Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       5       end

Archive 2016 · X-T2 is Imminent: Time for a Fuji Board?

Paul Mo
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · X-T2 is Imminent: Time for a Fuji Board?

I know this will inevitably attract vitriol, and that it will, again, seem to be flogging a dead horse, but for ease of accessing information and letting the system stand on its own... is it time?

This is not about weakening the Alt. Board in any way, but solidifying Fuji and making Fuji-specific information easier to find.

Canon
Nikon
Sony
Fuji

Would it also not attract traffic eventually making FM one of the places to find information and view X images online?

Jul 03, 2016 at 07:05 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · X-T2 is Imminent: Time for a Fuji Board?

I'm sympathetic, but I think that FM also has to balance the attractions of specializing the forums against the danger of fractionalizing them too much.

Jul 03, 2016 at 07:08 PM
Lee Saxon
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · X-T2 is Imminent: Time for a Fuji Board?

I don't think there's any need for vitriol but I don't think there's any need for a new forum either. Even if it attracted *all* the Fuji X traffic, that ain't much traffic. We got a Sony board because that traffic was overwhelming the alt traffic. If we made a Fuji X board, we should make Leica and Hasselblad boards, maybe split Canon into EF and EF-S, etc. A lot of forums go that route (a separate forum for every single iteration of the 5 series on bimmerfest, for example) but it just becomes more hindrance than help at a point.

Jul 03, 2016 at 08:00 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · X-T2 is Imminent: Time for a Fuji Board?

6 threads about Fuji on the ATL 1st page going back 4 days. I think the dedicated Fuji forum would be a lonely place.

Jul 03, 2016 at 08:05 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · X-T2 is Imminent: Time for a Fuji Board?

I get the point about low traffic, but having a dedicated board may foster encourage growth and attract new members.

Jul 03, 2016 at 08:09 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · X-T2 is Imminent: Time for a Fuji Board?

Paul Mo wrote:
I get the point about low traffic, but having a dedicated board may foster encourage growth and attract new members.

I think it would do the opposite. People who frequent the Alt board because they are interested in all sorts of lenses might jump into a Fuji thread...but these people might not go into a dedicated Fuji board. I personally do not visit the Nikon board at all...would Alt folks go to another board dedicated to Fuji...I don't think so.

I guess I should ask you what do you feel a dedicated Fuji board would accomplish that can't be accomplished by posting Fuji threads onto the Alt forum?

Jul 03, 2016 at 08:15 PM
dthrog00
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · X-T2 is Imminent: Time for a Fuji Board?

I think Fuji's different because its users largely use Fuji glass. The Sony cameras seemed to overtake the alt forum because they were a good platform for members to use their legacy lenses on.

If Fuji became popular enough to justify its own forum that'd be great, but I don't think it's there yet.

Dave

Jul 03, 2016 at 10:01 PM
gregfountain
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · X-T2 is Imminent: Time for a Fuji Board?

I don't see why it's a big deal. Add a forum, give it a name, make a folder, and hit "publish." Why does it matter how much traffic it does or doesn't have? I've asked for a "Still Life" forum in the past, but got nothing but silence, which perplexes me. Posts either go in one place or another, it's not like it's adding bandwidth....

Jul 03, 2016 at 10:03 PM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · X-T2 is Imminent: Time for a Fuji Board?

It's an interesting conundrum.

I'd say give it its own board (along with m43).

It would be nice to have a dedicated board for Fuji.

For instance I'd love to have lens-specific threads. That's something one could do with Fuji that would rock (or any brand really), but it would be rude to do here because it would 'spam' the alt board with all things Fuji.

Something similar could be done with m43 if they were segregated.

I'm not sure it really lessens traffic or posts -- if you're interested in the posts you'll check out the other boards. I commonly check out the Sony board, and even the Nikon and Canon boards just to keep tabs on the state of things (aka when I ain't get jack else to do!).

I really wish the Fuji-centric message boards would get it in their mind that you don't have to fragment every single freaking type of post into a new board -- that results in horrible fragmentation and makes it very hard to find information (Fujix-forums I'm looking at you). Now that is fragmentation, but I don't think it would harm the FM boards too much.

Those curious about adapting lenses could come to the real "Alt" board and even those brand-specific threads could still be in Alt (just like the Sony Alt thread is in both the Alt and the Sony boards).

So, although traffic isn't that high right now, I vote "Separate Fuji board".

I'd love to have some lens-specific threads. I love that about Photography-on-the.net

Jul 03, 2016 at 10:03 PM
fsiagian
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · X-T2 is Imminent: Time for a Fuji Board?

Come on fuji, announce that mf mirrorless.

Jul 03, 2016 at 10:49 PM
Edward Castro
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · X-T2 is Imminent: Time for a Fuji Board?

dthrog00 wrote:
I think Fuji's different because its users largely use Fuji glass. The Sony cameras seemed to overtake the alt forum because they were a good platform for members to use their legacy lenses on.

If Fuji became popular enough to justify its own forum that'd be great, but I don't think it's there yet.

Dave

I agree with everything you just said for the time being. I think we should wait and see how much traffic the X-T2 brings to FM. We also have to consider if Fuji announces they are developing a MF camera that will bring more traffic. Either way it's a fun time to be a Fuji enthusiast.

Jul 04, 2016 at 12:37 AM
Xavier Rival
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · X-T2 is Imminent: Time for a Fuji Board?

chez wrote:
I think it would do the opposite. People who frequent the Alt board because they are interested in all sorts of lenses might jump into a Fuji thread...but these people might not go into a dedicated Fuji board. I personally do not visit the Nikon board at all...would Alt folks go to another board dedicated to Fuji...I don't think so.

I agree.

To me, what is special here is that users of various kinds of "non Canon/Nikon" cameras/lenses come and exchange information. Many people use several of these systems, or experiment with one and go back to the other.
I started to visit here even before I decided to add a mirrorless system. Since I got an L-branded one with a rangefinder on top, I kept looking at threads related to various brands. I just find the material here is unique and inspiring.

Splitting it into one forum per brand would ruin it in my opinion.

A new Fuji camera is around the corner, that I will most likely never buy, so I will just skip the threads about it (though I will probably have a quick look just to know what it is about ---well, I already did actually) and will keep looking at the more creative threads.

Jul 04, 2016 at 01:58 AM
rattymouse
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · X-T2 is Imminent: Time for a Fuji Board?

Paul Mo wrote:

Would it also not attract traffic eventually making FM one of the places to find information and view X images online?

FM is ALREADY the place to go. If finding information here is too difficult, there is always DPR for those challenged.

It is impossible for me to see how it can be difficult to find X images in the ALT forum.

Jul 04, 2016 at 06:53 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · X-T2 is Imminent: Time for a Fuji Board?

I like the current balance of forum content at FM.

Jul 04, 2016 at 06:57 AM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · X-T2 is Imminent: Time for a Fuji Board?

Paul Mo wrote:
I know this will inevitably attract vitriol, and that it will, again, seem to be flogging a dead horse, but for ease of accessing information and letting the system stand on its own... is it time?

This is not about weakening the Alt. Board in any way, but solidifying Fuji and making Fuji-specific information easier to find.

Canon
Nikon
Sony
Fuji

I'm with you. I brought this subject up a few weeks ago and was promptly shot down. I really don't understand the issue here, what possible difference does it make to anyone but those of us shooting Fuji? As it is now, most of the time, when I want to ask specific questions about the Fuji system, I end up going to DPR. I'd MUCH rather spend my time on FM, mainly because of the format and because I feel more at home here.

Jul 04, 2016 at 08:03 AM
RobCD
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · X-T2 is Imminent: Time for a Fuji Board?

Paul Mo wrote:

Canon
Nikon
Sony
Fuji

I would be in favor of a Fuji X board. Nothing wrong with the alt forum but it's a totally different experience and type of interaction vs a board with mostly people using the same system. I think a dedicated Fuji X board would drive more traffic. Micro 4/3 users probably need their own board too.

Jul 04, 2016 at 08:13 AM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · X-T2 is Imminent: Time for a Fuji Board?

I prefer it how it is now.

The Alt forum brings together all of the small systems in one place. As someone who dabbles in multiple smaller systems I like the inclusion>

I certainly wouldn't spend much time in a dedicated Fuji forum, since I'm not actively shooting Fuji at the moment (I have in the past), just like I almost never go into the Nikon or Sony forums here (I'm also a former shooter of both systems).

By creating a new forum for Fuji or m43 you'd lose a lot of contributors with experience with the systems but who aren't currently active (and with the number of former users of each system active in the alt forum, that's a decent amount of traffic)

Jul 04, 2016 at 08:19 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · X-T2 is Imminent: Time for a Fuji Board?

leighton w wrote:
I'm with you. I brought this subject up a few weeks ago and was promptly shot down. I really don't understand the issue here, what possible difference does it make to anyone but those of us shooting Fuji? As it is now, most of the time, when I want to ask specific questions about the Fuji system, I end up going to DPR. I'd MUCH rather spend my time on FM, mainly because of the format and because I feel more at home here.

Why is it you feel you cannot ask Fuji specific questions here on the Alt forum? I see Fuji specific threads here.

Jul 04, 2016 at 08:24 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · X-T2 is Imminent: Time for a Fuji Board?

Looks like you guys are ready for Fujexit

How about a referendum?

Jul 04, 2016 at 08:27 AM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · X-T2 is Imminent: Time for a Fuji Board?

mawz wrote:
I prefer it how it is now.

The Alt forum brings together all of the small systems in one place. As someone who dabbles in multiple smaller systems I like the inclusion>

I certainly wouldn't spend much time in a dedicated Fuji forum, since I'm not actively shooting Fuji at the moment (I have in the past), just like I almost never go into the Nikon or Sony forums here (I'm also a former shooter of both systems).

By creating a new forum for Fuji or m43 you'd lose a lot of contributors with experience with the systems but who aren't currently active
...Show more

Ok, let's be honest. since you wouldn't go to the Nikon and Canon forums, and presumably a dedicated Fuji forum, would you visit a Fuji gear thread in the ALT forum? Personally, I never visit a thread in the ALT forum talking about specific gear, (other than Fuji). I will, however, visit the image threads of different manufacturers from time to time.

Jul 04, 2016 at 08:28 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.