Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Looking for advice on non-bulky flash brackets.

graham_martin
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Looking for advice on non-bulky flash brackets.

I am a freelancer for our local paper, and many of my assignments are of social events. I interchange between portrait and landscape mode (the paper requires some landscape mode images and some are group shots). I primarily shoot with a Nikon D800, an SB800 and a Gary Fong diffuser. For my portrait shots, I simply rotate the flash vertically which still produces some background shadows.

In the past I have used a Newton bracket (too unwieldy) and a Custom Bracket (too heavy). What I am looking for is a bracket that will let me quickly change from portrait to landscape. I also want to stay away from brackets that tend to flop over while the camera is hanging by my side. I always use back-button-focus, and shoot with zooms. Therefore, I need a bracket that is not going to force me to grow a third hand in order to use it comfortably.

Looking forward to getting some suggestions.

Jul 04, 2016 at 08:32 PM
BigIronCruiser
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Looking for advice on non-bulky flash brackets.

After trying several brackets, including the Custom Bracket, my choice was the Boomerang by ProMediaGear. It can be quickly & easily detached from their L-Bracket, and it locks into place when switching from portrait to landscape. Very well made.

Jul 05, 2016 at 08:06 AM
graham_martin
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Looking for advice on non-bulky flash brackets.

Thanks, I will check it out.

Jul 05, 2016 at 08:34 AM
Ronny Mills
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Looking for advice on non-bulky flash brackets.

http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/More/Flash/FlashBrackets

Jul 05, 2016 at 07:24 PM
c.d.embrey
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Looking for advice on non-bulky flash brackets.

The CB Mini RC is small and light, and there is NO flash rotation needed http://www.custombrackets.com/interests/fashion-and-paparazzi/cb-mini-rc.html This is commonly used by the Paparazzi and Fashion shooters who do Snapshot style.

Jul 08, 2016 at 06:24 PM
graham_martin
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Looking for advice on non-bulky flash brackets.

Thanks, in the meantime I found a used Really Right Stuff flash bracket on eBay. It should arrive on Tuesday, and hopefully it will work the way I want it to.

Jul 08, 2016 at 08:24 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.