Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Headed to Northern California.

Tapeman
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Headed to Northern California.

In two weeks I'll be in the Pleasanton area visiting my daughter and wondered if anyone could recommend places close for wildlife shooting. I get out there around 3 times a year.

They used to live near San Rafael and one of their neighbors directed me to a water treatment area with many shore birds.

I have PM'd a couple of members here asking about places, but no replies.

Any suggestions?

Jul 06, 2016 at 11:47 PM
ross.thomas
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Headed to Northern California.

I'm not sure about wildlife, but Mt. Tamalpias is beautiful near San Rafael. Pleasanton is a nice little city!

Jul 07, 2016 at 03:42 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Headed to Northern California.

Anderson Valley Brewing Company sometimes has wildlife in the surrounding area. I think I saw a bear with moose antlers in the tap room.

Jul 07, 2016 at 05:02 AM
howard
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Headed to Northern California.

Point Reyes

Jul 07, 2016 at 08:55 AM
Plinian
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Headed to Northern California.

I'm in the Bay Area every month or two, and always try and spend a few hours looking for birds.

Close to Pleasanton, consider:
1) Coyote Hills Regional Park and Hayward shoreline; also Ardenwood Farms which is close by.
2) Don Edwards NWR (at the end of Grand Blvd); also Alviso Marina park which is close by.
3) Del Valle Regional Park. Different habitat with different birds, including the Yellow-billed Magpie which should be easy to get, and is only found in a very small region of central California.

There are active yahoo bboards for birders in the South Bay and East Bay; it's worthwhile checking those out to see where the serious birders are going (and also, of course, eBird). And, there's an active FB site for Bay Area bird photography: https://www.facebook.com/groups/539022046179728/.

Jul 07, 2016 at 11:32 AM
tuantran
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Headed to Northern California.

Notice no one from the Bay Area is answering this question.

The question to ask is, "Where would I bury a dead body?" Not many places in the Bay Area.

How far are you willing to drive? Pleasanton to Yosemite is 2.5 hour drive. To Lake Tahoe is 3.5 hours.

Jul 07, 2016 at 12:03 PM
Vivek
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Headed to Northern California.

This is not a good time of the year, but near Pleasanton, you can check out the following:

1. Coyote Hills Regional Park mentioned above (in Fremont)
2. Don Edwards NWR mentioned above (in Alviso)
3. Ed Levin County Park in Milpitas.
4. Sunol Wilderness in Sunol.
5. Lodi area (not sure what is going on here, but worth a check if active)
6. Palo Alto Baylands in Palo Alto
7. Radio Road in Redwood Shores (evenings only; light is bad in the morning).
8. Garin or Dry Creek Regional Parks in Hayward / Union City

HTH

Jul 07, 2016 at 05:24 PM
Tapeman
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Headed to Northern California.

My daughter has been living in California for over 10 years. Santa Barbara, San Francisco, San Rafael, and now Pleasanton. I have driven a couple of times (from Minnesota) taking my time and flying most times.

I expect to only take a couple of day trips as she puts me to work when I visit. (Retired electrician.)

I think this will be my first trip leaving my 500 at home as I now have a 100-400 II.

I appreciate these suggestions of places to visit and will definitely do some exploring.

Jul 07, 2016 at 06:45 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Headed to Northern California.

I'm betting you mean to post this in the Trip Location, etc forum: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/board/51

I live in the Bay Area, and I'll watch for your post over there.

Dan

Jul 07, 2016 at 08:40 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.