New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · 24mm tilt shift question

mp356
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 24mm tilt shift question

Looking at getting a 24mm tilt-shift lens (Nikon or Samyang) for architectural work. I currently shoot with a ultrawide lens, correct perspective in post, and crop. My question is if I used a 24mm tilt-shift, first shifted far to the left and then far to the right, then merge them in post, would the resulting image angle of view be wider than a single exposure with a 14mm lens? This would all be on a FX body. Thanks in advance for any thoughts or input.
Scott

Jul 07, 2016 at 08:17 PM
notherenow
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 24mm tilt shift question

Play around with the shift calculator on this page.

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/tilt-shift-lenses1.htm#calculator

Very useful for just what you have asked.
The answer though is fully shifted- not quite (but would be close). Less shift means a better image but not as wide.

Jul 07, 2016 at 11:18 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 24mm tilt shift question

I would borrow or rent the lens and try it out to see if it meets your requirements. Even the Canon 24 t/s, which is considered to be the best 24 t/s right now, pretty much falls apart when doing a full horizontal shift on a horizontal frame. You may get really wide but at the expense of sharp edges and corners.

The other thing you need to figure out is how to slide the camera body instead of just the lens. You will run into parallax errors if you just shift the lens and stitch. Personally I use a RRS clamp and slide the L-bracket left and right 12mm to compensate for the lens shift, in effect making it a rear standard shift (as on a view camera) and eliminating the parallax.

Jul 08, 2016 at 02:35 AM
mp356
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 24mm tilt shift question

notherenow, thank you for the link. This is very helpful. I think I am beginning to understand the physics of the TS lens vs a standard lens.

Jul 08, 2016 at 09:52 AM
mp356
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 24mm tilt shift question

Peter, thank you for the rental suggestion and the tip on the parallax errors. I had read that when these lenses are shifted to their maximum that the image quality at the edges degrades. So much to learn about this type of lens and its uses.

I really enjoyed looking through your website.

Thanks again for your help.
Scott

Jul 08, 2016 at 10:02 AM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.