FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

Archive 2016 · Don't buy Eye-Fi products

sirimiri
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Don't buy Eye-Fi products

Something strange is going on with Eye-Fi. Adorama and B&H list their relatively new Mobi Pro cards as "closeout", "discontinued" or "no longer available" The Toshiba cards are seemingly no longer available either.

Additionally, on August 22nd, Eye-Fi announced:

Eyefi Inc. has combined efforts with Toshiba Corporation to deliver state-of-the-art capabilities into the upcoming versions of Toshiba's FlashAir WiFi SD memory card product line. In addition, Eyefi has added direct support for automatic wireless transfer of images from Toshiba FlashAir cards to Eyefi Mobi apps on all major platforms.

http://www.marketwired.com/press-release/eyefi-announces-technology-licensing-agreement-with-toshiba-2152558.htm

The only Eye-Fi android app available now is the "Legacy X2 Only" version 1.6.7, offered by "Ricoh Innovations", e.g. Ricoh.

It looks like Eye-Fi either sold themselves off, or were bought by others? Whole, or in pieces?

Lastly: the Legacy X2 Only Android app seems to restore direct mode functionality, thank goodness. For now, I can directly transfer images from my 5DIII to my mobile device. Note, the device was one I'd set up over a year ago. I don't know if a new device/app installation will work.

I did install the X2 Card Options for Windows, available from Eye-Fi. I think that's just to set up "infrastructure" mode which I didn't bother with. The app/mobile functionality is what I wanted working again.

Some users of the app state it doesn't work on Android 6.

You have to read Eye-Fi's statements really carefully, to put together the pieces to do all this. They previously shut down their X2 server and support forum for X2 so it's not like someone can specifically ask them today: "what's the precise workflow for getting legacy cards to work again?"

Sep 25, 2016 at 12:19 PM
1       2       3      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.