Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · My First Time Wedding!!! Need your Help with some questions I have.

Docfilmer19

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · My First Time Wedding!!! Need your Help with some questions I have.

Hey everyone,

super excited yet super nervous for my first wedding gig happening right outside the Vail, CO area this September. It's not something I really plan on persuing for I am a filmmaker who loves video production but my friends sister is looking for a discounted photographer to just get good images of their big day and although I know I can do this I just wanted a little help from this fine community...

1) As i don't have the "right" camera i'm acquiring a 5Dmkiii from my company and probably renting glass from somewhere if not buying a lens at least and renting the rest. Suggestions on the particular glass? I imagine the fastest lens I can for the late night shootings/ reception?

2) I wont have the big fancy flashes but do you think buying a speedlite (canon speedlite 550ex, etc...) and getting to know it is the best option (remember, doing this on budget and can afford some stuff but also not charging a whole lot).

3) What is going to be the absolute moments or any other moments that you have particularly gotten that were a surprise that they just fully adored? (i.e. maybe while they were laughing with one another out back after the wedding? or bride giving the mother a hug?)

4) Best ways to practice? I'm going to use my gf in different light settings around my area in the Tetons with sunsets etc to simulate the scenery of the actual wedding... I'm up for any other things I need to take in account for this wedding that is happening in September so I can do this and knock it out of the park.

Thanks so much for whoever does respond to this forum.

Jul 08, 2016 at 11:28 AM
formula4speed
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · My First Time Wedding!!! Need your Help with some questions I have.

Have you checked out the FAQ yet? Lots of really good information in it here:
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1247542

Jul 08, 2016 at 12:37 PM
leethecam
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · My First Time Wedding!!! Need your Help with some questions I have.

Ok, first up... this is probably not going to go well - unless you're lucky or expectations are low.

With questions about what glass and remarking that you'll "get to know" the speedlight suggests that you are not ready for this even if it was a freebee - but you intend to charge...!

As you are charging, do you have full public liabilty insurance. If not, be prepared to say good bye to a good portion of your wealth should someone have an accident atributable to you.

It has taken me years to master the art of flash / ambient light balance. 2 months practice isn't going to get you there. Auto and ETTL isn't going to cut it.

Those simple little moments you've seen other photographers capture - those intimate moments that last only a second, those fleeting seconds... turns out they're not simple. Indeed, these are the hardest to capture.

You'll need more than the one 5D3 that you are borrowing. 2 is a minimum - eother for speed or to have one as a spare.

You'll need possibly 2-3 lenses. I wouldn't attempt an event without a 24-70 and 70-200 F2.8, and maybe a 35L 1.4 Don't forget, all these lenses need to be calibrated to both bodies or you can find your focus isn't what it should be.

And you'll need to have 2 speedlights. 1 as a backup. (And gels to match ambient colour).

Make sure you have a calibrated monitor and a colour managed workflow.

If this is a last minute booking, I'd suggest you go back and not accept the job. We all have our first weddings and we're all a little green when we start - but your opening questions suggest your hopes exceed your current experience.

But if you are intent on doing this, or if they booked you ages ago and they can't get a pro, then DON"T accept money. The second you take money you are liable, legally. You're liable ethically either way - but at least not charging doesn't carry the legal requirement to deliver pro results.

Now this has all sounded harsh, and I've been as kind as I can. To take on a wedding without knowing what lenses to use, with no experience of flash, and to ask how to practice... these are the signs that you are running before you can walk.

Jul 08, 2016 at 12:40 PM
heikoM
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · My First Time Wedding!!! Need your Help with some questions I have.

"Hi, guys, I just got my driving licence. I can borrow the car from my uncle. In 4 weeks there is a car race. What do you racers in particular that you drive so fast that you win? How do I drive fast in the corners? When I practice in my backyard I am sure I can make it to the top 3 places."

Donīt get me wrong, just wanted to be a bit funny here. No harm intended. But seriously, it seems you have no idea what you are up to.

Now without jokes: Donīt charge. Say you do as good as you can and that they should not expect pro results and that you canīt promise anything.

Get a good body with decent AF, one lens, 35 or 50. Nikon is here better then Canon as you can get your strong underexposed images in front of windows back to normal without loosing too much.

Set you camera on full auto (P for professional) and shoot the hell out of every situation. Make 4000 plus images that day. When it gets dark or the light is ugly indoors put on a speed light and bounce in auto-mode (read a tutorial what is important here).

In short: Spray and pray! You probably will get some nice images. Good luck.

heiko

Jul 08, 2016 at 01:20 PM
Paulthelefty
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · My First Time Wedding!!! Need your Help with some questions I have.

Um, yeah... You are going to get flamed really hard. Put on your fire suit and get ready! :-)

Paul

Jul 08, 2016 at 01:32 PM
BigIronCruiser
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · My First Time Wedding!!! Need your Help with some questions I have.

leethecam wrote:
As you are charging, do you have full public liabilty insurance. If not, be prepared to say good bye to a good portion of your wealth should someone have an accident atributable to you.

Liability has a very long arm. When somebody trips over your gear and breaks a leg, I don't think they'll care whether or not your getting paid.

Jul 08, 2016 at 09:09 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · My First Time Wedding!!! Need your Help with some questions I have.

Your questions imply you haven't done much research on your own. Read the two sticky threads at the top of the section and come back with any specific questions. I don't mean to sound like a dick, but the info is there, please do your part and read. I'm happy to help if you have a specific question that you're not able to find an answer for.

Jul 08, 2016 at 11:46 PM
leethecam
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · My First Time Wedding!!! Need your Help with some questions I have.

You're right of course. If you're doing it professionally it's definately going to be expensive. If there's no payment then the chances of a successful case against the 'tog are smaller.

In the UK we're starting to get as letigious as the US. Before long we'll be sueing each other for looking at someone the wrong way.

Jul 09, 2016 at 02:23 AM
Depth of Feel
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · My First Time Wedding!!! Need your Help with some questions I have.

With your experience assisting is a good idea, but these days that's really hard to do. Shooting a friend's wedding with your level of experience is a good way to put a mark on your relationship with them for good or ill based on their reaction to your pictures. Since they've agreed to pay you and you've decided to charge I think there is some naivete on both parties. Most clients are completely ignorant of the skill level and competence necessary to consistently create the type of photography that has become ubiquitous on sites like pinterest. They've probably seen your video work and have been impressed with your creativity, and if you were making a video instead of photography I think you'd be prepared well enough. Conditions change fast and furiously at a wedding and mediocrity in this realm just means properly exposed snapshots of of the whole day. People unconsciously expect epic drama, story driven emotional content, and artistic whimsy from wedding photography and doing that well takes technical mastery, people skills, and time management in a chaotic environment. Frankly it will be a challenge to make "art" until you've dipped your toe in a couple times.

Eh, screw it. Make sure the bride has ZERO expectations of what you get and that she will be emotionaly ok if the worst happens and you have nothing to show for your efforts. As long as that's ok then go for it. Because there is no good reason to risk a friendship over this.

Rent a 135 f2 and a 24-70 f.28 lens. Rent a flash. Bring twice the batteries and 3 times the cards you think you will need. Rent a back up camera. During the reception bounce your flash off walls over your shoulder. Set the flash in ettl or ittl mode. Your iso somewhere between 800-1600 depending on how much ambient light you want. Set your shutter some where between 1/50 and 1/200. Fire away. Double the amount of time you think you will need for every portion of the day. Expect that no one will be dressed and ready when you expect them too. Be prepared for endless requests from the moms. Shoot in raw. Try to deliver the photos with in a year.

Edited on Jul 09, 2016 at 02:30 AM · View previous versions

Jul 09, 2016 at 02:28 AM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · My First Time Wedding!!! Need your Help with some questions I have.

Lee, much as I love you and your work, it's spelled litigious - King's English or not. Spell it wrong again and I'll sue you.

Have a nice day.

Jul 09, 2016 at 02:29 AM
leethecam
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · My First Time Wedding!!! Need your Help with some questions I have.

I live or die by spell-check (or is that spell check, or spellcheck...?)

My Mac clearly isn't helping me any more.

Cheque is in the post...

Jul 09, 2016 at 02:34 AM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · My First Time Wedding!!! Need your Help with some questions I have.

I'll tell you what...have them hire me and you can enjoy the wedding as a guest...
I would even get an assistant for you at the wedding. Their only job would be to bring you drinks all day long. No joke.
Seriously though...Vail is one of the hardest places to shoot in in Colorado because of where it is located in the valley. Lighting is really really challenging pretty much all day. I have been shooting for 10+ years and I even want to punch little children when we have to shoot there because it is so difficult.

My best advice is to not take any money and make sure they have 0 expectations. Depending on where you are shooting you may also have to get permits...CO loves their photography permits.
So be sure to check that out ahead of time and allow for at least 2 months to obtain the proper permits if you are going to be anywhere that needs a permit.

Jul 09, 2016 at 04:20 AM
williamkazak
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · My First Time Wedding!!! Need your Help with some questions I have.

This is not the thing to do. Wedding photogs need training. Being a second shooter is one way to get it. Also, using gear that you don't regularly use except for this one wedding is not a good answer either. Gracefully back out. Do some self searching, ask yourself why you are not backing out of this.

Jul 11, 2016 at 01:55 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · My First Time Wedding!!! Need your Help with some questions I have.

September light in Vail is a bitch. Never where you want it to be.

Jul 11, 2016 at 02:59 PM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · My First Time Wedding!!! Need your Help with some questions I have.

As the adage goes there are no retakes with wedding photography and only a fool would take one camera and flash and try to wing it. I take 3 cameras and 3 speedlights along with a Quantum studio flash kit. I have a special flash bracket to avoid red-eye in the pictures and I know when to bounce off a wall or ceiling and what to do when there is no wall or ceiling to reflect the light.

Can you imagine someone who has never shot video going out and renting a video camera and mic and winging it and succeeding? And video is infinitely more forgiving than still photography.

Suggest you shoot 4K video and then the B&G can select segments where they would like a still photo made from some of the frames. You are much less likely to disappoint them.

Jul 18, 2016 at 08:37 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.