Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · I will be photographing the two Pitons in St. Lucia. Suggestions needed!

razuto22

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · I will be photographing the two Pitons in St. Lucia. Suggestions needed!

In two weeks i'm heading down to St. Lucia. I'm looking to get some spectacular photographs of the two Pitons. I'm going to link a photo below (that I did NOT take). If you were there, what would be your process of taking this type of picture? Multiple exposures? One wide angle shot? Stacking to get flowers in the foreground in focus, and then focusing on the background? Long exposure?

- Two Pitons
- Google Images of St. Lucia

Thanks. And if this is the wrong sub, I will gladly delete this and move it somewhere else.

Jul 04, 2016 at 07:08 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · I will be photographing the two Pitons in St. Lucia. Suggestions needed!

The Two Pitons view in the first is not bad but for me:
1) It needs late evening light with some orange glow
2) The flowers in the front offer some nice color but they are oof - this is hard to pull off getting the close and far in the same shot. If you go to f22, you get diffraction in the picture (blur). If you go f16 on ff its okay but you might have to pull back on flowers to ensure depth. or you might have to focus stack. Or just skip the near flowers. I would try the shot with f16 and see what you can do and then I would try it without the flowers from a similar vantage.
3) I like the palm tree intruding on the right.
4) It would be nice to have the cloud to the left for interest and balance.
5) Be prepared to go several nights/mornings and try the night time too..

Jul 05, 2016 at 12:42 AM
GroovyGeek
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · I will be photographing the two Pitons in St. Lucia. Suggestions needed!

Can't give you advice about land-based locations, but Les Pitons look great from the water, better than the land-based images that your Google search points to. A few years ago I was on a Windstar cruise with my wife and they made it a point to be there at sunset. The mast perfectly splitting the gap between the two formations with a full sail to complement made for a decent but not spectacular image. You do need a strong sky and a foreground point of interest to make it work, so going out on a kayak will likely not cut it.

Jul 07, 2016 at 02:17 AM
dalite
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · I will be photographing the two Pitons in St. Lucia. Suggestions needed!

Took a catamaran ride to St Lucia to the two piton area. The weather was cloudy so I did not have any good photo. I do not know much about the rest of the island and I would imagine that getting to that spot may require a boat and some hiking.

Jul 29, 2016 at 12:36 AM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.