New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Tamron 24-70 f2.8 VC

deterpawson09

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Tamron 24-70 f2.8 VC

Hello fellow Nikon-eers,
Last weekend an element popped out, the one right behind the front element. So I took it in hoping the 6 year warranty would cover it as it is only 10 mths or less old. DOH !!! To my surprise they said it was caused by impact damage. however I have never dropped my lens , either on carpet or elsewhere, my bag has never been hit or "impacted"!!!
I really cannot believe this, a $1200 lens with full warranty and now im stuck with repair costs. Has anyone else had this happen to them?. What does one do I guess the customer who spends $1200 on your high end lens is a liar. If I had dropped it I would have told them so and eaten the cost because it would have been my fault. The lens is in pristine condition even the frakkin tape on the distance scale is still on. OMG !!! This really is a dilemma. If someone can help with some advice kindly do so !!! It summer and my 24-70/2.8 is in the shop.
Thank you all in advance for any replies/advice/info !!!!

PEACE TO ALL !!!

Hello, Thanks for your responses. On further 'googling' I found this article, further explains my problem.
hope I can link it here

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012/09/tamron-24-70-f2-8-vc-issue/

Edited on Jul 05, 2016 at 03:28 PM · View previous versions

Jul 05, 2016 at 12:13 PM
ScottHM
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Tamron 24-70 f2.8 VC

my next step would be to speak to someone else higher on up the line and explain the situation to them, if the purchase was made by one of the larger known retailers you can contact them and see if you can get their help. As you said if you know there was no impact damage, then I wouldn't let it sit, and I'd be very vocal and keep taking it higher until you get a response you'll be happy with, or make it even more public.

Jul 05, 2016 at 12:21 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Tamron 24-70 f2.8 VC

Roger Cicala reported that several of their copies have had element #2 pop out as well. Maybe point Tamron to his article and ask them to reconsider covering it under warranty. Here's the link:

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2013/01/24-70mm-f2-8-lens-teardown-comparison/

"I also want to show one close-up of the Tamron front group because the back element of the first group (element #2) was the one we had reported coming loose in a couple of early copies. This copy (which is more recent) shows a very hard plastic seal rather than the softer glue we had seen in those early ones. We may have gotten a couple with defective seals in those early copies, or Tamron may have changed things. Either way, we haven’t seen that problem in a long time now."

Jul 05, 2016 at 12:31 PM
Joseph.
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Tamron 24-70 f2.8 VC

Wow, so they think they're Nikon now?? I'd contact your credit card company and see if your purchase is covered. Tamron is such a wannabe.... Hope you get this resolved quickly.

Jul 05, 2016 at 05:46 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Tamron 24-70 f2.8 VC

Man, that's rough. Sigma would have sent over a
lap dance while you waited.

Jul 05, 2016 at 05:56 PM
Next39
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Tamron 24-70 f2.8 VC

trenchmonkey wrote:
Sigma would have sent over a
lap dance while you waited.

LMAO... Remember when I said we need a section in the forums for Trenchmonkey-isms? Well here's another one to include.

Jul 05, 2016 at 10:00 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.