FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2016 · New D500 - Deja vu all over again

Laslo Varadi
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · New D500 - Deja vu all over again

backdoorhippie wrote:
So I got a little deeper into this today. Normally I'll leave things so my Image Review will immediately show the screen with all the shot EXIF, small preview and histogram. Today, when I experienced the issue, I just had it set to show me the basic preview screen and instead of showing the file information at the bottom I got a gray line. After zooming in and back out the file information appeared. The image review still remained on until I reset it but after that it was fine. No write/card active light was lit.

I'll contact Nikon, forward this
...Show more

I always have had image review on and also do a lot of chimping. And have never experienced this on any of my Nikon's including the D500.

Jul 01, 2016 at 09:04 PM
backdoorhippie
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · New D500 - Deja vu all over again

In general the shooting I do has me in Continuous High mode (10 fps) and this tends to appear after a burst of 3 or more frames. I don't think I've ever experienced it after shooting only a single frame. I feel like I'm closing in on at least the symptoms. If nothing else I just find it odd that I've had it happen on two consecutive bodies and yet I cannot find another user who has experienced it - at least not on a D500.

Jul 02, 2016 at 04:32 AM
SoonerCharlie
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · New D500 - Deja vu all over again

Firmware update is coming for the D500 August / September. According to Nikon Rumors.

http://nikonrumors.com/2016/06/28/major-nikon-d500-firmware-upgrade-rumored-to-be-released-in-august-or-september.aspx/

Jul 02, 2016 at 10:15 AM
backdoorhippie
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · New D500 - Deja vu all over again

Just had a great suggestion from another user. The gray bar on the bottom apparently appears when you touch the bottom of the screen and can be used to do fast scrolling through your images. He asked if I have a screen protector (I do) and wondered if that might be screwing with things.

Doh!! I know I had my initial issue recur before I put the protector back on, but since I don't use the touch screen except with Live View I'm going to try turning that off instead of Image Review and see if that helps.

Jul 02, 2016 at 12:42 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · New D500 - Deja vu all over again

I held off on "operator error" as long as I could. Thx for coming clean.

Jul 02, 2016 at 12:47 PM
davidnholtjr
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · New D500 - Deja vu all over again

backdoorhippie wrote:
So I got a little deeper into this today. Normally I'll leave things so my Image Review will immediately show the screen with all the shot EXIF, small preview and histogram. Today, when I experienced the issue, I just had it set to show me the basic preview screen and instead of showing the file information at the bottom I got a gray line. After zooming in and back out the file information appeared. The image review still remained on until I reset it but after that it was fine. No write/card active light was lit.

I'll contact Nikon, forward this
...Show more

How are you zooming? Button or the touch screen? That gray bar is for the touch screen. if you touch the screen where the info is at the bottom that bar pops up, then you slide your finger side to side on the bar to scroll the pic's. Try turning off the touch controls and the auto image review. I have both of these off and use the play button to review images and the image will go off after 10 sec or so.

Jul 02, 2016 at 03:09 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · New D500 - Deja vu all over again

it goes off pretty quick with mine.
that is the shot "scroll advance bar". ref pg 258 of the manual which may or may not have been perused yet. I strongly suggest you go through the manual page by page with the camera body in hand. less excitement possibly?

if you own a android or iPhone you can download the manual viewer and then have all your camera manuals available on the spot.

Jul 02, 2016 at 03:16 PM
backdoorhippie
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · New D500 - Deja vu all over again

trenchmonkey wrote:
I held off on "operator error" as long as I could. Thx for coming clean.

Don't know that I'd call it "operator error" as much as the fact that the issue was user introduced, something I more than admitted was a possibility given that no one else was experiencing it.

That said, I know\ that I had the image review screen stay on before I put the protector on the second body (I'm looking at the timeline for my previous post concerning this and the receipt and application of my screen protector on the first one and it seems that I believe I applied it the day after it started happening.

I'm going to remove it today and turn the touch screen on again and see. I suspect it is likely this particular screen protector (Kenko from B&H), but if I get it to happen again without it I'll blame it on the oils from my shnozz.

And you all are a condescending lot when you want to be, aren't you?!

Jul 03, 2016 at 07:36 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · New D500 - Deja vu all over again

Given you're the only one experiencing it (and probably guilty of returning
a perfectly good body) kindly forgive a little East Coast condensation.

Jul 03, 2016 at 08:04 AM
backdoorhippie
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · New D500 - Deja vu all over again

If it was the only time I've experienced it I'd be more than willing. I used to live in Central NJ so I've had my fill of arrogant pomposity, so kindly forgive my calling it out when it's needlessly incessant.

Jul 03, 2016 at 08:51 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · New D500 - Deja vu all over again

not all of Central NJ is arrogant pomposity. I live near the Mcmansions not in them. don't worry you carried a bit of it along. its harder then you think to get rid of. I know it well from both sides of the field and not just from the neighborhood.

Jul 03, 2016 at 09:13 AM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.