New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Dark Moment

Daniel Kwok
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Dark Moment

Those who have kids would know that they are not always as cheerful and angelic as we like. I believe they have complicated emotions too, starting at a young age. As I document my children's early life, I want to make sure that I capture the dark moments as well as the bright ones. This is the darkest one (mood and tone wise) I have done thus far:

https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7724/27794512400_7948b86180_c.jpg

https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7452/28014633481_f8cc0d0fca_c.jpg

C&C are welcome!

Jul 04, 2016 at 07:04 PM
GoodEgg
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Dark Moment

Some dark moments are merely reverie as the diaper gets filled.
These are keepers; please continue capturing these introspective moments, Daniel. Beautiful child!

Jul 04, 2016 at 09:02 PM
Daniel Kwok
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Dark Moment

GoodEgg wrote:
Some dark moments are merely reverie as the diaper gets filled.
These are keepers; please continue capturing these introspective moments, Daniel. Beautiful child!

Thank you GoodEgg! Yes, there are so many different types of dark moments - some of the times they are just being tired and cranky. All part of the experience I guess

Jul 05, 2016 at 01:53 AM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Dark Moment

My daughter-in-law has problems with photos of her boys where their expression is less than the "smile for the camera" smile. Her younger soon is very introspective and his natural expression is more thoughtful. She think it makes him look sad (he has puppy dog eyes the adds to the look), but I think my photos of him not smiling are more representative.

I remember childhood as being not unlike what I have discovered adulthood to be like. There are plenty of moments of carefree laughter, but it is also a time of learning how to get along in the world, which can be filled with disappointment, frustration and sometimes sadness.

Your images do a great job of portraying the more reflective part of growing up. They are much more real than photos of kids with angel wings tied to their backs.

Jul 05, 2016 at 07:48 AM
peacefrog33756
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Dark Moment

Very well done, Daniel.

Jul 05, 2016 at 09:08 AM
pitbullo

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Dark Moment

Very well captured and presented!

People who think kids only are cheerful and happy in between all the crying probably dont have kids themselves. In many ways kids feel a lot more than us adults. They are happy, sad, scared, jealous, angry, excited.... and they dont have the tools and experience to deal with all those emotions rationally. Angry can easily be furious, happy can be so excited the pee in their pants, their emotional peaks are higher and more frequent than ours. They need to be taken really serious when it comes to emotions, and be treated with respect when us adults react to them. This is also important when portraying kids in photos, and you have managed that with these images. She won't be embarrassed when seeing them later in life.

Very well done, truly great pictures!

Jul 05, 2016 at 09:33 AM
Fred Amico
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Dark Moment

As others have said, very well done, indeed.

Jul 05, 2016 at 01:20 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Dark Moment

Cute kid ... and well done shots even if a bit too dark on the face for my tastes.

Jul 05, 2016 at 02:34 PM
Daniel Kwok
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Dark Moment

dmacmillan wrote:
My daughter-in-law has problems with photos of her boys where their expression is less than the "smile for the camera" smile. Her younger soon is very introspective and his natural expression is more thoughtful. She think it makes him look sad (he has puppy dog eyes the adds to the look), but I think my photos of him not smiling are more representative.

I remember childhood as being not unlike what I have discovered adulthood to be like. There are plenty of moments of carefree laughter, but it is also a time of learning how to get along in the world,
...Show more

Thank you dmacmillan! Most mothers like to see photos of their children happy and smiling, even though they fully understand that they are fully capable of experiencing a whole bunch of other emotions as well. So I understand where your daughter-in-law is coming from. For example, even though my wife appreciates these two photos of our daughter (I'm actually kinda surprised by it), she said that she certainly wouldn't hang these up on a wall. For display, she would prefer ones where the daughter is smiling, looking adorable, you know what I mean.

For me, I feel like I HAVE to take photos like these. I would try to also take photos of them looking adorable, smiling, etc. but I need a balance by expressing other emotions as well. Guess that's why I'm a little weird and I definitely don't have that universal appeal

Jul 06, 2016 at 12:37 AM
Daniel Kwok
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Dark Moment

peacefrog33756 wrote:
Very well done, Daniel.

Thank you , PeaceFrog!

Jul 06, 2016 at 12:38 AM
Daniel Kwok
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Dark Moment

pitbullo wrote:
Very well captured and presented!

People who think kids only are cheerful and happy in between all the crying probably dont have kids themselves. In many ways kids feel a lot more than us adults. They are happy, sad, scared, jealous, angry, excited.... and they dont have the tools and experience to deal with all those emotions rationally. Angry can easily be furious, happy can be so excited the pee in their pants, their emotional peaks are higher and more frequent than ours. They need to be taken really serious when it comes to emotions, and be treated with respect when
...Show more

So true, I agree that the kind of emotions they have to go through is probably worse that what we, adults, have to go through. At least we know how to express them, and like you said, have the tools to deal with them. I don't like when adults try to do baby-talk to kids or try to shrug it off by saying that they are just kids, and I think kids get frustrated (I know I was ) with that too.

Thank you for your kind words Pitbullo!

Jul 06, 2016 at 12:41 AM
Daniel Kwok
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Dark Moment

Fred Amico wrote:
As others have said, very well done, indeed.

Thank you, Fred!

Jul 06, 2016 at 12:42 AM
Daniel Kwok
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Dark Moment

Andre Labonte wrote:
Cute kid ... and well done shots even if a bit too dark on the face for my tastes.

Thank you, Andre! I agree, and after playing with different kinds of editing, I think I like it better with the face brightened just a tad.

Jul 06, 2016 at 12:42 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.