New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Body painter portrait

pixlepeeper
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Body painter portrait

https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7403/27836044980_357fa51968_b.jpg

Taken with 85mm 1.4 lens. Apologies that I don't have the EXIF data with me but will add them this evening. (I don't know why GIMP doesn't pick up EXIF data from TIFF images.)

I specially like to know how you evaluate my post production. I'm not sure I got her skin tone right.

Jul 08, 2016 at 09:11 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Body painter portrait

Very hard to know what she looked like in person, but it seems to have a slight red cast.

Jul 08, 2016 at 09:34 AM
pixlepeeper
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Body painter portrait

I turned the temperature slider a bit to the right.

Jul 08, 2016 at 01:37 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Body painter portrait

We need Kent or Karen to look at it.

Jul 08, 2016 at 01:41 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Body painter portrait

is her dress or the "mesh work" black?

Pose feels a bit awkward with the left elbow (right image) appearing cut off and dropped off the table. A bit of tilt to the capture?

Cluttered scene. The wine on the table gives some setting, and perhaps the tip jar has significance (but is quite cut off). Behind her on the right the sign and colors detract.

What is the goal of this capture? Seems like a pleasant candid grab but if it was to capture her, a tighter framing and perhaps less busy setting would help.

Scott

Jul 08, 2016 at 04:32 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Body painter portrait

Looks a little hot in the Magenta (short on green) channel, followed by a bit more red.

Edited on Jul 08, 2016 at 07:29 PM · View previous versions

Jul 08, 2016 at 06:20 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Body painter portrait

I knew Kent would figure out the color, this looks much better with regard to color.

Jul 08, 2016 at 06:49 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Body painter portrait

Thanks Ben,

Looks like she is under canopy (check the posts in the sunglasses reflection).

Jul 08, 2016 at 11:17 PM
pixlepeeper
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Body painter portrait

It looks better of course but isn't it a bit saturated?

@sbeme Yeah it was a candid.

Jul 09, 2016 at 06:42 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Body painter portrait

pixlepeeper wrote:
It looks better of course but isn't it a bit saturated?

@sbeme@ Yeah it was a candid.

Here's some pull back on the saturation.

Sometimes I forget to pullback on the saturation after making color adjustments.
The saturation goes ^ up when adding color (for the adjustments), and with the prolonged study, you can become desensitized to the increase as it is incrementally occurring (boil a frog by turning the heat up slowly). Sometimes I see it at the time, or just remember to give it consideration for a pullback. Other times, I don't.

Pulling back on the saturation is probably the easiest adjustment there is too make, so it's no big deal to pull it back once you've got other aspects where you want them. Tweaking the color for variable WB / mixed lighting conditions isn't quite as simple, so the sat pullback is a walk in the park by comparison.

As always, S&P to taste.

Jul 09, 2016 at 07:20 AM
pixlepeeper
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Body painter portrait

OK, thanks.

Jul 09, 2016 at 07:21 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Body painter portrait

pixlepeeper wrote:
OK, thanks.

Pretty and vibrant lady with a big friendly smile. Her most noticeable and interesting features are her sunglasses and henna tattoo. Since she seemed so receptive to you photographing her, you might have suggested that she turn her tattooed hand more to the camera to capture the tattoo with all the beautiful and intricate details showing, or you might have stepped slightly more to the right side when composing and asked her to rotate her head only more toward you.

Also, as a general rule, if people are open and receptive and I've established a rapport, I ask them to remove their sunglasses when I'm taking portraits. Seeing their eyes creates more of a direct connection, interest, and revelation of character. This is only a suggestion though, as I have no idea of your relationship and approach to the lady, or whether on the other hand this was a quick snap.

Steve

Jul 09, 2016 at 10:17 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.