New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Spectraview calibration problem

Jim Levitt
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Spectraview calibration problem

I have an NEC LCD2490WUXi monitor, which I calibrate with Spectraview II software and an xrite eye-one display 2 puck. This combination has served me well for many years. Everything was fine until today, when I removed my 4-year old PC, and replaced it with a new one. Note: the 2490 is NOT wide gamut.

Today I hooked up the newly-built PC to this monitor. I ran the calibration with Spectraview II. The results are not good to my eye: there appears to be a magenta/red color cast that was not present when the monitor was attached to my older PC. In case it matters, the new PC has an nVidia GeForce GTX960 video card. The new machine is running Windows 10 Pro. The older PC ran Windows 7 Pro.

I have attached a screen grab that show the result of the calibration. My target profile is the Spectraview default for photo editing, with one change: I aimed the luminance for 120 nits, rather than the 140 default. The calibration result shows the color temp (6500K), gamma (2.2) and 120 nit are as targeted. But what puzzles me is the color gamut. It doesn’t line up with sRGB very well at all. Is this the source of the color cast that I see? The attached screen grab shows the display gamut (enclosing colors) and sRGB (the green line.) Shouldn't these overlap almost exactly, on an sRGB monitor?

I’m sorry that I didn’t look at these values before I removed the older PC. There’s only space for one desktop tower at a time, so switching back to the older PC is not something I can do very easily.

Any suggestions for how I can get this monitor properly calibrated to sRGB gamut?

Jul 07, 2016 at 11:25 PM
tntcorp
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Spectraview calibration problem

looking at the color space profiles, you should also have a more pronounced green color cast as compared to the red.

Jul 08, 2016 at 07:15 AM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Spectraview calibration problem

Only suggestion is to dig through the system and see if there is some Nvidia utility or something running in the background (some 'control panel' thing) that is messing things up.

Jul 08, 2016 at 10:19 AM
redcrown
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Spectraview calibration problem

Can't help much but to confirm something is wrong.

I have the same NEC 2460 monitor and Nvidia 960 card. But I'm still on Win7, and I calibrate at 5500K and 95 cdm2. Plus I use the puck that came with Spectraview, which is supposed to be a version of the Eye1.

Only advice I can give is calibrate again and double/triple check settings.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Other/Temp-Upload/n-5RJTN/i-6P6mDST/0/O/i-6P6mDST.jpg

Jul 08, 2016 at 01:33 PM
redcrown
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Spectraview calibration problem

Glad you got it fixed. Made me remember that years ago I had a puck go bad and wasted hours figuring that out. I think it was an Xrite but can't remember for sure. It had a cheap plastic filter over the lens. The plastic filter had gone foggy and the manufacturer did not sell replacement parts.

Why 5500K? Frankly, I can't remember for sure. I read a bunch of advice and picked that value. I've always calibrated to match prints, so that may be why I took that advice.

I edit in the dark, and 95 cdm2 comes a close as possible to my prints viewed under normal conditions (room light). Prints are still a bit darker than screen, but if I calibrate below 95 the DeltaE values start going bad.

Jul 10, 2016 at 09:48 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Spectraview calibration problem

It does seem like the i1D2 has a limited lifetime. A number of people report that the filters are aging poorly. The i1D3 has glass dichroic filters instead.

Jul 11, 2016 at 07:12 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.