critique

Dan

Jul 09, 2016 at 01:48 AM
wbrad
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 2nd Beach in Color

I really like the first image Jim, I don't have any real issues with the colour, in fact I think it does look quite natural. Given the wild colour of the sky, it's to be expected that the rest of the scene will take on those colours.

Wayne

Jul 09, 2016 at 10:06 AM
DaleBerlin
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 2nd Beach in Color

Boy, you sure did catch some great colors here Jim. Who am I to judge, but the "Color Efex Pro"/"Pro Contrast"/"Correct Color Cast" slider seems to subtly tame the colors in this image. Give it a try if you like, but either way you have a beautiful capture here.

Jul 09, 2016 at 12:32 PM
Tuan Le
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 2nd Beach in Color

Looks pretty nice to me Jim, though your B&W version is really compelling. I might try to tone done the blue saturation since it looks a little strong to me.

Jul 09, 2016 at 07:49 PM
claudefiddler
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 2nd Beach in Color

Jim

The brighter more open rendering for me makes the picture feel closer to what one would see if they were there. The shadows aren't going toward black. The stack is leaning back and right side seems stretched at the part of the frame, but the rest of the background does not have the stretched out wide angle look. Which I don't like in photos.

Just the right amount of blur in the foam. The little line of foam has to be there on the right side of the frame or that becomes an area with nothing going on which contrasts with an image that has stuff going on every where else. If that were not there the photo would lose balance.

Symmetry is well done. Just the right amount of room on every side of the photo. Imagine a millimeter less on the right side.

Where are the footprints? Haha!

Jul 10, 2016 at 09:52 AM
tidalwdave

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 2nd Beach in Color

I had the same issue with the shots I took. I'm the guy that was shooting here when you came up and planted your tripod right next to mine. I was shooting long exposures. I have several versions of this since the color changed by the second. It was one of the most unique sunrises for sure....

Jul 10, 2016 at 02:12 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.