Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Is there a way to charge batteries with..

ArizonaImage
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Is there a way to charge batteries with..

So I was searching Amazon and found a great deal on a battery bank. It had great reviews, Panasonic batteries and like I said almost 5-star reviews. Its on sale from $29.99 to $9.99 for a 10200 mAh! That will charge my phone almost 3 times. So, looking at the EN-EL15 its 1900 mAh, so I should be able to charge this battery quite a few times.

My question is, is there a way to charge the EN-EL15 with one of these battery packs? Its 2-USB ports with one micro-USB. Picture attached below. Any ideas? Also, if you are interested in grabbing this deal, link below. Again, its 10,200 mAh with great reviews on sale for $9.99, they have two options, pay $9.99 for 5000 mAh or $9.99 for 10,200 mAh

iKit Battery Bank - 10,200 mAh - $9.99
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EWSREIG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am curious if this could work, or does the EN-EL15 need stronger voltage? Inputs?

iKits 10,200 mAh

Dual EN-EL15 battery USB charger.

Jul 05, 2016 at 11:06 PM
suteetat
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Is there a way to charge batteries with..

I have also been looking around for similar thing. The closest I found is
voltaicsystems solar charging kit. Basically, you use solar panel to charge its power bank.
Then they offer various adapters to charge various dslr and mirrorless batteries from their power bank.
However, I could not find just stand alone adapter for power bank to battery charger just yet.

Jul 06, 2016 at 12:23 AM
ArizonaImage
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Is there a way to charge batteries with..

suteetat wrote:
I have also been looking around for similar thing. The closest I found is
voltaicsystems solar charging kit. Basically, you use solar panel to charge its power bank.
Then they offer various adapters to charge various dslr and mirrorless batteries from their power bank.
However, I could not find just stand alone adapter for power bank to battery charger just yet.

Well, I found another brand of USB charger for the EL-EN15, and it says it can be powered via laptop, car, or power bank. So I think it could work

Jul 06, 2016 at 12:29 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Is there a way to charge batteries with..

Yes, it will work, but don't expect very fast charging. Keep in mind that the Nikon battery pack has two cells, so the 1900 mAh would require at least 3800 mAh minus charging and power supply losses. A cheap power bank may be optimistically rated as well. The system is probably good for 1.5 full charges or two practical charges from the battery not being fully drained. Test it fully before field use.

EBH

Jul 06, 2016 at 01:35 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Is there a way to charge batteries with..

Get one of these and be done with it.

https://www.amazon.com/Inverter-Maxboost-Charger-Aluminum-Battery/dp/B01ABDV6RQ/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1467798156&sr=8-15&keywords=car+inverter+110v

Gave 'em out for Xmas gifts a few years ago...everybody loves 'em.

Jul 06, 2016 at 04:47 AM
gdsf2
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Is there a way to charge batteries with..

Or just buy a few extra batteries. Packing a battery to charge another battery seems a bit off. Yes, you might safe a few bucks, but, in the scheme of things...

Jul 10, 2016 at 07:34 AM
kinconorb
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Is there a way to charge batteries with..

gdsf2 wrote:
Or just buy a few extra batteries. Packing a battery to charge another battery seems a bit off. Yes, you might safe a few bucks, but, in the scheme of things...

Plus buying an extra battery or two would probably take up less space - considering you're looking to charge batteries while out camping or something

I just spent 4 weeks in the AZ desert took 2 batteries along. Still had about 1/2 of the second batter left after the 4 weeks, but I wasn't shooting photos non-stop everyday either so I guess it depends on use.

Jul 10, 2016 at 09:36 AM
ScottHM
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Is there a way to charge batteries with..

kinconorb wrote:
Plus buying an extra battery or two would probably take up less space - considering you're looking to charge batteries while out camping or something

I just spent 4 weeks in the AZ desert took 2 batteries along. Still had about 1/2 of the second batter left after the 4 weeks, but I wasn't shooting photos non-stop everyday either so I guess it depends on use.

Having a good powerbank is worthwhile to have especially on long trips if you're going to be away from a car or any power for awhile...spend a little more, get a good one. I can go through a battery in half a day shooting with a long lens, the power inverter is a good idea too. I've known photographers who've run a second battery off their car vehicle just to keep constant power to a unit like this in back areas.

Jul 10, 2016 at 10:20 AM
John Skinner
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Is there a way to charge batteries with..

I'm struggling to understand the point of the exercise here.

On a heavy day, with 4 body's and 4000+ images, on D3 thru D4s models, I don't even touch the limits of power concerns. On the rarest of occasions, If I'm over-night and won't be close to AC (maybe once a year), I bring along a Paul C Buff Vagabond... This method has a zero degree of failure.

Jul 10, 2016 at 11:10 AM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Is there a way to charge batteries with..

Nikon chargers put out 8.4 volts at 0.9 amps. USB chargers put out 5 volts at various amp ratings. I am not sure it can be charged at a lower voltage.

Jul 10, 2016 at 11:36 AM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Is there a way to charge batteries with..

USB charges 3.7 volt cell phone batteries and other gadgets running on 3.7 volts.

Jul 10, 2016 at 11:58 AM
Kerry Pierce
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Is there a way to charge batteries with..

I agree with John and Will. When necessary, I've been using a DC converter in my car for probably 20 years. Of course, now I have a couple of chargers that plug directly into the cigarette port for power.

Additionally, I use the en-el4 and en-el18 batteries in almost all of my cameras, so I have a better battery to begin with.

good luck
Kerry

Jul 10, 2016 at 12:41 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Is there a way to charge batteries with..

runamuck wrote:
Nikon chargers put out 8.4 volts at 0.9 amps. USB chargers put out 5 volts at various amp ratings. I am not sure it can be charged at a lower voltage.

They have a boost switching regulated supply. How do you think the ~3.7V Li-ion cells put out the 5VDC for USB in the ubiquitous power packs? If the input is 5V/1A then the output might be ~0.5A @85% efficiency to 8.4V. The battery will simply charge more slowly with the USB charger.

EBH

Jul 10, 2016 at 01:20 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Is there a way to charge batteries with..

A fully charged EN-EL3e puts out 8.28 volts fresh off the charger. It took over an hour to bring up to fulol charge after sitting unused for a coup0le mopnths.

USB charger grabbed at random puts out 1 amp. The Nikon MH 25 charger puts out 1.2 amps at 8.4 volts. That is 5 watts for usb vs 10 watts for the Nikon charger. It will be a good little while to charge it using a usb charger.

I remain unsure you can charge a 7 volt battery using 5 volts.

Jul 10, 2016 at 02:10 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Is there a way to charge batteries with..

gdsf2 wrote:
Or just buy a few extra batteries. Packing a battery to charge another battery seems a bit off. .

That's been my strategy over the years.

Kent in SD

Jul 10, 2016 at 02:47 PM
suteetat
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Is there a way to charge batteries with..

I have a trekking trip in October where I will not have any access to electricity for 6 days. Temperature will drop to about 0 C at night but not too cold during the day time. I plan to have at least 1 battery per day for my D500. Also just got a dummy battery that can be connected to power bank as a back up. The reason I don't just buy more batteries are because power bank can be used for few other stuffs that I will have with me also.
Just hope that batteries and power bank does not lose their charges too quickly when temperature drop a bit.

Jul 10, 2016 at 09:53 PM
ArizonaImage
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Is there a way to charge batteries with..

Its not for the car, its cause I am flying out. The battery pack is for whatever can be USB charged, but, i am not sure if this pack at 10200mAh can charge the battery of EL-EN15

Jul 11, 2016 at 04:25 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Is there a way to charge batteries with..

runamuck wrote:
A fully charged EN-EL3e puts out 8.28 volts fresh off the charger. It took over an hour to bring up to fulol charge after sitting unused for a coup0le mopnths.

USB charger grabbed at random puts out 1 amp. The Nikon MH 25 charger puts out 1.2 amps at 8.4 volts. That is 5 watts for usb vs 10 watts for the Nikon charger. It will be a good little while to charge it using a usb charger.

I remain unsure you can charge a 7 volt battery using 5 volts.

I've charged the Canon LP-E6N (a similar 8.4V battery pack) numerous times from 5V USB. Do you think the chargers are a scam?

EBH

Jul 11, 2016 at 07:30 PM
Danner
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Is there a way to charge batteries with..

I feel pretty sure the Nikon charger is processor controlled with level testing, fast charge, full charge fold-back, and probably some other features. No way would I use a garden variety charger, even if its rated voltage was correct. It's just not the simple anymore.

Jul 11, 2016 at 08:45 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Is there a way to charge batteries with..

Chargers are a scam. My latest one cost $1,999. But to its credit, Nikon did include a free D500 with the charger.

Jul 11, 2016 at 09:13 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.