New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2016 · Thom Hogan's D500 guide available

snapsy
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Thom Hogan's D500 guide available

I haven't seen his D500 guide yet but based on previous guides it's well worth the money.

http://www.dslrbodies.com/books/bythom-complete-guides-/nikon-d500-guide.html

Jun 30, 2016 at 10:03 AM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Thom Hogan's D500 guide available

And my Argus model AF (circa 1935) came with an 8 paged manual. 2 of those pages listed available accessories, like flash powder and trays.

edit to add--I am not in any way demeaning Bythom or an of his books. I am merely pointing out the difference between manuals. Please do not read such into my post.

I just wonder if I have enough room on my tablet for this book.

Jun 30, 2016 at 01:00 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Thom Hogan's D500 guide available

Interesting. The download comes from "fatfreecartpro.com. This is really great news as I just drank a HUGE chocolate malt. Good to know the download won't add top my waistlne!

Jul 01, 2016 at 03:48 PM
kaplah
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Thom Hogan's D500 guide available

I picked up a copy yesterday. A lot of it is rehash (e.g., I already know how a Bayer sensor works), but there's lots of useful tidbits already (e.g., no advantage to 14-bit vs. 12-bit over 400ISO), and I'm still skimming through it.

Jul 01, 2016 at 03:56 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Thom Hogan's D500 guide available

He's too verbose for moi, save your money.

Jul 01, 2016 at 04:45 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Thom Hogan's D500 guide available

Verbose is not a problem. Japaglish and Chinglish are.

Jul 01, 2016 at 04:53 PM
LeifG
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Thom Hogan's D500 guide available

trenchmonkey wrote:
He's too verbose for moi, save your money.

He seems to have obsessions, and in his reviews he writes huge amounts on these details, at the expense of bigger points. A strict editor would not go amiss.

Jul 15, 2016 at 03:08 PM
matt_m

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Thom Hogan's D500 guide available

So would it be better to struggle through the manual and wait for the Darrell Young book?

Jul 31, 2016 at 09:04 PM
lorac
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Thom Hogan's D500 guide available

Interesting he's back to releasing his guides in a timely manner, rather than it taking nearly two years after the release of a "new" model.

Edited on Aug 01, 2016 at 12:07 AM · View previous versions

Aug 01, 2016 at 12:06 AM
LeifG
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Thom Hogan's D500 guide available

I'm curious what these third party guides give that the manual does not. The only thing I was not able to find in the manual was the AF calibration. I could not for my life find it. Otherwise, the manual seems quite good. And dare I say if you are spending a large wodge on a professional standard camera, surely you should be pretty au fait with cameras anyway, unless you are migrating from Canon, in which case Nikon-ese might not be your first language.

In any case, I find it fun experimenting with the camera settings, discovering how they work, it's a bit like being in a toy shop. Well okay, it's exactly like being in a toy shop but with toys for adults, no, not that kind, what a dirty minded lot you are.

Aug 01, 2016 at 06:01 AM
Chris Dees
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Thom Hogan's D500 guide available

LeifG wrote:
I'm curious what these third party guides give that the manual does not. The only thing I was not able to find in the manual was the AF calibration. I could not for my life find it. Otherwise, the manual seems quite good. And dare I say if you are spending a large wodge on a professional standard camera, surely you should be pretty au fait with cameras anyway, unless you are migrating from Canon, in which case Nikon-ese might not be your first language.

In any case, I find it fun experimenting with the camera settings, discovering how they
...Show more

The manual tels you what possibilities you have. Thom Hogan tels you why and how to use and his preferred settings (with a lot of background information).

Aug 01, 2016 at 08:16 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Thom Hogan's D500 guide available

lorac wrote:
Interesting he's back to releasing his guides in a timely manner, rather than it taking nearly two years after the release of a "new" model.

It's called competition.

Aug 01, 2016 at 08:17 AM
LeifG
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Thom Hogan's D500 guide available

Chris Dees wrote:
The manual tels you what possibilities you have. Thom Hogan tels you why and how to use and his preferred settings (with a lot of background information).

I am surprised a D500 owner would need such a guide.

Aug 01, 2016 at 03:40 PM
Chris Dees
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Thom Hogan's D500 guide available

LeifG wrote:

Not everybody is as bright and pleasant as you (probably) are.

Aug 01, 2016 at 04:47 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Thom Hogan's D500 guide available

matt_m wrote:
So would it be better to struggle through the manual and wait for the Darrell Young book?

I'm told he has a different perspective. DY's books seem to be what the factory manuals should have been.

But explaining how to really work with a body is different.

Aug 01, 2016 at 05:19 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Thom Hogan's D500 guide available

lorac wrote:

Rocky Nook website shows 2 D500 books coming in November.
http://www.rockynook.com/product-category/camera-manuals/nikon/

Aug 01, 2016 at 05:43 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Thom Hogan's D500 guide available

LeifG wrote:

In any case, I find it fun experimenting with the camera settings, discovering how they
...Show more
Chris Dees wrote:

LeifG wrote:

I prefer MY settings (after a few hours with a new body) Nobody shoots like me...
so why in the hell would I want his book?! Besides, people still buy me beers
for my cough D7K "special sauce".

Aug 01, 2016 at 05:47 PM
Elijah
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Thom Hogan's D500 guide available

Worst 30 bucks I'll ever spend. C'mon man, fiddle with your camera for an hour or so and go out with your wife for that $30.

Aug 01, 2016 at 05:57 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Thom Hogan's D500 guide available

Some of us learn very well by reading. I learn better by reading than random experimentation.

Aug 01, 2016 at 07:17 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Thom Hogan's D500 guide available

runamuck wrote:
I learn better by reading than random experimentation.

There's your problem...there's nothing random about it.
Rather a methodical endeavor, that lets you learn the
body inside out in the process (sans any hand holding)

Aug 02, 2016 at 05:48 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.