1       2       3              10      
       12              19       20       end

Archive 2016 · 5d4: start to get really impatient now

wnichols
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.11 #1 · p.11 #1 · 5d4: start to get really impatient now

howard wrote:
In my part of the country that's 5 weeks.

Okay, closer to 5 than 4. Not enough coffee yet this morning lol

Jul 21, 2016 at 07:30 AM
mogud
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.11 #2 · p.11 #2 · 5d4: start to get really impatient now

Why would anybody think that Canon would release the 5d4 with a spec and feature list better than their flagship camera at half the price? Makes zero sense. Isn't Canon in business to make a profit?

Jul 21, 2016 at 08:13 AM
DmitriM
• • • •
p.11 #3 · p.11 #3 · 5d4: start to get really impatient now

mogud wrote:
Why would anybody think that Canon would release the 5d4 with a spec and feature list better than their flagship camera at half the price? Makes zero sense. Isn't Canon in business to make a profit?

I doubt they are making any profit on the flagship cameras. It's a business where volume dictates net profits. PS camera and cheap dslrs make all the profit for them.

Jul 22, 2016 at 08:00 AM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.11 #4 · p.11 #4 · 5d4: start to get really impatient now

mogud wrote:

Because they make their money from L lenses and accessories?

Not too many people buying a 5D4 don't (or won't) own a couple thousand dollars in Canon branded lenses, flashes and accessories.

Jul 22, 2016 at 08:28 AM
Robin Smith
• • •
p.11 #5 · p.11 #5 · 5d4: start to get really impatient now

I reckon they may go higher than 28MP, but the fps will be much the same as the MKIII. If you want faster then you need the 1DxII. It will have a faster AF more like the 1DXs (but not as good) and will have anti-flicker, self timer as per 5Ds + plus all that video stuff I don't care about, but others do. You probably won't like the price (who does) and it won't be cheaper than what the 5DIII was on release.

Jul 26, 2016 at 10:50 AM
Kathy White
• • • •
p.11 #6 · p.11 #6 · 5d4: start to get really impatient now

Robin Smith wrote:
I reckon they may go higher than 28MP, but the fps will be much the same as the MKIII. If you want faster then you need the 1DxII. It will have a faster AF more like the 1DXs (but not as good) and will have anti-flicker, self timer as per 5Ds + plus all that video stuff I don't care about, but others do. You probably won't like the price (who does) and it won't be cheaper than what the 5DIII was on release.

I think they will raise the FPS just a little. They have in the past so I think this is a given. I expect to see 7 or 8. Also for me 6 fps is usable, not ideal by any means, but usable, for sports so even a modest increase would make the 5DIV even more versatile than the III.

Jul 26, 2016 at 11:04 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.11 #7 · p.11 #7 · 5d4: start to get really impatient now

mogud wrote:

Which specs are better.

1 series have never been highest resolution in general, 1DsIII tied with 5DII and that's it. The 1 series are just don't usually have the best feature sets overall but excel in several areas. They are as much about durability, reliability, awesome battery life. No specs other than resolution possibly are better than 1DXII's.

Also the 1DXII sells in very small numbers relatively speaking, and even with the fat they have in their price (it's at least 50%) it won't make them a lot of money. They'll make much more from 5 series and much more again from Rebel and xxD series.

Jul 26, 2016 at 11:13 AM
mogud
• • • •
p.11 #8 · p.11 #8 · 5d4: start to get really impatient now

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Which specs are better.

1 series have never been highest resolution in general, 1DsIII tied with 5DII and that's it. The 1 series are just don't usually have the best feature sets overall but excel in several areas. They are as much about durability, reliability, awesome battery life. No specs other than resolution possibly are better than 1DXII's.

Also the 1DXII sells in very small numbers relatively speaking, and even with the fat they have in their price (it's at least 50%) it won't make them a lot of money. They'll make much more from 5 series and much
...Show more

I realize that the Rebel line is the money maker and that the market for 1 series bodies is different than 5 series cameras. I have read posts on many photo forums where the poster has stated that the 5d4 will have features/specs that will better that of the 1dx2. Don't understand these statements. When the 1dx was released, the 5d3 was not a 1dx in mini. Sales of the 1dx did not suffer because of the release of the 5d3.

With the impending announcement of the 5d4, I'm reading comments that the 5d4 will be a better camera "feature and spec wise". Why would Canon release a body which could take sales away from their new flagship? I get the resolution and ruggedness differences but, sales of the 1dx2 have to recoup at least sunk costs and make some ROI.

Jul 26, 2016 at 11:51 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.11 #9 · p.11 #9 · 5d4: start to get really impatient now

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Which specs are better.

Also the 1DXII sells in very small numbers relatively speaking, and even with the fat they have in their price (it's at least 50%) it won't make them a lot of money. They'll make much more from 5 series and much
...Show more

1Ds and 1Ds II were best in class for resolution. Even the 1Ds III was for about a year. So that was a total of nearly 5 years.

EBH

Jul 26, 2016 at 04:26 PM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.11 #10 · p.11 #10 · 5d4: start to get really impatient now

mogud wrote:
Why would Canon release a body which could take sales away from their new flagship? I get the resolution and ruggedness differences but, sales of the 1dx2 have to recoup at least sunk costs and make some ROI.

I doubt the 1D bodies sell in enough volume to recoup all the development costs. Canon has the lower tiered bodies with far, far more volume to cover that. Given the cost and the ergonomics I doubt many potential 5D4 buyers have the 1DX2 on their radar as a viable alternative. It's nonsensical for Canon to be that overly protective.

What was the Steve Jobs line, cannibalize yourself before someone else does it.

Jul 26, 2016 at 05:12 PM
HS-LD
• •
p.11 #11 · p.11 #11 · 5d4: start to get really impatient now

You know that may make sense to business people, but not really to photographers, or anyone who understands what photographers do with cameras.

You could have equally specked 5D and 1D cameras and there would still be a clear distinction as to which most photographers would choose for what they do regardless of the price.

What Canon and Nikon have NEVER understood is that there is a real need for a pro level smaller lighter body. If you need the speed and durability, go 1D, if you need smaller and lighter go 5D. Either way, a pro still needs the best AF possible.

The D700 and 5D series are not popular because they are cheaper than the 1D series or D4/D5. They are popular because pro photographers need a pro body, but not necessarily a 4-5 pound pro body.

Every time Canon or Nikon makes a non-crippled smaller/lighter pro body it's immensely popular and becomes a classic. F100, D300, D700, 7D, 7DII, 5D, etc...

Jul 26, 2016 at 05:45 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.11 #12 · p.11 #12 · 5d4: start to get really impatient now

mogud wrote:
I realize that the Rebel line is the money maker and that the market for 1 series bodies is different than 5 series cameras. I have read posts on many photo forums where the poster has stated that the 5d4 will have features/specs that will better that of the 1dx2. Don't understand these statements. When the 1dx was released, the 5d3 was not a 1dx in mini. Sales of the 1dx did not suffer because of the release of the 5d3.

With the impending announcement of the 5d4, I'm reading comments that the 5d4 will be a better camera "feature
...Show more

Ok here's a question? Why did Nikon release a D500 with almost exactly the same specs as the D5 at 1/3rd the price. The only downside is it's a cropper and not as good at high ISO. Won't the D500 cannabalise the D5 sales?

Create the best camera you can fo9r the segment of interest. People have reasons for buying a 1D series or Dx series Nikon, no matter how good the lesser offerings.

At the end of the day surely a business is more worried about total revenues rather than how it's broken down. As long as 1DXII sales meet expectations they'll be happy. Don't forget before 5D3 came out a lot of people bought into 1D series just for the AF system, the other cameras were frankly crap for servo work. Suddenly we get 1DX AF in 5D3, then 7DII and 5Ds. Has the world fallen apart for 1DX (II) sales. I owned 5D3 and 1DX becuase each had definite advantages ove the other. The 1DX AF is still better, it has better high ISO, far fatser, far more repsonsicve, bigger buffers, handles big glass better, has phenomenal battery life, is far more rugged, bigger brighter VF and IMO files from 1 series have aklways been a bitt more malleable and IQ a bit better.

Another analogy was EOS 3 and EOSO 1V, why would anyone buy the 1V given the EOS 3 was 95% of the camera

Jul 26, 2016 at 09:51 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.11 #13 · p.11 #13 · 5d4: start to get really impatient now

For some folks, the +5% makes a diff. For others, not so much.

I shot an FE while others were shooting F4. By most standards, the FE wasn't anywhere near 95% of the F4. But, the FE still could shoot anything I could mount to it at any exposure value from Bulb to 1/1000 sec.

Sure the F4 could shoot faster, but I was shooting ASA 50 film, with slow glass. Anything faster than 1/1000 wasn't exactly in my arsenal, nor my genre, so all that diff (>5%) between the FE and F4 ... well, it made no diff to me. Someone else (say a sports shooter), however ... horses for courses ... it meant a lot to them.

In today's realm, how many FPS does one person need (or likely want) vs. another ... well, that just depends. Where a person draws the line on their threshold is highly subjective ... and you can't expect everyone to draw that line the same way as everyone else.

Jul 26, 2016 at 10:29 PM
mogud
• • • •
p.11 #14 · p.11 #14 · 5d4: start to get really impatient now

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Ok here's a question? Why did Nikon release a D500 with almost exactly the same specs as the D5 at 1/3rd the price. The only downside is it's a cropper and not as good at high ISO. Won't the D500 cannabalise the D5 sales?

Create the best camera you can fo9r the segment of interest. People have reasons for buying a 1D series or Dx series Nikon, no matter how good the lesser offerings.

At the end of the day surely a business is more worried about total revenues rather than how it's broken down. As long as 1DXII sales meet
...Show more

The D500 offers a less expensive price point than the D5. Nikon likely thought they would tap into a new revenue stream somewhere between buyers who couldn't afford the D5 but wanted similar performance. I wouldn't be surprised if Canon does something similar. I don't think the 5d4 is marketed as a less expensive 1dx2. My opinion only.

Canon does look at total revenue but, segment revenue is just as important. If a segment and products in the segment are not performing as expected, products are changed or not offered.

While some may not like the business aspect of companies like Canon, successful companies are the reason why new and better products are offered which is a good thing. As a result, consumers benefit.

Jul 26, 2016 at 11:51 PM
HS-LD
• •
p.11 #15 · p.11 #15 · 5d4: start to get really impatient now

mogud wrote:
The D500 offers a less expensive price point than the D5. Nikon likely thought they would tap into a new revenue stream somewhere between buyers who couldn't afford the D5 but wanted similar performance. I wouldn't be surprised if Canon does something similar. I don't think the 5d4 is marketed as a less expensive 1dx2. My opinion only.

Canon does look at total revenue but, segment revenue is just as important. If a segment and products in the segment are not performing as expected, products are changed or not offered.

While some may not like the business aspect of companies like Canon,
...Show more

As of today, the 6D is taking away 5D3 sales. (At least 1. ) I'm not spending the extra $1100 USD to get the 5D3 when the 5D4 is coming out next month and the 6D will do what I need it to do until the 5D4 goes on holiday sale in 2018...

Now if the 5D3 was more like $2100 new, I'd probably go that way.

Jul 27, 2016 at 12:58 AM
Venus
• • •
p.11 #16 · p.11 #16 · 5d4: start to get really impatient now

I hope they don't produce a video camera. 10 fps is the least I expect of it. And with a new 11V battery for faster AF acquisition, at least comparable to the 1DXII minus the frame rate.

Jul 27, 2016 at 01:14 AM
evertdoorn
• • • •
p.11 #17 · p.11 #17 · 5d4: start to get really impatient now

ugh I'd hated it if it would be so fast. I need to slow down my photography. If it's 10fps I wouldn't buy it. Also 11volt battery means it would get too heavy. I'd pass.

Jul 27, 2016 at 01:39 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.11 #18 · p.11 #18 · 5d4: start to get really impatient now

HS-LD wrote:
As of today, the 6D is taking away 5D3 sales. (At least 1. ) I'm not spending the extra $1100 USD to get the 5D3 when the 5D4 is coming out next month and the 6D will do what I need it to do until the 5D4 goes on holiday sale in 2018...

Now if the 5D3 was more like $2100 new, I'd probably go that way.

6DII will probably be announced in the march time frame.

Jul 27, 2016 at 03:30 AM
anselwannab
• • •
p.11 #19 · p.11 #19 · 5d4: start to get really impatient now

With 28+MP and 7-8fps, we are starting to get into the mythical '3D' model that every one has been talking about for over 10 years. An all around capable camera that can be used from landscapes to action.

Jul 27, 2016 at 06:47 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.11 #20 · p.11 #20 · 5d4: start to get really impatient now

+1 @ Goldilocks territory

anselwannab wrote:
With 28+MP and 7-8fps, we are starting to get into the mythical '3D' model that every one has been talking about for over 10 years. An all around capable camera that can be used from landscapes to action.

Jul 27, 2016 at 07:01 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.